LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Lane departure assit and radar cruise control in action

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-17, 01:29 PM
satiger
Instructor

Received 90 Likes on 65 Posts
Default Lane departure assit and radar cruise control in action

On my way to work, decided to record radar cruise control and lane departure assist in action. I couldn't move the camera far away to show complete steering wheel view but it shows partial steering wheel and the road.

The warning message (beep) would appear at set interval reminding driver to hold the steering wheel. I would feather touch and beep would disappear. An interesting experience to see how a feature touch on the wood/leather steering wheel is sensed.

Old 11-02-17, 02:26 PM
Dave144239
Instructor

Received 206 Likes on 157 Posts

That's cool! Now you just need to update your title to say 'assist'
Old 11-02-17, 03:15 PM
comotiger
Pole Position

Received 294 Likes on 252 Posts

Hello satiger,

That's a nice demo of the DRCC and LKA features. The thing is this LKA feature will not let the car drive itself on curves etc. unassisted. As soon as it notices your hands are not on the steering wheel, LKA is canceled (blinking icon), and you have to touch the steering wheel to guide the car. I can feel the steering LKA assist keeping me within a lane, but that only works with hands on the wheel. This system is a dated version of driver-assist and cannot compare to the semi-autonomous abilities of the S-class which will steer the car thru curves on the highway with no steering input from the driver, and even change lanes without driver input when the turn signal is activated. The new LS500/600h has a system that comes close. Check out the video starting at 1:10 (thanks to yardie876)

I noticed the Driver Attention monitor LEDs blinking. I have tried in vain to "activate" the system by bowing my head, closing my eyes for 1-2 seconds, and turning my head sideways. Let's see if you can figure out a way to activate it.

Lastly, I noticed you turned off your display screen. Just thought I would remind you that you can replace the black screen with an image of your choice by uploading images in the Vehicle Settings menu.

Happy motoring and be safe!

Last edited by comotiger; 11-02-17 at 04:03 PM.
Old 11-02-17, 04:44 PM
Nospinzone

Received 416 Likes on 322 Posts

I have a friend with a new S550. He generally does not like to drive. He states that the car by itself drives better than he does.
Old 11-02-17, 05:12 PM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Received 337 Likes on 290 Posts

Originally Posted by comotiger
Hello satiger,

That's a nice demo of the DRCC and LKA features. The thing is this LKA feature will not let the car drive itself on curves etc. unassisted. As soon as it notices your hands are not on the steering wheel, LKA is canceled (blinking icon), and you have to touch the steering wheel to guide the car. I can feel the steering LKA assist keeping me within a lane, but that only works with hands on the wheel. This system is a dated version of driver-assist and cannot compare to the semi-autonomous abilities of the S-class which will steer the car thru curves on the highway with no steering input from the driver, and even change lanes without driver input when the turn signal is activated. The new LS500/600h has a system that comes close. Check out the video starting at 1:10 (thanks to yardie876)
https://youtu.be/iQB_0M3vc3Y

I noticed the Driver Attention monitor LEDs blinking. I have tried in vain to "activate" the system by bowing my head, closing my eyes for 1-2 seconds, and turning my head sideways. Let's see if you can figure out a way to activate it.

Lastly, I noticed you turned off your display screen. Just thought I would remind you that you can replace the black screen with an image of your choice by uploading images in the Vehicle Settings menu.

That video was pretty cool.
Old 11-02-17, 05:29 PM
satiger
Instructor

Originally Posted by Dave144239
That's cool! Now you just need to update your title to say 'assist'
LOL - not sure how to correct the title. Couldn't find a way to edit the title...
Old 11-02-17, 05:42 PM
satiger
Instructor

Originally Posted by comotiger
Hello satiger,

Hello Comotiger, thanks for sharing the video, its cool.

I haven't tried LKA and DRCC that often. Based on today's observation I think LKA keeps the car within the lane even when hands are not controlling the steering. I noticed that blinking driver attention monitor when I turned my head to check the phone recording. If my memory serves correctly, at that time by hands were off. So, my theory is if LKA and DRCC is engaged and hands are off when head turns or eye is not looking straight, driver attention monitor gets activated. I suppose this is to prevent driver falls asleep while in auto mode.

Oh S550, please no . Went through that dilemma. My wife and I found S550 interior design to be bit classic and lacks modern touch. Not about the material quality or workmanship but the dash design....
Old 11-02-17, 05:49 PM
satiger
Instructor

Originally Posted by Nospinzone
I have a friend with a new S550. He generally does not like to drive. He states that the car by itself drives better than he does.
Which year S550?.