LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Happy new LS460L Owner

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-17, 03:55 PM
timinfla2
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jrmckinley
I would've met you in Melbourne but had a few things come up for work that didn't allow me to PM you or make the trip this week. With the exception of the paint work, the car looks pretty immaculate to me considering it's almost 10 (model) years old. Not sure about the instrument gauge lighting up, but the dealership will get that diagnosed and fixed. As someone who has put over 300k miles on LS vehicles, I can tell you for the most part these cars are incredibly reliable and predictable (which explains why I, like many others here, continue buying them).

You will notice more noise when the AC seats are turned on- it was that way in my LS430 and now in my 460L so it's just a slightly louder fan sound than what you hear out of the main AC unit. The drawback of having such a quiet car is you hear things like that.. You can get the dealership to check the seat filters to see if they need to be changed (easy and cheap) which may reduce the noise a bit while also making sure you feel the seat cooling/heating.

Not sure on SAT radio issue- I had lots of intermittent signal in my 430 but it was an aftermarket antenna that I added. I haven't had any issues in my 460 with the integrated satellite. But you're right, you shouldn't be losing signal unless you're in an area with some of FL's beautiful over-hanging oak trees.

Keep us posted once you get her back.
Well shucks, maybe next time!

It’s spending the night in w/ the dealer because the paint gets in at 830 tomorrow morning. Should be all buttoned up and pretty by the end of the day.

Just to clarify on the AC seats, I hear the fan turn on for the passenger, and the rear, but not the driver. Just wondering if maybe I should hear a fan turn on when I turn on when I turn on the driver AC seat. Right now I don’t.
Old 11-16-17, 03:56 PM
timinfla2
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Oliver Enterprises
Hey Tim,

Just sort out the issues like you are currently doing, and I believe over the long term with the car you will be very pleased. I still think the 07-09 front end styling looks better than the 10-12 (like mine). And the white looks very elegant.

Jason Oliver
Thanks Jason. I’m pocketing an extra $20 every time the wife sends me to Publix so I can get some vents and not get questioned :-)
Old 11-16-17, 04:00 PM
timinfla2
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by mckellyb
Nice. Very nicely bought.

I have silver over black, which is the same as my '95 Mercedes E320 was, but I was hoping for the colors you found. That's downright purdy!

Mine is similar, though no reclining/cooled rear seats. Bah, they're just rear seat passengers!

I don't think you have rear side window shades...could be wrong, but I thought there was a control for it in the center console near the rear window shade button.

Make certain you can feel a very significant different when switching the suspension from 'comfort' to 'sport'. It should go from almost marshmallow-like to large German sedan immediately, going from soft to firm.

I've gotten to where I'll flick the switch over certain 'bumps' which are really large rises/drops which are gentle. I'll leave it soft on the way up or when it's smooth, then quickly flick the switch to 'sport' just before I drop into the dip. It's kinda fun, manipulating the dampers that way. Almost no impact harshness/feel, yet it doesn't crash down on the bump stops, either.

I don't know what you're coming from, vehicle-wise, but as quick and capable as I thought my 2005 Cadillac STS, the RWD V8 one, was, my LWB '08 LS positively kills it in every single metric. Comfort, MPG, quickness, quality, stereo (yay for the ML!), likely top speed (the Caddy I had to 143 before I backed out of it, and it was running out of steam), trunk volume, interior volume, and a slew of other things.

I can't wait until you find it'll likely return 19+ MPG on a combined commute. Oh, and don't be surprised to see 30 or more on the highway (trips).
You’re 100% correct, no side shades, only a rear window shade. It’s odd, I thought all L versions had side shades - I guess maybe it’s only an option in the Executive Package? Hmm, I dunno.

By the way, I saw you posting elsewhere about your Fakestream - I love it. Do they still make them and how can I find one?

Thank you!
Old 11-16-17, 04:24 PM
Oliver Enterprises
Former Sponsor

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by timinfla2
Thanks Jason. I’m pocketing an extra $20 every time the wife sends me to Publix so I can get some vents and not get questioned :-)
I'm picturing your wife looking in the fridge saying, "getting a little low on milk..." And Tim jumping up with his keys in his hand and blurting out as he hustles to the door, "I'M ON IT!"
The following users liked this post:
steedls400 (11-17-17)
Old 11-16-17, 04:59 PM
timinfla2
Driver School Candidate

Not too-far removed from the truth!
Old 11-17-17, 05:49 AM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Received 375 Likes on 258 Posts

You should hear the fan turn on for the driver seat as well. With the car already at the dealer, I'd ask them to look into it.
Old 11-17-17, 06:28 AM
DJWLDW
Pole Position

Received 466 Likes on 348 Posts

Tim

On my 2010 my side window shades were part of the rear seat upgrade package which was a step down from the Executive Rear Seat Package. So I have the heated and cooled rear seats, vibrating reclining rear seats, powered head rests, audio controls, side window shades and rear AC. I think that is all but I have never been back there so I am not sure.

Dennis
The following users liked this post:
timinfla2 (11-17-17)
Old 11-17-17, 06:40 AM
LS430FL
Instructor

Received 91 Likes on 77 Posts

my 2010 460L has power side and rear shades but no cooled rear seats or reclining rear seats. I did not realize there were this many variations of the lwb cars produced.
Old 11-17-17, 06:46 AM
Oliver Enterprises
Former Sponsor

I have the same year and set-up as Dennis. Mine just sounds better. But, an easy test for the butt cooler. Turn everything off in the car, turn the car off. But turn the driver's butt cooler on high and place the car in the "ON" position, but engine NOT running. If you don't hear the seat fan, then it is NOT working. That fan sound is very noticeable in that condition. Compare it to the passenger side noise, same condition.

All the seat cooling is, is a fan attached to the bottom of the seat, that blows air from under the seat, up into the seat cushions and through the leather perforations (and onto the occupants back side!). The colder the air under the seat, the better it works. There's a duct up under the seat that spews cold air when the A/C is running. I'm wondering (and thinking) that when the FACE & FOOT ventilation setting is active, or just the FOOT setting is activated, more cold air goes up under the seat and the seat will get cooler ... versus just the FACE setting alone and running the seat cooler.

Let us know if it's working. And yes, let the dealer know. Sounds like they are top notch. No such luck with my local dealer.

Last edited by Oliver Enterprises; 11-17-17 at 07:13 AM.
Old 11-17-17, 07:29 AM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Received 375 Likes on 258 Posts

Originally Posted by LS430FL
my 2010 460L has power side and rear shades but no cooled rear seats or reclining rear seats. I did not realize there were this many variations of the lwb cars produced.
Exact same! My 2010 L seems to be equipped like yours- I saw one of the OP's pics of the back seat and looked like the rear seats have memory position buttons. I had no idea there were so many variations either. My only requirements in a 460 were Levinson, 5 star wheels, a color I like, and good service history. I wasn't looking for an "L" but got lucky to find one in a rare color in my area (smoky granite mica) with Levinson, the wheels, and no air suspension. Was a no brainer.
Old 11-17-17, 07:42 AM
Oliver Enterprises
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by jrmckinley
Exact same! My 2010 L seems to be equipped like yours- I saw one of the OP's pics of the back seat and looked like the rear seats have memory position buttons. I had no idea there were so many variations either. My only requirements in a 460 were Levinson, 5 star wheels, a color I like, and good service history. I wasn't looking for an "L" but got lucky to find one in a rare color in my area (smoky granite mica) with Levinson, the wheels, and no air suspension. Was a no brainer.
You, myself and Dennis need to get our cars together and hang out, and wear some ball caps down over our ears, and other hip crap, you know, the kind of stuff us dinosaurs don't do any longer. When are you guys heading to Peachtree City? All 3 of our cars are 2010's, L's and Smoky Granite Mica.
Old 11-17-17, 09:36 AM
timinfla2
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by LS430FL
Yea me neither! I figured by the time you have these options, how in the world don't you have all of them? I'm surprised that my vehicle can park itself, but it doesn't have radar cruise control. That's one of my favorite lazy-man options - especially in bumper-to-bumper driving.
Old 11-17-17, 09:41 AM
timinfla2
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Oliver Enterprises
I have the same year and set-up as Dennis. Mine just sounds better. But, an easy test for the butt cooler. Turn everything off in the car, turn the car off. But turn the driver's butt cooler on high and place the car in the "ON" position, but engine NOT running. If you don't hear the seat fan, then it is NOT working. That fan sound is very noticeable in that condition. Compare it to the passenger side noise, same condition.

All the seat cooling is, is a fan attached to the bottom of the seat, that blows air from under the seat, up into the seat cushions and through the leather perforations (and onto the occupants back side!). The colder the air under the seat, the better it works. There's a duct up under the seat that spews cold air when the A/C is running. I'm wondering (and thinking) that when the FACE & FOOT ventilation setting is active, or just the FOOT setting is activated, more cold air goes up under the seat and the seat will get cooler ... versus just the FACE setting alone and running the seat cooler.

Let us know if it's working. And yes, let the dealer know. Sounds like they are top notch. No such luck with my local dealer.
Why didn't I think of that!? As soon as I get it today, I'll run that test. I turned 40 couple weeks back, so while everything else is rapidly deteriorating on me, my ears are still that of a teenage boy trying to hear into the girl's locker room haha. I'll be able to tell for sure if it's working or not.

I can't say enough good things about this dealership. I swear on my Harley that I don't work for, nor am I in any way compensated by them, but when I get extraordinary service, I'm very vocal about it. Same thing when the service is sub-par as well, though... Bob McGiveney is my sales guy, and he's been so good that my parents asked him to let me know next time they get a trade in with the same specs as mine as they are ready to move at the word go. He's impressed me and my parents, and if I'd send my parents to him, I'd send anybody and feel good about it.

-T
Old 11-17-17, 01:57 PM
DJWLDW
Pole Position

Received 466 Likes on 348 Posts

Jason

My 2010 460L is Deep Sea Mica Blue not Smoky Granite Mica

Dennis
Old 11-19-17, 03:13 PM
smathis71
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts