LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Help me pinpoint this noise..?

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-17, 05:32 PM
tofuprod
Instructor

Received 258 Likes on 199 Posts
Exclamation Help me pinpoint this noise..? VIDEO in first post

So my 2013 LS rides like a dream - comfortable and just whisper quiet..

With one slight catch-

Whenever I start up the car, doesn't matter how cold or warm it is outside, there is this... noise and it seems to come from the navi/climate control area where it sounds like a very quiet mechanical whirring almost as if like there's a small series of actuators in there clicking or adjusting, it seems to go on for about ten to fifteen minutes.. then it stops. I've tried playing with the radio settings, climate control, etc, everything.. but it still happens every time I start up the car.

It isn't the biggest deal since when I turn on the radio, I don't hear it anymore even at low volume. But at times, when I like to drive with the radio off and be in pure silence, it's almost perfect, minus that noise.

Can anyone sort of help?
I would have an audio recording but I do not believe my phone can pick up such sound..

Thank you in advance.
Attached Files
File Type: mov
IMG_6328.mov (220.8 KB, 175 views)

Last edited by tofuprod; 12-15-17 at 06:33 AM. Reason: Uploaded video
Old 11-16-17, 08:48 PM
tofuprod
Instructor

Bump?

Not sure if it's a 'hard drive' noise or something..
Old 12-13-17, 03:34 PM
tofuprod
Instructor

Bump?
Almost sounds like a CD player that's trying to load a CD or something but getting stuck.

No, nothing is in the CD player in my LS.

Help?

I've noticed this whirring-like noise louder now that it's cold out here in Chicago, around 20ish degrees on average.
Old 12-14-17, 03:06 AM
Nospinzone

Received 418 Likes on 322 Posts

Try putting a CD in and see what happens. Play it a bit and then shut it off but leave the CD in.
Old 12-14-17, 06:30 AM
Oliver Enterprises
Former Sponsor

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts

You said there's no CD in there. But are you certain there is no CD stuck in there? My son's G35 had these kind of noises, but it made it obvious there were CDs stuck in there. Maybe it's NOT obvious a CD is stuck in there in an LS. The only way I could guess to figure it out is to try to load 6 CDs. If it will only take 5, then problem. Just a guess, because the noise as you describe sounds like what the G35 was doing.
Old 12-14-17, 02:43 PM
Mekoz
Rookie

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Hmm im experiencing the exact same symptoms as you described. Took it to the dealer and it stays quiet. They told me they cant fix something if they cant replicate. To me it only happens early morning once a day. So after the car sits for 12 hrs or so. Mine just started a 3 days ago, so ill dig into it a lil more and see if i can figure it out.
Mike
Old 12-14-17, 05:03 PM
tofuprod
Instructor

Originally Posted by Oliver Enterprises
You said there's no CD in there. But are you certain there is no CD stuck in there? My son's G35 had these kind of noises, but it made it obvious there were CDs stuck in there. Maybe it's NOT obvious a CD is stuck in there in an LS. The only way I could guess to figure it out is to try to load 6 CDs. If it will only take 5, then problem. Just a guess, because the noise as you describe sounds like what the G35 was doing.
Yes, I tried that and mine is only a single-CD disc player (lol).

It did not remedy the situation, thankfully your exhaust vents helps me "forget" about the noise at times
Old 12-15-17, 05:40 AM
Vansibel
Intermediate

Received 56 Likes on 40 Posts

Not sure if this still affect 2013 model but this sound like "popped out" or broken filter cover arm
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...glove-box.html
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...or-broken.html
To verify expose the glove box filter and confirm that the filter door can still open by itself when set to recirculate. If its close and you can open it manually without any force (don't try to open it if there is resistance or you will break the arm!) then your arm is busted (likely by improper filter change procedure).
Old 12-15-17, 06:28 AM
tofuprod
Instructor

Originally Posted by Vansibel
Not sure if this still affect 2013 model but this sound like "popped out" or broken filter cover arm
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...glove-box.html
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...or-broken.html
To verify expose the glove box filter and confirm that the filter door can still open by itself when set to recirculate. If its close and you can open it manually without any force (don't try to open it if there is resistance or you will break the arm!) then your arm is busted (likely by improper filter change procedure).
See, I thought about that too.. problem is the sound definitely "seems" to be coming from the climate control area, not necessarily the glove box. I specifically took a video this morning to show you all the noise I'm talking about..

This sound is much more prevalent now that the weather here in Chicago has dropped significantly.
Attached Files
File Type: mov
IMG_6328.mov (220.8 KB, 159 views)

Last edited by tofuprod; 12-15-17 at 06:34 AM.
Old 12-15-17, 07:34 AM
Vansibel
Intermediate

Received 56 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by tofuprod
See, I thought about that too.. problem is the sound definitely "seems" to be coming from the climate control area, not necessarily the glove box. I specifically took a video this morning to show you all the noise I'm talking about..

This sound is much more prevalent now that the weather here in Chicago has dropped significantly.
From that sound sample it does sound a bit different
Old 12-15-17, 01:03 PM
Mekoz
Rookie

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I uploaded a vid of the sound my car makes, is it similar to yours?
Old 12-15-17, 07:36 PM
tofuprod
Instructor

Originally Posted by Mekoz
I uploaded a vid of the sound my car makes, is it similar to yours?
https://youtu.be/tCTgUkhAags

Yes, I would say it's 99% just like that, although upon startup when cold it's 10x louder, then it goes to a less audible volume, however still noticeable.
Old 12-15-17, 11:56 PM
chieftd
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a similar sound coming from my dash/radio area and it turned out to be the CD player. It was continually running without a disc in it, would not shut off until car was turned off. The dealer replaced my CD player under warranty (2014 LS460). I recommend to have the CD player checked out. Cheers, Tim
Old 12-16-17, 04:22 AM
tofuprod
Instructor

I'm waking up early to head to the dealership, a guy I've dealt with there on rare occasion when I do happen to go there, will be my point of contact.

I will update with what is said or hopefully resolved, if any.

Edit: (re)scheduled it for Monday at 4:00PM CST. They apparently don't do sound diagnostics on weekends.
Ironically, as I was driving to the dealer, my car made absolutely NO noise inside.

Will update.

Last edited by tofuprod; 12-16-17 at 05:27 AM.
Old 12-29-17, 11:32 AM
tofuprod
Instructor

Update:
So they were able to pinpoint the noise. The noise is coming from a fan in the radio that appeared to be faulty. They had to keep the car overnight so they could try and get the noise to occur again since it doesn't happen all the time.
Since my LS is not under warranty, it would cost roughly $1,000.00 to replace. However my service advisor did say he didn't see that as right and said "not quoted by him", to contact Lexus Customer Service and inform them of my relationship with them (not sure how this will fare, it's my third Lexus with them but we will see) and see if they can offer some sort of resolution to this.

He also informed me since I asked that, while there shouldn't be any issue with this noise in terms of function with the radio or anything, the only thing he could see is IF the fans kept running somehow after the car was shut off (which they have not), where it would eventually drain the battery.

I guess I will update if I ever hear anything back from LCC, though I doubt it.