LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

2017 Lexus LS460 Normal or Abnormal Problems? Lemon?

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-18, 10:08 AM
alexsystem
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You know my car from date of manufacture to date of sale was about 6 months, I’m going to give a try on a bottle of that HEET stuff and see what’s what I’ve used it in older cars if I was going to let it sit for a while. I sometimes have a rough idle too. It’s worth a try! Thank you!

Last edited by alexsystem; 04-01-18 at 10:18 AM.
Old 04-01-18, 10:12 AM
Gbp
Lexus Champion

Received 60 Likes on 56 Posts

I can’t help with your problems, but it sounds like trying to use the lemon law is the best approach. Buy a vehicle and service you’re happy with, Lexus or otherwise.
Old 04-01-18, 10:45 AM
satiger
Instructor

Received 90 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by alexsystem
You know my car from date of manufacture to date of sale was about 6 months, I’m going to give a try on a bottle of that HEET stuff and see what’s what I’ve used it in older cars if I was going to let it sit for a while. I sometimes have a rough idle too. It’s worth a try! Thank you!
Sorry to hear all these issues with your car.

Trunk lid : few times in the past when I open the truck with key fob, it opens an inch or two and stops. I will have to give a manual push to open that fully. Not like your - i.e auto closes. I asked Lexus to check the trunk motor and assembly. They reported no issues, couldn't replicate as well no codes. So told them that I try to capture video next time when that happens. The only problem is its very random. I will have to turn on camera every time I opens the trunk hoping to capture this issue

Rough idling: what type of gas do you use?. Is it normally driven on highways or short local drives?. I personally wouldn't add additives but if I have to I will try Sea Foam. I had good results using Sea Foam on other two Lexus.

Headliner : never heard that issue regardless of Lexus models.

Wind noise : is it fixed or still an issue?.
Old 04-01-18, 11:15 AM
FatherTo1
Racer

Received 115 Likes on 95 Posts

I think I’ve treated everyone who has tried to help or responded very respectfully to this date to your post. I have even thanked them for small suggestions. As for your commentary nothing gained, nothing lost! Have a nice day!
I agree that you've been quite patient with Lexus and respectful in your posts. SW17LS has provided a lot of help to others over the years, myself included, and has been a good source of knowledge. That said, several have taken issue with SW17LS's delivery and style of communication. I took offense early on too, years ago, but over time have realized there is truth to his words if I read it objectively. Despite that, I disagree with his advice to trade the car in. Money doesn't grow on trees and I would be upset even if those issues crept up on an used CPO LS, let alone a new LS.

Shad and SW17 are correct though, alexsystem, that your issue(s) unfortunately are extremely rare. I honestly have never seen the headliner issue across our 2 LSes, 2 RXes, and 2 ESes in the family, and also never saw it in previous Toyotas nor Hondas either. Something is definitely not right with the headliner and not normal to me. The possessed trunk is also something I have not seen or read about before. Loose body panels could be due to loose clips but I would expect Lexus to correct that without much resistance. I have received a complementary tranny drain-and-flush plus use of a 2016 loaner RX during the same visit when I brought in an LS 430 last year (Roseville Lexus, CA) and so I am even more mystified by the treatment you've received from multiple Lexus dealerships. I was surprised how well Lexus treated me considering I don't regularly get service at the dealership. I feel for you and wonder if you saw my post #53 about reaching out to the California Bureau of Automotive Repair and filing a case with them? Best of luck to you, alexsystem, and hope you eventually reach a resolution to your satisfaction.
Old 04-01-18, 08:03 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 509 Likes on 386 Posts

I'm not sure I read into SW17's post in the same tone you did alexsystem....I'm not getting the same message from it that you apparently got.
Nor did I. Steve is always helpful, which sometimes involves brutal honesty.

I agree with what he says, particularly with expending so much energy on battles with cars. In my case, my previous BMW took up so much of my time, I finally thought, "that's it, time to get rid of it and move on. This drama is killing me". I then traded it in on my LS and never looked back.
Old 04-01-18, 10:05 PM
TexasTea
Rookie

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

The youtube video of the trunk opening and closing appears like the LS460 may be parked on a sloped driveway with the front raised higher than the rear. Maybe there is some trunk lid sensor or maybe the trunk lid motor is not powerful enough to raise the trunk lid with the extra raised up angle. I am guessing that the Lexus dealer service is opening the trunk on a flat surface and is not able to replicate the problem which may be due to the front being elevated.
Old 04-01-18, 10:21 PM
TexasTea
Rookie

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

The Youtube video of the front passenger-side bumper rattling sounds like an unattached bumper clip, or an unsecured fog light/round sensor electrical wire, or maybe a lodged pebble may be rattling around in the bumper area. Maybe the Lexus dealer service can probe around the passenger underside of the bumper and worse case remove the front bumper to see what could be causing the rattling.
Old 04-02-18, 08:13 PM
Kennyr44
Lead Lap

Received 60 Likes on 50 Posts

[QUOTE=sktn77a;10143288]They may have a portion of their salary that is "performance" related but not 100%. And diagnostic work that doesn't result in a repair is usually charged a 1hr minimum.

Do you work at a Lexus dealer that pays their mechanics a salary or are you just assuming this? The flat rate system provides no salary. Every penny is performance based.

Last edited by Kennyr44; 04-02-18 at 08:30 PM.
Old 04-02-18, 08:20 PM
Kennyr44
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by TexasTea
The youtube video of the trunk opening and closing appears like the LS460 may be parked on a sloped driveway with the front raised higher than the rear. Maybe there is some trunk lid sensor or maybe the trunk lid motor is not powerful enough to raise the trunk lid with the extra raised up angle. I am guessing that the Lexus dealer service is opening the trunk on a flat surface and is not able to replicate the problem which may be due to the front being elevated.
Very good observation.
Old 04-02-18, 08:36 PM
FatherTo1
Racer

Received 115 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by TexasTea
Originally Posted by Kennyr44

Very good observation.

I agree that it is an interesting observation, but I imagine many owners take groceries out of the trunk on a regular basis on a sloped driveway. My expectation is Lexus would have designed the trunk mechanism to cope under severe angles. If the trunk lid struggles on inclines then I would expect to see many more complaints from owners. If they can design an e-brake to hold a heavy LS on steep San Francisco streets then Lexus can surely design a trunk that stays open under the same conditions. Maybe whatever is leaking and causing the headliner lumpiness is also causing some moisture damage to sensors or electrical contacts near the trunk. I would pay the expense to have an independent mechanic document and root-cause the issue(s) and then fight to have Lexus re-imburse the cost under warranty and perform the correct repairs. Perhaps also record the trunk issue on level ground to rule out inclines.
Old 04-03-18, 06:25 AM
jmcraney
Forum Moderator

Received 277 Likes on 209 Posts

How did the buyback process work? As in how difficult was it? Were you denied and then they came around later and you got it? I brought my car in around 300 miles for an interior rear panel 3 times (nobody had been in the rear seat yet) that was broken and rattling (dealer said was possibly broken from removing protective shipping plastic since I only had about 300 miles). I’ve been in 4 times for my running issues. Twice for my headliner, 3 times for the whistling noise and now the trunk lid issues. Scott at the Lexus executive branch referred me to the buyback department a while back. That department reviewed my case and said none of it affects the value or drivability of my car enough to make them feel they need to buy it back so pound salt. Now I’m back at the case manager level again about the trunk but the case manager is just saying they’ll document it and Scott stated he is no longer assigned to me so he doesn’t respond to anything. I’m just curious in your situation what prompted the buyback? Attached is the video of the trunk lid issue WITH the case manager voicemail. He basically said he documented it, my car is still under warranty so if it happens more let Crown Lexus know. I updated it with an explanation and Lexus corporates response to the dealer not finding it and fixing it even though they were provided with a video. I just don’t know what it takes with Lexus to get them to really stand behind the product now that they sold it to me or if I can find a solution on this forum where maybe someone else had the same issues and could shed some light on what fixed them.

https://youtu.be/hQBSl0lDazM
I watched your video of your trunk problem. It seems to me that the likely cause of that is a defective lift strut. The lift struts are usually reliable for a few years but occasionally they fail prematurely, because of manufacturing defects. You might try showing your video to a dealer and asking them to replace both lift struts, just to move the issue along - it might work.
Old 04-03-18, 06:42 AM
Kennyr44
Lead Lap

Another good observation. Our bran new Jeep Grand Cherokee's automatic tailgate did this same thing only intermittently also. So infrequently I didn't believe my wife till it happened to me. I took it in and told them it was intermittent. They opened and closed it a couple times and said cannot duplicate and gave me the car back. I walked into the service managers's office and told him it has happened to me twice and I'm not leaving till you agree to replace the struts, motor or whatever. He said ok and ordered a pr strut that fixed it when I returned the next week. Its been a year now and has never failed again.