LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Ambient light near glove box

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-17, 08:04 AM
FatherTo1
Racer

Received 114 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by tofuprod
Noticed this for the first time the other day.. interesting.
Really, tofuprod? Your eyes must be better than mine. If it gets brighter again then I couldn't detect it. I will have to take a closer look next time. Last night it seemed to dim by 90% when I moved out of Park and it didn't seem to get appreciably brighter after that until the next engine start.
Old 11-04-17, 08:36 AM
satiger
Instructor

Received 90 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by FatherTo1
Thanks comotiger and satiger. My total cost was $230 from my mechanic. Lexus dealership quoted $312. I originally planned to do it myself 4-5 months ago and found the part for about $150 online. I never got around to ordering it and just scheduled the appt with my indie instead.

A shame it stays dim even after moving back into Park, comotiger.
Thanks for the info. Do you happen to have the part number?.

I will ask dealer if covered under factory warranty, else will fix it myself.
Old 11-04-17, 08:43 AM
FatherTo1
Racer

Originally Posted by satiger
Thanks for the info. Do you happen to have the part number?.

I will ask dealer if covered under factory warranty, else will fix it myself.
Satiger, it is 55011-50090 ("Garnish Light Assembly"). I now see on my invoice that my mechanic charged $130 for the part.
The following users liked this post:
satiger (02-22-18)
Old 11-04-17, 08:50 AM
FatherTo1
Racer

Satiger, I find it odd that mine failed and yours is only partially working. It is not a part I expected to have problems on the LS. LEDs are supposed to be pretty resilient. I wonder if Pattern 1 (light-saber pattern) is more prone to burnout than the gradual Pattern 2 illumination, like on the 4-inch strip above the side-mirror controls. Granted, our cars represent just two incidents but perhaps the ambient strip burns out more frequently and most owners might not even be aware that there's supposed to be a strip of light above the glove compartment. I certainly missed the fact when I was inspecting the car for purchase, and so did my mechanic.
Old 11-04-17, 09:40 AM
tofuprod
Instructor

Received 258 Likes on 199 Posts

Really, tofuprod? Your eyes must be better than mine. If it gets brighter again then I couldn't detect it. I will have to take a closer look next time. Last night it seemed to dim by 90% when I moved out of Park and it didn't seem to get appreciably brighter after that until the next engine start.
Indeed, at least in mine it did. I was at the office the other day when I read this thread, then when I left it was already dark out - it definitely did dim when I shifted from Park into Drive, and it "seemed" to get brighter as I drove, but it could have just been my eyes adjusted. It did however did noticeably dim when I shifted from park to drive.
Old 02-15-18, 06:43 PM
lizhekb
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Thanks comotiger and satiger. My total cost was $230 from my mechanic. Lexus dealership quoted $312. I originally planned to do it myself 4-5 months ago and found the part for about $150 online. I never got around to ordering it and just scheduled the appt with my indie instead.

A shame it stays dim even after moving back into Park, comotiger.
Thank you for the video.
I wonder where I can find this setting on my 2013 LS460.
I searched my manual and did not find anything about this ambient light setting.
Mine does not illuminate at all, but I open the glove box I can see a white strip there under the trim. Am I miss something or the light is broken?
Thank you.
Old 02-15-18, 08:23 PM
FatherTo1
Racer

Originally Posted by lizhekb
Thank you for the video.
I wonder where I can find this setting on my 2013 LS460.
I searched my manual and did not find anything about this ambient light setting.
Mine does not illuminate at all, but I open the glove box I can see a white strip there under the trim. Am I miss something or the light is broken?
Thank you.
Hi lizhekb, I had to order a
Bluetooth OBDII scanner Bluetooth OBDII scanner
and paired it with the Carista Android app to toggle between Advanced Illumination patterns. My mechanic also offers to make personal setting changes for free but I just wanted to learn more about the available options myself. If yours is also broken or burned out then I wonder if the strip of ambient lighting above the glove box is prone to failure (unfortunately, maybe more so in 2013 model years)?

I wanted everything working so I went ahead and paid the cost. In hindsight I would rather spend the money elsewhere because I barely notice the ambient light strip when it is working. It is nice when in Park but dims too much when in Drive, to the point that I don't notice the ambient light at all because I seldom sit in Park for very long (at night).

Last edited by FatherTo1; 02-15-18 at 08:27 PM.
Old 02-16-18, 05:06 AM
lizhekb
Driver

Hi lizhekb, I had to order a Bluetooth OBDII scanner and paired it with the Carista Android app to toggle between Advanced Illumination patterns. My mechanic also offers to make personal setting changes for free but I just wanted to learn more about the available options myself. If yours is also broken or burned out then I wonder if the strip of ambient lighting above the glove box is prone to failure (unfortunately, maybe more so in 2013 model years)?

I wanted everything working so I went ahead and paid the cost. In hindsight I would rather spend the money elsewhere because I barely notice the ambient light strip when it is working. It is nice when in Park but dims too much when in Drive, to the point that I don't notice the ambient light at all because I seldom sit in Park for very long (at night).
Thank you for the information.

When I purchased the car I did not check the ambient light as well and did not expect a problem like this.

I would get it fixed but don't know how long it will last if it is a common problem.

I think from the video there are two parts illuminating, the trim left of steering wheel and the trim above the glove box. Did you have to fix both or just the glove side?

Cause both won't work on mine.

Thank you.

Last edited by lizhekb; 02-16-18 at 05:46 AM.
Old 02-21-18, 01:00 PM
FatherTo1
Racer

Thank you for the information.

When I purchased the car I did not check the ambient light as well and did not expect a problem like this.

I would get it fixed but don't know how long it will last if it is a common problem.

I think from the video there are two parts illuminating, the trim left of steering wheel and the trim above the glove box. Did you have to fix both or just the glove side?

Cause both won't work on mine.

Thank you.
Sorry, I didn't catch your last question the first time I read your post. You are correct that there's a short span of ambient light strip to the left of the steering wheel too. I only had issues with the strip above the glove box.
Old 02-22-18, 05:37 AM
lizhekb
Driver

Sorry, I didn't catch your last question the first time I read your post. You are correct that there's a short span of ambient light strip to the left of the steering wheel too. I only had issues with the strip above the glove box.
Thank you. actually your original post said that you only had the problem with the glove box one, I just want to confirm.

It seems the parts only cost 150 for both side. Is there any instruction on how to fix it on our own?

the left side trim is easy to dismemtal, just pull it out gentlly. The globe box one I did not figure out how to remove.
Old 02-22-18, 06:34 AM
FatherTo1
Racer

Thank you. actually your original post said that you only had the problem with the glove box one, I just want to confirm.

It seems the parts only cost 150 for both side. Is there any instruction on how to fix it on our own?

the left side trim is easy to dismemtal, just pull it out gentlly. The globe box one I did not figure out how to remove.
lizhekb, I do recall finding instructions before and was about to try to replace it myself too at first. It is definitely doable and you just have to be careful around the airbag beneath the glove box. I will try to find and post the instructions.

EDIT: I can't remember if there was a YouTube video documenting the disassembly and I couldn't find one this time. I have attached a PDF from one of my online repair subscriptions. It covers both the left- and right-side ambient strips. Hope it helps, lizhekb. Oh, and interestingly, I came across a page about some "M2 ambient light sensor". It looks more like a plug with six contacts and it resides beneath the hood. I wonder if we can somehow disconnect it or fool it into keeping the ambient light on instead of dimming it while in Drive. I will have to look into it more when there's time.
Attached Files

Last edited by FatherTo1; 02-22-18 at 07:10 AM.
Old 02-22-18, 02:49 PM
lizhekb
Driver

lizhekb, I do recall finding instructions before and was about to try to replace it myself too at first. It is definitely doable and you just have to be careful around the airbag beneath the glove box. I will try to find and post the instructions.

EDIT: I can't remember if there was a YouTube video documenting the disassembly and I couldn't find one this time. I have attached a PDF from one of my online repair subscriptions. It covers both the left- and right-side ambient strips. Hope it helps, lizhekb. Oh, and interestingly, I came across a page about some "M2 ambient light sensor". It looks more like a plug with six contacts and it resides beneath the hood. I wonder if we can somehow disconnect it or fool it into keeping the ambient light on instead of dimming it while in Drive. I will have to look into it more when there's time.
Well, that's more than enough information to do it myself. I will study the instruction and then make my plan. It is a big help.

It would be nice if we could personalise some of the options to the car, I will fix it first and join you for a not dimming ambient light solution.