LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Suggestions on buying a 08 ls460

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-17, 04:22 PM
darksrx
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Suggestions on buying a 08 ls460

Hello guys, so currently I am looking forward to buy an 08 2wd ls460 with 65k miles from carmax. The outdoor price is 25k. And the people from carmax gave me a list of changed parts, seems like the parts changed/repaired by the carmax were the brake pad, trunk/tailgate and windshield blades. Any suggestions on buying this one? I am also wondering what the maintenance cost would be ..?
Old 11-30-17, 04:49 PM
comotiger
Pole Position

Received 294 Likes on 252 Posts

The price seems a bit high! Have you searched the car sites carefully? Seems like you can do much better than 25K for a 2008 LS. Conversely, in this price range, you might be able to upgrade to a 2010+ LS that has significant improvements in the infotainment system and suspension components compared to the 2008 car. Except the trunk/tailgate (motor?), the other stuff is wear/tear. You should find out about replacement of the the control arms and brake actuator. There are plenty of threads on CL with buying advice on various model years, so dig deeper.
Old 11-30-17, 05:14 PM
darksrx
Driver School Candidate

So the thing is that I am afraid of being ripped off from other dealers cuz I only know little about used car. In fact, it is my first time buying a car. And I know buying from carmax is going to cost me more, so I think my concern is with the extra money i paid, are they going to make sure the car is in a good condition.
Old 11-30-17, 05:44 PM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 311 Likes on 270 Posts

Price is too high. As carmax doesn't dicker, look elsewhere. An '08 with 65,000 miles should be $20k or under.

Carmax was sued a couple of years back for selling unsafe cars. They are just another used car dealer
Old 11-30-17, 05:57 PM
Nospinzone

Received 419 Likes on 323 Posts

Originally Posted by darksrx
I only know little about used car. In fact, it is my first time buying a car..
I strongly suggest you find a very qualified mechanic to look over whatever car you are seriously considering buying. It will cost you a few dollars, but in the long run it will be money very well spent.

I agree with the others, that price seems high. And I agree with your skepticism of dealers, have you looked at private sales?
Old 11-30-17, 07:34 PM
comotiger
Pole Position

Received 294 Likes on 252 Posts

So the thing is that I am afraid of being ripped off from other dealers cuz I only know little about used car. In fact, it is my first time buying a car. And I know buying from carmax is going to cost me more, so I think my concern is with the extra money i paid, are they going to make sure the car is in a good condition.
Don't be scared of buying used. Most of us have bought our LSs used. There is plenty of info on the web about tips for buying used cars from dealers or private buyers. Do your research and go prepared. Being in CA, you should be able to get a very good deal on an LS of your choice. As Paul said, when you have narrowed your choice to one car and have agreed upon a sale price, get the car inspected by an indy mechanic in your town. If the car is in another city, pay $150 for a professional pre-purchase inspection (for example, www.lemonsquad.com). If everything checks out OK, you can buy the car without worries.
Old 11-30-17, 07:54 PM
darksrx
Driver School Candidate

when you say 20k is it outdoor or without tax and all other stuffs?
Old 11-30-17, 07:58 PM
darksrx
Driver School Candidate

I've looked around online and could not find any ls with the premium speaker system besides from carmax. Is there a way to find any private sellers? like through craigslist? Also heard that the front air suspension of 07/08 ls460 is very likely to break, is it true? Should I avoid these two models? Thanks a lot in advance!
Old 11-30-17, 09:43 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

The price is way too high, I would not pay 25K for a 2010 or 2011 LS460 with over 60K miles unless it was a fully loaded long wheel base. Nothing they replaced adds to much. The main thing you want to look for being replaced is upper control arms in a 08. Carmax is always too overpriced and they don't deal, they are nothing special and there have been plenty of bad stories from them. I avoid them. For a 08 you should be looking to spend around 17-19K depending on mileage and features.
Old 11-30-17, 09:49 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

I've looked around online and could not find any ls with the premium speaker system besides from carmax. Is there a way to find any private sellers? like through craigslist? Also heard that the front air suspension of 07/08 ls460 is very likely to break, is it true? Should I avoid these two models? Thanks a lot in advance!
Mark Levinson is the higher end premium stereo system, the ones that say Lexus premium sound is what comes standard. I would not overpay for one just because it has ML unless you are really into playing higher end CD's, there was also a issue with older ML amps going and they are very expensive to fix.

All the air suspension systems fail much faster then regular shocks no matter what year, it is best to avoid buying one with air suspension especially if you are on a budget because the dealers charge a fortune to repair them.
Old 11-30-17, 10:14 PM
yyymmm31
Intermediate

Received 223 Likes on 139 Posts

Is this a southern California car and one owner car? Is it always garaged and in premium condition (e.g., little or no signs of wear and tear on the leather seats, doors, etc.)? If so, $25K all inclusive for a premium condition 2008 LS460 with 60K miles is not too out of line with the current southern California dealer market price for 2008 LS460s. Because of the mild southern California climate, local LS460s should not have any rust. A well-maintained/cared southern California 2008 LS460 should still look new and feels new. On the other hand, such premium condition LS 460s are usually found on Lexus dealer lots, not from CARMAX. Lexus dealers usually only keeps and sells premium condition used LS 460s. Lexus dealers also typically offer a 90-day comprehensive warranty for their non-CPO cars. If you are not DIY oriented and are not familiar with LS460s in general, I wouldn't buy a LS460 from CARMAX or a non-Lexus dealer.
Old 12-01-17, 07:05 PM
rick3242
Pit Crew

Received 64 Likes on 56 Posts

I used autotrader and cargurus to find my 460. I was able to find a 2010 460L AWD - One Owner - no accidents with 45,000 miles for under 24K. You may want to look a little bit more. I also found some at carmax - but they cost more. The upside was that they appeared to have clean cars. I assume if you search more you can find just as nice but 5-8K lower cost. Good Luck
Old 12-02-17, 06:13 AM
Craiger
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

when you say 20k is it outdoor or without tax and all other stuffs?
Out the door. It would be less confusing if you guys said that, or OTD. Just saying. Some people don't know what you're talking about.
Old 12-02-17, 09:05 AM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Received 354 Likes on 244 Posts

Carmax thinks nothing of raising the price $10,000 over what is the going rate of a used car and it appears to work for them so why would they stop? People seem to eat up their warranty and pre car inspection, then think they're getting a good all around deal and buying experience, when that's the furthest thing from the truth. First off their inspections can only provide the minimum stuff, like brakes, ball joints, tires, etc. Which is fine but they don't "know" a car or brand like a dealer would...they don't know what to actually check for. They can only provide a basic safety inspection. Not good enough on some cars (like the LS460). And the cushion they provide themselves with their pricing is ridiculous, you'd think they'd be able to really back their cars but I've read many online stories about them doing just the opposite.

I'd shop around, there are plenty of LS460's out there and for the most part people that buy these cars tend to take reasonable care of them...it's not like they're Honda Civics owned by 20 year old kids. These things are owned mostly by adults...adults that could afford to maintain them. You should be able to find a well maintained one at a reasonable price. I'd think a low mileage 08 could be had for $15,000, easily.
Old 12-02-17, 09:37 AM
Dave144239
Instructor

Received 206 Likes on 157 Posts

I just happened to see this video about a clapped-out Mercedes S-class that sold to Carmax for way more than it should have. Interesting.

The following 2 users liked this post by Dave144239:
dlbuckls10 (12-02-17), fwhomeboy (12-23-17)

Quick Reply: Suggestions on buying a 08 ls460