LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Update Navigation/Get apps

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-17, 07:29 AM
EddieP1215
Driver

Received 47 Likes on 25 Posts
Default Update Navigation/Get apps

Good morning all,
I've had my LS for almost a week and now I'm trying to make it "mine" instead of a new car purchase. Is there a step by step way to update the navigation/get apps for the system? I was reading the owner's manual and it gives a website to register on; but when I went to the site I didn't see where it says "new owner register here, etc." Does anyone know of a more streamlined/direct way I can get this done so I can update the infotainment system? Thanks for any help given.
Old 11-01-17, 07:59 AM
joedaddy1
Racer

Received 191 Likes on 148 Posts

what year is your car?
Old 11-01-17, 09:48 AM
EddieP1215
Driver

Thanks for the quick reply. It's a 2013.
Old 11-06-17, 02:42 AM
EddieP1215
Driver

Originally Posted by EddieP1215
Thanks for the quick reply. It's a 2013.
Can anyone assist?
Old 11-06-17, 06:49 AM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Received 337 Likes on 290 Posts

You have to take it to the dealer to update the navigation software.
Old 11-06-17, 07:23 AM
EddieP1215
Driver

Ok thanks. Is the charge for it pretty reasonable? I saw a video online where someone registered on a site, downloaded the update on a usb drive, and then put it in his car and downloaded the update himself. Thanks what led to me asking, because I didn't know if it was information they gave you when you purchase a new Lexus or whether you had access no matter new or used.
Old 11-06-17, 07:38 AM
213374U
Lexus Test Driver

Received 138 Likes on 119 Posts

I believe Nav updates are somewhere around $150. But even with the update you'll have a nav system that feels a decade old because it seems to be the one area that Lexus/Toyota can't get right. You'll have updated maps, but that's about it.

If I could get Waze on the display I'd be all for it, but until then I'll stick to my windshield phone mount. Just waiting for the day that auto manufacturers do away with all the garbage and let us just cast our devices screen to the vehicle's screen, but I imagine that would kill a fairly profitable piece of their business model.
Old 11-06-17, 08:42 PM
Cubbylex
Intermediate

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

Hi

Just wanted to let you know I had my 2010 in for nav update last Thursday . The update USB device was $99 and install was $169 plus taxes.

Mine was last updated in 13 so I figured 4 years was a good time to update.

Unfortunately, I have not had time to check out the updates but I live in North Texas and the map changes hourly so it's probably obsolete by next Monday.

There is much discussion on this site as to whether it is a good option to do the update because of so much changes in the technology both vehicle and phone, etc. I think, for me, it was something I wanted and that was it for me. Others may not think so.

i do find the voice command on the Lexus of this year to be very annoying when. Trying to set a destination or even try to use the phone. It is very picky on when you can talk and what you can say.

My my parents have a 14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit with nav and it will take sentence commands when you press the voice button. Very simple and easy to use. Also when changing stations or just about everything is easier and more intuitive.

That at being said, I love my LS for many other reasons than just the nav system. It is a lwb and that room in the back is priceless. I also have the upgraded back seats with massage and a/c and other bits that make passenger ride in back quiet and elegant.

After growing up in a household where we got a new car about every 18 months, I am still blown away by the attention to detail, quality and serenity in this car. While the front is very sedate compared to others, I have learned to love it. It reminds me of Mercedes in the 60-70 era when there wasn't much style change but you knew the quality was there and it stood the test of time. I can't talk about later eras as I don't know much about them, but ores here have owned them and now drive Lexus.

Sorry to go on here, more than what you wanted to know, I'm sure.

take care

cubby
Old 11-07-17, 04:13 AM
EddieP1215
Driver

Originally Posted by Cubbylex
Hi

Just wanted to let you know I had my 2010 in for nav update last Thursday . The update USB device was $99 and install was $169 plus taxes.

Mine was last updated in 13 so I figured 4 years was a good time to update.

Unfortunately, I have not had time to check out the updates but I live in North Texas and the map changes hourly so it's probably obsolete by next Monday.

There is much discussion on this site as to whether it is a good option to do the update because of so much changes in the technology both vehicle and phone, etc. I think, for me, it was something I wanted and that was it for me. Others may not think so.

i do find the voice command on the Lexus of this year to be very annoying when. Trying to set a destination or even try to use the phone. It is very picky on when you can talk and what you can say.

My my parents have a 14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit with nav and it will take sentence commands when you press the voice button. Very simple and easy to use. Also when changing stations or just about everything is easier and more intuitive.

That at being said, I love my LS for many other reasons than just the nav system. It is a lwb and that room in the back is priceless. I also have the upgraded back seats with massage and a/c and other bits that make passenger ride in back quiet and elegant.

After growing up in a household where we got a new car about every 18 months, I am still blown away by the attention to detail, quality and serenity in this car. While the front is very sedate compared to others, I have learned to love it. It reminds me of Mercedes in the 60-70 era when there wasn't much style change but you knew the quality was there and it stood the test of time. I can't talk about later eras as I don't know much about them, but ores here have owned them and now drive Lexus.

Sorry to go on here, more than what you wanted to know, I'm sure.

take care

cubby

I appreciate the info. I'll call and see about pricing the update. Buying the car used I don't kno when it was last updated (if ever), and so I want a fresh starting point ya know. Of course I don't expect it to be on the level of our cell phones, but I like my phones free when I'm driving lol. I don't like windshield mounts, etc.

And I appreciate you talking about your car. I wanted the LWB, but I like the F Sport a tad more. Other than the rims (the heck kinda design is that lol). I've always wanted a LS, ever since the 2007+ Executive package. Took a while but I finally have one and I couldn't be happier.
Old 11-07-17, 06:30 AM
DJWLDW
Pole Position

Received 463 Likes on 345 Posts

Eddie

If you scroll through the Nav info section it will show you what version is installed. The version is always 1 year behind the model year so if the Nav on your 2013 has never been updated it should be version 12. A new version usually comes out in Sep/Oct if I remember right when the new model year car is coming out. The version that just came out should be Version 17 on the 2018's. Back in 2015 Lexus had the upgrade on sale for $99 and it was V14. The total cost of upgrading my 2010 LS from V9 to V14 was $220.83

Dennis