LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

2012 to 2014 'upgrade' using Carvana !!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-17, 10:36 AM
rgs92
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

OK, thanks satiger. Good luck with the 2014. Mine has been flawless.
Old 10-26-17, 02:05 PM
satiger
Instructor

Received 90 Likes on 65 Posts
Default Carvana review

My experience with Carnava so far remains very positive!.

During their 7 day return window, I identified a noise from front side, called and reported that to Carvana. They gave me two options, either return the car or take it to an ASE certified mechanic or to dealer and submit a warranty claim with them with no out of pocket expense from my side. Dealer replaced wheel bearing under factory warranty.

Later I found some minor scratches on center pillar trim (where driver seat belt comes to rest). I reported that to Carvana. They offered $250 to fix that and gave me an option to counter. I did counter with $350. To approve that, they wanted a written estimate. On the last day of 7th day return window, took the car to a Lexus body shop and got an estimate. That small plastic piece is $370!!. Install cost is another $130. Total $500 - I know its a highway robbery. Any how, I sent that estimate to Carvana with not much expectation. 4 days later it got approved and they asked me to take the car to that Lexus body shop to get that replaced!.

Quite impressed with this whole process. I am certainly sure any dealer would have told me its a wear and tear and wouldn't be covered.
Old 10-26-17, 03:29 PM
comotiger
Pole Position

Received 294 Likes on 252 Posts

Great news, satiger! Since the car is still under new car warranty, the wheel bearing would have been taken care of, regardless of Carvana. But the B pillar trim replacement is really a great deal for you. It's clear that you were falling in love with the car, so I wonder if you would have really returned it if Carvana had declined to pay $500...

As you mentioned in an earlier post, your experience makes one wonder about the business model for Carvana. What is their profit margin that allows them to ship the vehicle to you ($500?), and pay for potential repairs (another $500 in your case) and their own overheads? Was your car traded in, then listed on Carvana? Or was it bought at an auction? Is Carvana an actual company or just a marketplace like Autotrader? Carvana listings show up on Autotrader and cargurus, so maybe it is different from them. Your car was listed on Carvana listings in several cities; do you know exactly where the car was shipped from? BTW, have you checked whether your 2012 LS has been listed on Carvana?

Anyways, what matters now is you acquired a beautiful car and got a great deal! Don't forget to update your signature . Congrats again, and happy motoring!
Old 10-26-17, 04:46 PM
satiger
Instructor

It is not pillar B. I should have been more descriptive. It is a plastic piece facing inside where belt clip comes to rest when unhooked. Any how, I wouldn't have returned the car for that plastic piece - LOL. At the worst, some touch up paint!. Yes, I am liking this car more and more. Somehow I couldn't build that 'connection' with my previous car.

Since Carvana is web based model, they don't have the overhead of running brick and mortar dealerships. May be that's where they differentiate and their cost saving comes. Or they try to emulate Amazon model - loosing money but winning customer base?. Carvana guy told me that they make money by buying cars from customers and sell them at auctions and wholesales. He said not much made in trade-ins. Will see when my car hits their site, not yet.

This car was an early lease return back to dealership here in NJ!. May be they made enough money out of that car, decided to sell it to auction. Carvana got it from an auction. Yes, you are correct, it was listed at various cities in Carvana. That I believe is to maximize views who does only local zip search. It was listed across other sites but when clicked to inquire, it got directed to Carvana.

Yeah, time to update signature.......
Old 10-27-17, 07:05 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,715 Likes on 1,944 Posts

To give you a customer service comparison. I had that same peice get chewed up by the dealer when the car was a couple months old and asked them to replace it, and I was told to pound sand. That’s as a 6 time Lexus owner and customer of that dealership for over 15 years.
Old 10-27-17, 05:17 PM
ABbirds
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

So glad you have good experience with Carvana. I feel much better to buy from them in future.
Old 11-09-17, 01:36 PM
satiger
Instructor

At last my previous LS is listed in Truecar : https://www.truecar.com/used-cars-fo...?zipcode=77009

If anyone needs more details on this car, PM me.

Last edited by satiger; 11-09-17 at 01:40 PM.
Old 11-09-17, 02:25 PM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Received 337 Likes on 290 Posts

It looks really good.
Old 11-12-17, 08:58 AM
satiger
Instructor

Originally Posted by satiger
At last my previous LS is listed in Truecar : https://www.truecar.com/used-cars-fo...?zipcode=77009

If anyone needs more details on this car, PM me.
Sold - in few days!. Tan interior with L base is very rare, may be that played a role.

Regardless, whom ever got it, they can still enjoy that new car smell
Old 11-28-17, 10:57 AM
satiger
Instructor

Default Carvana update - II

Here is the latest and probably the last update on my Carvana purchase;

Since the temporary license plate which was issued by Carava at the time of purchase was nearing the end date, sent a email to registration team. No response. Few days later called customer service. Rep informed me that Carnava is unable to issue another temporary plate or extend existing one due to some NJ laws, asked to me go to DMV and get one. If there is a fee, he asked me to submit for re-imbursement.

Went to local DMV and they promptly told me that they don't issue temporary plates and has to come from dealer. With frustration, called Carnava. The rep apologized for my inconvenience and put me on hold and after talking to registration team informed me the title/registration is delayed by week and will provide a rental car to cover that period. I accepted that and picked the rental car today - intermediate size car was offered. At least I hope this put some pressure on registration team to speed up my paperwork.

Overall I am very happy with Carvana.
Old 11-28-17, 11:04 AM
comotiger
Pole Position

Received 294 Likes on 252 Posts

Originally Posted by satiger
Here is the latest and probably the last update on my Carvana purchase;
Since the temporary license plate which was issued by Carava at the time of purchase was nearing the end date, sent a email to registration team. No response. Few days later called customer service. Rep informed me that Carnava is unable to issue another temporary plate or extend existing one due to some NJ laws, asked to me go to DMV and get one. If there is a fee, he asked me to submit for re-imbursement.
Went to local DMV and they promptly told me that they don't issue temporary plates and has to come from dealer. With frustration, called Carnava. The rep apologized for my inconvenience and put me on hold and after talking to registration team informed me the title/registration is delayed by week and will provide a rental car to cover that period. I accepted that and picked the rental car today - intermediate size car was offered. At least I hope this put some pressure on registration team to speed up my paperwork.
Overall I am very happy with Carvana.
The paperwork is always a pain, especially dealing with a web-based company like Carvana. I hope things go smoothly from hereon. While it's good to know you are still happy with Carvana, the more important question is your happiness index with the car you bought! I hope it is still bringing a smile to your face every time you step inside