LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Delaminating Drip Rails?

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-19, 10:40 PM
RandyV
Advanced

Received 52 Likes on 41 Posts

Still looking great. No discolouration or tarnishing. It looks like it came from the factory like this as the rails perfectly match the window trim chrome.
Old 01-21-22, 01:46 AM
LS460Yeet
Driver

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by RandyV
Still looking great. No discolouration or tarnishing. It looks like it came from the factory like this as the rails perfectly match the window trim chrome.
Randy you are an absolute legend for posting that. I’m running into the same problem! I’m going to do the same as you, however I’m also having paint peel on the on the side C pillar trim as pictured revealing the same chrome. Do you think that looks okay if I strip that too? I’m OCD with these kinda things 😭

The following users liked this post:
XLR8ER (02-07-22)
Old 01-22-22, 07:16 AM
EssTooKayT
Rookie

Received 39 Likes on 15 Posts

If you fancy using something like plastidip, you could use one of those 3m rubber eraser wheels to remove the existing laminate/vinyl, and then spray them.
Old 01-22-22, 05:12 PM
LS460Yeet
Driver

Originally Posted by EssTooKayT
If you fancy using something like plastidip, you could use one of those 3m rubber eraser wheels to remove the existing laminate/vinyl, and then spray them.
Hey, so I ended up using a hair dryer and then just peeling the roof rail trim paint slowly and it works really well and actually looks pretty awesome. If anyone wants me to take any pictures I’ll be happy to. Now I just have to take care of the exterior rear right pillar trim paint peeling off but I’m unsure if that will look ugly.
XLR8ER (02-04-22)
Old 02-07-22, 08:52 AM
XLR8ER
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

This website is a Wealth of information !
After years of being annoyed by my roof rails "partial peeling" I followed Randy V post.
With my wife's hair dryer and a "guitar pick" I slowly lifted up and peeled off all the remaining "tape". I bought 91% isopropyl alcohol from Walmart and gently removed all remaining glue residue.. the finished trim looks BETTER than the factory color. Thank You all.
LS460Yeet (02-07-22)
Old 02-27-22, 11:48 PM
mlracing
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Going to have to do this with mine I think, the polished silver on grey/silver paint should be the go. Much better than half damaged that's for sure!
LS460Yeet (02-27-22)
Old 01-25-23, 03:46 PM
pierreluv
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by comotiger
Here are two threads where this issue has been discussed. Looks like a relatively cheap fix if you DIY. Good luck!

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...-on-ls460.html

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...t-peeling.html
this is why I love this site. Thanks again for the information.
Old 07-16-23, 06:10 PM
Gibbs
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yep, this has happened to my 2008 LS460L as well. I was trying to decide how to handle it since I'm prepping the car for sale. After reading this thread, I'm going to try the heat gun removal method and see how the bare metal looks as a trim piece. I'll echo the others and say what a great resource everyone is here.

Last edited by Gibbs; 07-16-23 at 06:18 PM.
Old 07-17-23, 08:18 PM
FlexnLexus
Intermediate

Received 144 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by Gibbs
Yep, this has happened to my 2008 LS460L as well. I was trying to decide how to handle it since I'm prepping the car for sale. After reading this thread, I'm going to try the heat gun removal method and see how the bare metal looks as a trim piece. I'll echo the others and say what a great resource everyone is here.

My 07 LS460L drip rails was peeling too on both sides. So I decided to just slowly peel off the material using my fingers and fingernails that revealed the chrome finish below.

The car honestly looks better with the chrome trim exposed, so I’m going to keep it that way. 😎
Old 09-05-23, 04:16 PM
calves
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For those who have removed their peeling drip rail tape, I'm really curious to see how it looks (notably on a black LS by chance?)
Noticed this of course after going through the car wash. Just seen on the front drivers side here. Scoured through the forums and it seems like there's no straightforward DIY solution when it starts to peel... except for just peeing it all off, which I'm pretty hesitant about.
2007 with 92K.

Old 09-05-23, 05:32 PM
swfla
Lead Lap

Received 1,311 Likes on 1,012 Posts

I suggest you look up the price of new trim pieces, color matched. Then you can decide to leave it, peel it or replace it. BTW, the clips underneath may not hold up to removal without breaking considering the age. Then you have a whole new situation where clips need to be drilled out and new one riveted in.
Old 09-05-23, 06:28 PM
Gibbs
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by calves
For those who have removed their peeling drip rail tape, I'm really curious to see how it looks (notably on a black LS by chance?)
Noticed this of course after going through the car wash. Just seen on the front drivers side here. Scoured through the forums and it seems like there's no straightforward DIY solution when it starts to peel... except for just peeing it all off, which I'm pretty hesitant about.
2007 with 92K.
<SNIP>
@calves Here are some photos of mine in Black Sapphire. I was very reluctant to peel it off, too. But I carefully used a heat gun and some patience and it came off really cleanly. Any excess adhesive came off with 3M automotive adhesive remover (Product# 08984).

calves (11-29-23)
Old 09-05-23, 06:48 PM
swfla
Lead Lap

Received 1,311 Likes on 1,012 Posts

Great photos. I think it looks good. Great details on how to remove as well.
Old 09-05-23, 07:55 PM
LS460Yeet
Driver

trust me, just peel it off with a hairdryer. Comes off perfect (just be a bit slow). I have a black LS460 and it actually looks better without it! I also did the c pillar which also turned out to be like an aluminium type material.

My LS460

Originally Posted by calves
2007 with 92K.

calves (11-29-23)
Old 09-06-23, 03:57 PM
Nospinzone
Forum Moderator

Received 431 Likes on 333 Posts

I think those black cars look even better with the bare metal than with the wrap.

I never ended up painting mine, I just stripped them to the bare metal, looks fine.

Quick Reply: Delaminating Drip Rails?