LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Sirius XM radio problems

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-17, 06:55 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 508 Likes on 385 Posts
Default Sirius XM radio problems

I recently decided to renew my subscription to satellite radio, but have issues.

When I select my sat on my radio, I get "updating", "acquiring signal" and then, "no signal". A couple of times I had a few seconds of sound and then back to "no signal". I reset the signal several times online and also through an agent at Sirius XM, but to no avail. I wonder if my tuner is hooped. I would assume my antenna is fine since my GPS is working.
Ideas? Sirius said to wait a few days and that it should correct itself, but it's been over a week, no joy.
Old 09-14-17, 09:29 AM
enoch861
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

It definitely shouldn't be taking an entire week to update. And even if it did, you should be able to get their channel 1 station. Whenever I activate my radio, it typically takes 2-10 minutes to fix realize that I actually have access to other radios. Never had it take more than 10 minutes. I'm guessing you're also not in the vicinity of tall buildings/skycrapers? Those seem to have a very profound effect the signal.
Otherwise your tuner might be bad. Does the LS have a separate replaceable XM tuner?
Old 09-14-17, 10:30 AM
DavidinCT
Racer

Received 201 Likes on 149 Posts

Originally Posted by roadfrog
I recently decided to renew my subscription to satellite radio, but have issues.

When I select my sat on my radio, I get "updating", "acquiring signal" and then, "no signal". A couple of times I had a few seconds of sound and then back to "no signal". I reset the signal several times online and also through an agent at Sirius XM, but to no avail. I wonder if my tuner is hooped. I would assume my antenna is fine since my GPS is working.
Ideas? Sirius said to wait a few days and that it should correct itself, but it's been over a week, no joy.
I had mine free for 6 months, so it died the other day, I called in and renewed it... and within 5 min it was working showing all my channels. Make sure your doing it outside with full open sky. I tried to do it with some minor trees over me (normally signal comes through fine there) and I had some issues. I moved my car and within 5 min all shows worked.
Old 09-14-17, 02:47 PM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 317 Likes on 275 Posts

They have to re-register your unit when they re-start service. They should have all the information they need, but you know what "should have" gets you...............
Old 09-15-17, 05:41 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

thanks. Yes I had clear open area when resetting the system. I'm also not getting the free preview channel (Ch 1). My guess is a dodgy tuner.
Old 09-15-17, 06:13 AM
Junglequac
Lead Lap

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts

Unfortunately it does indeed sound like a hardware issue. I too use XM the vast majority of the time in spite of now having loaded up 6 DVD-Audio discs (really makes a stupendous difference) and having Spotify (premium), and 1000s of songs on iTunes.
Old 09-15-17, 06:56 AM
DavidinCT
Racer

thanks. Yes I had clear open area when resetting the system. I'm also not getting the free preview channel (Ch 1). My guess is a dodgy tuner.
Oh, even with a clear sky you don't get the preview channels ? If you go to channel 1 does it show your hardware ID ?

From XM's site.

You can go here to send a "refresh" to your hardware using the hardware ID maybe it will reset it. Before you send it, have the car on with a clear view of the sky.
Refreshing your radio is like restarting your computer- if something is acting up, refreshing your radio should fix it.

NOTE: Refreshes are only for satellite radios. Internet radios do not require refreshes.
  1. The refresh signal will be sent from a satellite, so make sure your vehicle is outside and your antenna has a clear view of the sky.
  2. Turn your radio on and tune to Channel 184 for Sirius radios or Channel 1 for XM and SiriusXM radios.
  3. You can send the activation signal online or call 855-MY REFRESH (697-3373). Make sure to have your Radio ID/ESN handy.

https://care.siriusxm.com/retailrefr...#/refreshradio

I wonder how built it is in the navi system, is just a plugin card or something or is it really tied in (meaning a new Navi CPU or such) if your hardware is bad.

Last edited by DavidinCT; 09-15-17 at 07:22 AM.
Old 09-16-17, 04:17 PM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 317 Likes on 275 Posts

It's a separate module that plugs into (via a cable) the back of the nav/radio unit. E-bay has them for ~ $100.
The following 2 users liked this post by sktn77a:
DavidinCT (09-17-17), roadfrog (09-18-17)
Old 09-18-17, 07:13 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Oh, even with a clear sky you don't get the preview channels ? If you go to channel 1 does it show your hardware ID ?
Correct. I'm able to get the ID, but even with Sirius XM's help, I was unable to
do a reset.

Keith: Thanks for that info! This may be next move. I hate to go back into the dash again, but it is what it is.
Old 09-18-17, 05:47 PM
satiger
Instructor

Received 90 Likes on 65 Posts

I received one month free subscription from XM but never be able to activate it. Didn't bother to follow-up with XM. This thread triggered the thought on hardware, will test that with new subscription and report back.
The following users liked this post:
roadfrog (09-19-17)
Old 09-19-17, 07:12 AM
R Z
Pole Position

Received 343 Likes on 262 Posts

Just wondering if it's the antenna. Or if you've had the dash removed to put in your Vaistech device, could the sat connector either not be plugged in correctly, or, perhaps won't work anymore? I know in the 430, my ipod adapter took the sat connection. Not certain how that works on the 460.
Old 09-19-17, 07:21 AM
DavidinCT
Racer

Correct. I'm able to get the ID, but even with Sirius XM's help, I was unable to
do a reset.

Keith: Thanks for that info! This may be next move. I hate to go back into the dash again, but it is what it is.
The dash was apart before ? Do you think it's possible that there is a lose cable in there ? Maybe something is not as tight as it should be ?
Old 09-19-17, 07:31 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Yes my dash has been apart 3 times. Twice for the vaistech (once to install and once to remove) and once for SL3B bluetooth module. Although it's possible that something got missed, I doubt it. As I said, the gps works, so I don't suspect the antenna.
Old 09-19-17, 07:57 AM
jmcraney

Received 272 Likes on 206 Posts

It's unlikely that there is anything wrong with your equipment. And, the GPS and satellite radio do not share an antenna.
The following users liked this post:
roadfrog (09-20-17)
Old 09-20-17, 06:40 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

And, the GPS and satellite radio do not share an antenna.
Thanks for that. My understanding was that they were incorporated onto the same antenna. So where IS the antenna? Built into the rear window?

Quick Reply: Sirius XM radio problems