LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

ML Amp no power

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-17, 12:55 PM
djkraiz
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default ML Amp no power

Bought the car from the auction, when I first got it, there was no sound coming from the radio/navi but the volume **** when turned would display volume increase/decrease on the display, also the 2 little fans on the ML amp would also come on and also I was getting power from one of the connectors on the harness that plugs into the amp, but now after disassembling/assembling the amp, the fans don't come on and when you turn the volume **** it doesn't display anything on the screen and im not getting any power from any of the connectors from that harnesses that go into the amp, I've also checked all the fuses under the hood as well as under the dash on passenger side and driver side.......is the amp dead or am I missing something because as mentioned theres no power on any of the connectors that plug into the amp (used a test light to check for power).....any help is greatly appreciated....thanks
Old 09-26-17, 02:10 PM
djkraiz
Driver School Candidate

*update

i found a fuse box located in the trunk, there were 2 blown fuses that I replaced, now im able to see the volume change on display but still no sound from the headunit, this includes, radio, cd, an bluetooth, i am able to change the bass/treble settings....so can I make a conclusion that the amp has gone bad, and is there anything I can do to repair it myself or do I HAVE to send it in?
Old 09-27-17, 07:05 AM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 322 Likes on 280 Posts

Possibly, but its an expensive guess if you're wrong! Why not take it to the dealer and have them diagnose the problem?

There's really nothing you can do to repair a bad amp. You can send it to United Radio who will repair it (if that is, indeed, the problem) for about $600. At last report, the dealers were charging about twice that for a refurbed amp.
Old 09-27-17, 07:17 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 509 Likes on 386 Posts

I agree with Kieth. At this point I'd leave the final diagnosis to a Toyota or Lexus dealer. Then, you can go from there. There are replacement amps on Ebay for about 1g dollars, but you're better off sending the amp to United, as they replace the faulty parts with improved and failure resistant parts.Turnaround time is also very good...about a week as I recall.
Old 09-27-17, 10:17 AM
djkraiz
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the reply guys, yea I'll probably take it to the dealer and find out what is going on.
Old 09-29-17, 07:27 AM
ALK
Advanced

Received 134 Likes on 108 Posts

Same for me the amp went bad . but luckily my friend could repair the amp. He told that 07 to 09 amps have chance of going bad due the way they were designed. also if you have ASL enabled . the volume increases by speed increase. they are 1700 USD new !! straight from japan even new they do not give warranty on it . I say better to repair it at a reputable repair shop. also sometime buying used amp have no warranty while repairing might give a warranty of the job .

Last edited by ALK; 09-29-17 at 07:32 AM.
Old 09-29-17, 10:49 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 509 Likes on 386 Posts

As I recall, the fault lies in the capacitors that were used. When shops like United repair them, they replace the caps with improved ones and failure afterwards is non-existent. That said, we don't yet know if that's the problem.
Old 09-30-17, 12:49 PM
djkraiz
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ALK
Same for me the amp went bad . but luckily my friend could repair the amp. He told that 07 to 09 amps have chance of going bad due the way they were designed. also if you have ASL enabled . the volume increases by speed increase. they are 1700 USD new !! straight from japan even new they do not give warranty on it . I say better to repair it at a reputable repair shop. also sometime buying used amp have no warranty while repairing might give a warranty of the job .

Do you know or can you find out, what/how your friend repaired the amp? What did he have to replace? Thanks
Old 10-01-17, 06:18 PM
Shibumi1
Lexus Champion

Received 87 Likes on 63 Posts

the amp fuse is in the passenger kick panel.. it's a 20 or 30 amp fuse...check there before going to the dealership..

at the amp there are 2 power leads an 2 grounds.. remember (neg or ground is white/black stripe) pos is black

I recently worked on a car where the oem fuses were good but the amp wasn't getting power.. (a wire break) somewhere between the backseat an trunk. so I followed the oem amp lead to the rear door sill plate then tapped the wire an ran a new wire back to the amp an spliced power back in....
Old 10-20-22, 07:40 PM
Khp512tr
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No power to amp wires and fuses are good FIX

Originally Posted by Shibumi1
the amp fuse is in the passenger kick panel.. it's a 20 or 30 amp fuse...check there before going to the dealership..

at the amp there are 2 power leads an 2 grounds.. remember (neg or ground is white/black stripe) pos is black

I recently worked on a car where the oem fuses were good but the amp wasn't getting power.. (a wire break) somewhere between the backseat an trunk. so I followed the oem amp lead to the rear door sill plate then tapped the wire an ran a new wire back to the amp an spliced power back in....
I have made this repair in the past. Let me tell you how to fix it correctly instead altering or Jerry rigging the wiring.
There is a single black wire that runs from the fuse box under the passenger side dash. This single wire runs under both door sills, underback seat and through to the trunk. Single black wire continues PAST where the two black wire amp loom exits the large wiring loom. You have to strip covering off the large loom about six or so inches past where the two amp wires exit the large loom. There is a Junction that is taped up in that large loom that your looking for. The single black wire that came from the dash is joined with the two black wires from the amp in a sealed little heat shrinked junction. That junction corrodes and this is the problem. Cut that junction completely off strip wires back and crimp them together with a wire connector and your done. Amp fires up and stereo is back to normal.