LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Warped rotor question

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-19, 03:28 AM
smileman83
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks SW17LS. We have identical cars, except mine is the regular wheelbase. Same colors etc. Will check out Rockauto, Obviously Lexus didn't install these. Did you have it done or do it yourself?

Bruce
Old 06-30-19, 03:58 AM
smileman83
Rookie

Checked out the Rockauto site and found everything. When you order an " single axle kit"- it says 2 rotors obviously but then only 1 pad, instead of the 4 needed or doe the one just mean a kit of 4?
Old 06-30-19, 04:31 AM
Benjam1n
Pole Position

Received 95 Likes on 74 Posts

The pads come in packs of four. The rotors are sold individually. If you are looking for awesome braking performance get the PQ (Posi-Quiet) Pro line pads. They're much better than the regular posi-quiet for stopping power if you drive the vehicle hard. Be warned however that they do generate significantly more brake dust but its 100% worth it to me. My Centric premium rotors "warped" eventually but for whatever reason it only showed when they got hot and I lived with it for awhile. This time I went with Raybestos Street Performance (980573) rotors and I'm very happy with the combo on this car.
Old 06-30-19, 07:03 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,730 Likes on 1,956 Posts

Originally Posted by smileman83
Thanks SW17LS. We have identical cars, except mine is the regular wheelbase. Same colors etc. Will check out Rockauto, Obviously Lexus didn't install these. Did you have it done or do it yourself?

Bruce
Cool! You have excellent taste

No, I had my independent mechanic do it. Its pretty easy on the LS, if I had the room and good jacks I could have done it. The one pack of pads consists of enough pads to do both sides. More than enough stopping power in these IMHO, and I've driven the car on this combo (not my 17 yet but my 15) on these rotors and pads and they performed great and didn't warp.
Old 06-30-19, 10:01 AM
smileman83
Rookie

I bought mine with 11k miles and i now have 28k and am just feeling the vibration. Feels like young rotors, so with everyones discussions of warped vs deposits, would i be better off having the existing rotors turned and just replacing the pads? or just replace as the replacement costs of the centric even with labor may be the same as they charge for turning the existing?
Old 06-30-19, 11:14 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Replacement rotors are so cheap resurfacing the rotors you have doesn't make any sense. The labor is actually LESS.
Old 06-30-19, 09:12 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 4,006 Likes on 2,427 Posts

Cryo made no difference at the track. Some say it does, but it didn't for my IS F. Rotors wore out and cracked just like they did without it.

Turning rotors is a waste of time and money. Unless they're centerless ground, like on a Blanchard grinder, they're going to ruin your braking performance from the perspective of how much pressure it takes to perform the same stop.

Pads cannot determine stopping distance. They determine how much effort you put in the pedal for a given stop. Nothing more. If you want to stop in a shorter distance you have only one choice - buy better tires.

Last but not least, unless you're driving a big rig, it's just about impossible to get brakes hot with street driving, especially with the LS platform. What I am hearing in this thread is the OEM pads will transfer material more easily than one would expect, or all the people on this forum drive their LS's way harder than Lexus ever expected. Kind of doubt it's the second one.
Old 06-30-19, 10:02 PM
DedBirdDog
Intermediate

Received 147 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by lobuxracer

Last but not least, unless you're driving a big rig, it's just about impossible to get brakes hot with street driving, especially with the LS platform. What I am hearing in this thread is the OEM pads will transfer material more easily than one would expect, or all the people on this forum drive their LS's way harder than Lexus ever expected. Kind of doubt it's the second one.

Come ride with me in Appalachia. These heavy sleds can generate some serious heat on mountain roads.
Old 06-30-19, 10:38 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 4,006 Likes on 2,427 Posts

Originally Posted by DedBirdDog
Come ride with me in Appalachia. These heavy sleds can generate some serious heat on mountain roads.
Come drive Carolina Motorsports Park and do 2 minute laps with me and we can talk about serious heat.
Old 07-01-19, 08:02 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by DedBirdDog
Absolutely. And I have many times come out of the mountains of WV with brake fade and warped rotors.
The following users liked this post:
DedBirdDog (08-14-19)
Old 08-14-19, 01:31 PM
bezee
Driver

Glad I found this thread. I have been dealing with the "warped" front rotor issue for a while now and the violent shaking when beginning to brake at higher speeds. I replaced the front rotors with OEM just over 2 years ago and I think I'm gonna go the Centric brake kit route this time since the consensus seems to be that OEM rotors simply suck. Especially since i have 161,000 on my 10' 460L I'm gonna leave OEM alone this time.
Old 08-14-19, 06:06 PM
Benjam1n
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Benjam1n
I went with Raybestos Street Performance (980573) rotors and I'm very happy with the combo on this car.
Update: Brakes are "warped" again pretty bad. Lasted about 5k miles over two or three months or so. I drive it hard. Only feels warped when brakes are hot.
Old 08-14-19, 08:19 PM
Caflashbob
Instructor

Received 193 Likes on 152 Posts

Originally Posted by Benjam1n
Update: Brakes are "warped" again pretty bad. Lasted about 5k miles over two or three months or so. I drive it hard. Only feels warped when brakes are hot.
Same car. Akebono ceramic pads. Drive it like a race car. Race brakes. No warp. Way too much fun. I am impatient in traffic. Car wants to go. Pulls hard. Stops to match. Finally. Did the fronts on our Sc. Needs the rears also.

you can easily feel the difference
Old 08-15-19, 06:15 PM
Benjam1n
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Caflashbob
Same car. Akebono ceramic pads. Drive it like a race car. Race brakes. No warp. Way too much fun. I am impatient in traffic. Car wants to go. Pulls hard. Stops to match. Finally. Did the fronts on our Sc. Needs the rears also.

you can easily feel the difference
What rotors do you use? How many miles you got on them? I'm sold. That's how mine likes to drive too. Just can't push it as hard as she likes the brakes feel like they're about to shake off.
Old 08-15-19, 07:52 PM
sdls
Lexus Champion

Received 294 Likes on 242 Posts

I personally don't like Centric much. Lousy experience with an Acura TL and their rotors. But consensus here is that they are great on our cars.. I wonder if anyone tried others like the Bosch QuietCast or something other than Centric.

Quick Reply: Warped rotor question