LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Blasted center console!

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-17, 06:07 PM
FatherTo1
Racer

Received 114 Likes on 94 Posts
Default Blasted center console!

Has anyone else had a lanyard or work badge get stuck in the crack in the underside of the armrest/center console cover? I love our 2013 LS but I've encountered some design problems that were never an issue in previous Lexus and Toyotas.

I tugged with considerable force and could not dislodge my clubhouse badge. I was afraid I was on the verge of breaking something and causing an expensive repair. I even tried some modding tools. Ultimately, I had to cut the lanyard.

When this happened a second time, I was more patient and realized there is a small light underneath the arm rest and that the crack exists because a part in the lid happens to slide open/away as you close the center console lid. So the trick was trying to grip my badge while almost completely closing the center console lid. It was so frustrating to deal with to say the least. Such a dumbfounded design, IMO.

Old 10-29-17, 08:21 PM
johnnyg66
Racer

Received 152 Likes on 130 Posts

I had a small plastic bag get caught in there before. Keep one in center that holds some gift cards. It got wedged in good and took some good pulling to get it free.
Old 10-30-17, 12:57 PM
comotiger
Pole Position

Received 294 Likes on 252 Posts

Hi Fto1, your picture is such a close-up that I am having a hard time visualizing the location and your problem. Luckily, I don't have to wear a lanyard badge for work, so haven't had this problem. In general, I have been pleased with the utility of my center console and haven't had any issues.
Old 10-30-17, 02:21 PM
FatherTo1
Racer

Received 114 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by comotiger
Hi Fto1, your picture is such a close-up that I am having a hard time visualizing the location and your problem. Luckily, I don't have to wear a lanyard badge for work, so haven't had this problem. In general, I have been pleased with the utility of my center console and haven't had any issues.

Sorry about the dark photo, comotiger. It was from the first occurrence a month or two ago and happened as I was leaving my parents' home at night. Below is a much better photo. That edge (circled in photo) is where I had the lanyard and also an actual badge eaten by the console. The console refused to release the lanyard once it had its jaws locked. There must be a latch that closes because when the lanyard was stuck it would catch on something so that I couldn't pull it straight out. Instead if felt like flossing a tooth with the lanyard. When it happened a second time, I was calmer and it was morning with plenty of daylight. I started to examine things more closely and if you keep a finger on that edge and slowly close the console lid then you'll feel the edge slide ajar. I have no idea what the purpose is of that edge sliding open and close beneath the lid, especially since it only slides open as the lid is lowered.

I love all the important things about our LS (V8, comfort, style, ride quality, prestige, etc), but the glove compartment, center console, and seat belt buckles have been sore spots and areas that never presented a problem in previous cars we had of any make/model (mostly Honda/Toyota/Lexus).

Below is an example of how the seat belt flange can orient itself 90 degrees and literally stab into the side of the front seat. This has happened at least twice and would happen more often if I wasn't aware of it and careful when moving the front seats. The first time it occurred was just two weeks after purchasing the car. I was livid because it left a good 1/3" divot on the side bolster and seatback. I was lucky it didn't puncture the leather. It was lodged so tighty that I couldn't dislodge the belt flange at first. All of this was caused by simply having the seat in the forward position and hitting a memory button to move the seat back to a normal seating position. I feverishly YouTubed how to get wrinkles and dents out of foam and leather seats and, after 20 minutes with a blowdryer, I was able to massage the damage out. I never encountered these issues before with any previous car. Other LS owners please take heed and watch out for the seat belt flange.

Old 10-30-17, 03:21 PM
comotiger
Pole Position

Received 294 Likes on 252 Posts

Originally Posted by FatherTo1
Sorry about the dark photo, comotiger. It was from the first occurrence a month or two ago and happened as I was leaving my parents' home at night. Below is a much better photo. That edge (circled in photo) is where I had the lanyard and also an actual badge eaten by the console. The console refused to release the lanyard once it had its jaws locked. There must be a latch that closes because when the lanyard was stuck it would catch on something so that I couldn't pull it straight out. Instead if felt like flossing a tooth with the lanyard. When it happened a second time, I was calmer and it was morning with plenty of daylight. I started to examine things more closely and if you keep a finger on that edge and slowly close the console lid then you'll feel the edge slide ajar. I have no idea what the purpose is of that edge sliding open and close beneath the lid, especially since it only slides open as the lid is lowered.
Thanks, I see it now. I think that edge slides open to accomodate the lip of the upper tray when you close the console. See photo below indicating the lip. Maybe you had the lanyard draped over the lip of the upper tray and when you lifted the armrest, it got caught in that edge that slide shut. Why have a sliding edge there is another question. By creating an tight seal around that lip, maybe the edge reduces sound or heat in the cabin.