LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Looking for another Car

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-18, 04:02 PM
fwhomeboy
Racer

Received 214 Likes on 180 Posts

Originally Posted by Shad034
Have you looked at Carmax? Here are a number of L's, 2008 or newer.

https://www.carmax.com/search#Distan...ey=0&Zip=27010
This is it https://www.carmax.com/car/15431465
Old 01-30-18, 04:06 PM
Shad034
Driver

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by fwhomeboy
I assumed you might be flexible on color and price. There are a few more there (SIlver L's), albeit they are not under 20k

https://www.carmax.com/search#Distan...ey=0&Zip=27010
Old 01-30-18, 04:12 PM
fwhomeboy
Racer

If only it was here in town or closer to me. I would have a hard time buying it and not driving it first. I really like that one but, I just can't pull the trigger being so far away. I wonder how long it will be before one shows up here?
Old 01-30-18, 04:21 PM
Shad034
Driver

If only it was here in town or closer to me. I would have a hard time buying it and not driving it first. I really like that one but, I just can't pull the trigger being so far away. I wonder how long it will be before one shows up here?
EDIT: I just realized that one you linked is literally down the street from me. That's the dealership I bought mine from just recently. I could go look at it for you if you want. Might give you an idea of whether you want to pay to transfer it out.

I dont know where you are per se, or where the car you want is currently, but you can have it transferred to your nearest Carmax. Might be free, might cost a few bucks. If its free, have it pulled over, if it costs, factor that into the price and keep reading. I had mine pulled in from CA and I live in NV. It was free, so easy decision there.

A couple of thoughts, the same ones I had when I bought cars from CarMax. First, they don't sell junk, they make their money on selling lots of them so its probably fine. However, I never trust that either, but I'll throw it out there.

Second, assuming it IS junk, they have a 5 day no questions asked return policy. You change your mind, don't like it, it smells or runs funny, whatever, bring it back and the deal goes away. If you keep it longer than 5 days before it starts having issues, they have a 30 day warranty on the car that actually doesnt suck. I had mine inspected by the local Lexus dealership who identified that the alignment was off. Carmax service gave it an alignment, resurfaced the rotors (didnt ask for that but it had the Brembo squeal) and replaced the two front tires since they were worn funny from the alignment issue.

So, personally, I think your only risk to having one transferred in is the possibility that you might be out the transfer fee if you don't buy the car. I dont think you have a lot of risk with the car being a lemon.

Last edited by Shad034; 01-30-18 at 04:26 PM.
The following users liked this post:
fwhomeboy (01-30-18)
Old 01-30-18, 04:25 PM
fwhomeboy
Racer

$800 Bucks to transfer it here to me. It's in Vegas and I'm in North Carolina.
Old 01-30-18, 04:28 PM
Shad034
Driver

$800 Bucks to transfer it here to me. It's in Vegas and I'm in North Carolina.
see my edit above. I think you and I were typing at the same time. Not sure if you saw my update.
Old 01-30-18, 04:35 PM
fwhomeboy
Racer

Originally Posted by Shad034
see my edit above. I think you and I were typing at the same time. Not sure if you saw my update.
Hahaha, No, I didn't see the edit but that's coooooo. So, You liked the dealership ? I really can't do it if I can't check it out first. I gotta be patient. But, This is so close to mine that it's hard to see it and not get it. The only difference is this one doesn't have the Touring Package but, I don't know if that a Pro or a Con. Other than 18 vs. 19 inch wheels and Bigger Brakes and Rotors.
Old 01-30-18, 04:42 PM
Shad034
Driver

Hahaha, No, I didn't see the edit but that's coooooo. So, You liked the dealership ? I really can't do it if I can't check it out first. I gotta be patient. But, This is so close to mine that it's hard to see it and not get it. The only difference is this one doesn't have the Touring Package but, I don't know if that a Pro or a Con. Other than 18 vs. 19 inch wheels and Bigger Brakes and Rotors.
I like Carmax, bought my Lexus there and my F250 as well. Upside to Carmax is you can find whatever you want there, might have to have it transferred in but they got it somewhere. Buying process is as easy as they come, sales folks are flat commission so they don't care what you buy, just so long as you buy something. Makes them interested in finding something you want. MaxCare warranty is beyond awesome, I've more than paid for its cost on the truck (6.0L diesels are expensive repairs) and they don't really have many exceptions to what is covered. My 2013 Lexus had 30k miles on it and I got a 5 year 125K mile warranty on it for 1500. Chances are i wont use the warranty since its an LS, but that's crazy cheap to cover anything that might arise.

Downsides to Carmax is that the price is non-negotiable. Not even a little, not at all, period. You could probably negotiate that car cheaper at a normal dealership, but you'd have to put in the work to do it. So you pay a bit more for the hassle-free thing. That being said, I've found their pricing to be pretty competitive. Less than what a normal dealership will start at, more than what I expect to end at with some hard negotiating.

But they aren't kidding on their return policy and warranty stuff. They move so many cars, whatever you got is just noise to them. They'll take back the car and sell it again in a few days if you don't like it.
Old 01-30-18, 04:57 PM
Mbbarron
Intermediate

Received 43 Likes on 36 Posts

Take Shad034 up on his offer to go check it out for you! It's almost exactly what you're looking for. Looks like it has the air suspension though. But bonus on the rear seat entertainment. I don't remember you seeing one with that option come up recently. Don't write it off yet just because it's far away.
Old 01-30-18, 05:10 PM
fwhomeboy
Racer

Originally Posted by Mbbarron
Take Shad034 up on his offer to go check it out for you! It's almost exactly what you're looking for. Looks like it has the air suspension though. But bonus on the rear seat entertainment. I don't remember you seeing one with that option come up recently. Don't write it off yet just because it's far away.
Mine had the rear seat DVD setup also. Hmmmm... That $800 dollar delivery fee bugs me. The offer to go check it out is Very Cool and, I appreciate it too. I'm just too **** about things. Thanks for the offer Shad034 but, I better slow my roll and wait 'till one becomes available here locally. Still Digging. Thanks again Shad !!!!! Props. Now, I'm going back to that page and drool some more.
Old 01-30-18, 05:12 PM
fwhomeboy
Racer

Smile

Mine looks a litte better even with the scar on the chin.
Old 01-30-18, 05:14 PM
JLAWS
Racer

Received 214 Likes on 163 Posts

Dude the one in Ohio is closer to you and well under 100K miles. It doesn't have the 19s but it is has Comfort Plus and NO air shocks ! You can tell by leather stitched door handles.
https://www.carmax.com/car/15179999

I've done too much to make my 2008 swb perfect to entertain making a move on this LWB and start all over
Old 01-30-18, 05:19 PM
fwhomeboy
Racer

Originally Posted by JLAWS
Dude the one in Ohio is closer to you and well under 100K miles. It doesn't have the 19s but it is has Comfort Plus and NO air shocks ! You can tell by leather stitched door handles.
https://www.carmax.com/car/15179999

I've done too much to make my 2008 swb perfect to entertain making a move on this LWB and start all over
$149 bucks delivery fee sounds great too. I just gotta have the light interior.
Old 01-30-18, 05:29 PM
JLAWS
Racer

Received 214 Likes on 163 Posts

Wow, most want the black interior which hides dirt ,wear and tear better and the leather can easily touched up with dye.

Comfort plus & no air shock is the best combo you can get for an L imo.
The following users liked this post:
fwhomeboy (01-30-18)
Old 01-30-18, 05:46 PM
Shad034
Driver

Mine had the rear seat DVD setup also. Hmmmm... That $800 dollar delivery fee bugs me. The offer to go check it out is Very Cool and, I appreciate it too. I'm just too **** about things. Thanks for the offer Shad034 but, I better slow my roll and wait 'till one becomes available here locally. Still Digging. Thanks again Shad !!!!! Props. Now, I'm going back to that page and drool some more.
Yeah man up to you. I drive by that dealership every day after work on the way home so its no problem for me.

Just a note, the 800 to transfer it out doesn't commit you to buying it. You can walk away if you don't like it, without your 800 though. I'd have to wrestle with whether I'm OK with paying 800 to get the car I want right now or wait for a bit to maybe find another one that didn't cost me the 800. I had the same battle when I was looking at a LS through Autonation that would have been 675 to transfer out to me. I got lucky and found the Carmax one without any transfer fees.

Quick Reply: Looking for another Car