LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Oil reset dash vs navi

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-17, 09:34 AM
HaroldHint
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil reset dash vs navi

Earlier this year my dash reported that i needed to perform maintenance to replace the oil. With recent vehicles im used to letting the car decide the time to change the oil as its usually time, load, temp, and mile based.
I replaced the oil and reset the dash per the instructions in the manual but i did not touch anything under the navi vehicle maintenance.
I have been looking though my records and i forgot to note the mileage or my receipt for supplies! Looking in the navi menus under maintenance it states that i have zero miles left on my filter and oil but i have not received a notice on my dash or warnings.

Are the dash notices and the navi records connected? That is if i reset the oil maintenance light via the instructions does it update the navi records? I have gone approximately 3500-4500 miles and im trying to figure out if this is critical or if i should just wait for the dash notification. Oil looks clean on the dip stick and no consumption but its been about 7 months. I might do 120 miles per week usually less.

thanks

Also changed out the battery since the oil change. Dont know if that resets the oil counter?
Old 12-29-17, 10:55 AM
213374U
Lexus Test Driver

Received 138 Likes on 119 Posts

Reminders in the nav are entirely manual I believe. You will have to manually reset/update that information whenever you perform services if you want the reminder. Since you haven't seen a notice on the nav it's probably safe to assume that these were never set in the first place.
Old 12-29-17, 11:22 AM
HaroldHint
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cool
Is there an oil life on the dash (not the nav) that i can access? some cars offer a % of oil life left as a rough indication of timing.
Old 12-29-17, 11:32 AM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Received 354 Likes on 244 Posts

Originally Posted by HaroldHint
Cool
Is there an oil life on the dash (not the nav) that i can access? some cars offer a % of oil life left as a rough indication of timing.
No there's no other way to kind of track those miles if you didn't have it set in the touch screen. The oil reminder light just ticks off the miles and doesn't allow you to track how far you've gone, it just comes on when you reach 5,000 miles. The two systems are not connected.
Old 12-29-17, 11:10 PM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Received 337 Likes on 290 Posts

My change oil soon light came on about 500 miles before it was due.
Old 12-30-17, 06:07 AM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Originally Posted by sha4000
My change oil soon light came on about 500 miles before it was due.
Mine alludes that I need to change my oil before I reach my mileage point, but it doesn't stay on until I reach 5,000 miles.It's just a dummy light anyway, only based on mileage (unless the newer models have changed). So it's not a light that you could consider to be an "oil life monitor". I'm not exactly a big fan of those anyway, I almost never follow their advice. Most of them are just goi off a system that uses parameters like, temp, load. Speed, run time, etc. It doesn't really know how your oil is doing in your engine. And then there are the manufacturers that have recalls on those lights because as it turns out they miscalculated when you should be changing your oil (so they change those parameters and mileage).
Old 12-30-17, 11:27 AM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Received 337 Likes on 290 Posts

Originally Posted by Doublebase
Mine alludes that I need to change my oil before I reach my mileage point, but it doesn't stay on until I reach 5,000 miles.It's just a dummy light anyway, only based on mileage (unless the newer models have changed). So it's not a light that you could consider to be an "oil life monitor". I'm not exactly a big fan of those anyway, I almost never follow their advice. Most of them are just goi off a system that uses parameters like, temp, load. Speed, run time, etc. It doesn't really know how your oil is doing in your engine. And then there are the manufacturers that have recalls on those lights because as it turns out they miscalculated when you should be changing your oil (so they change those parameters and mileage).
It did not stay on but it did alert me again before I hit 5k so I reset it. On a side note i do 95% highway driving btw 70-80mph and this car does burn oil at those speeds. At 4k I had to put about 2qts. in to bring the level up since it was at the tip of the dipstick. I got the low oil light which worried me until I browsed the forum. I changed the oil at 6k and I was down 2qts again. I diyed the oil change so I could confirm the results since this is the first one since purchasing the car.
Old 12-31-17, 05:00 AM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Originally Posted by sha4000
It did not stay on but it did alert me again before I hit 5k so I reset it. On a side note i do 95% highway driving btw 70-80mph and this car does burn oil at those speeds. At 4k I had to put about 2qts. in to bring the level up since it was at the tip of the dipstick. I got the low oil light which worried me until I browsed the forum. I changed the oil at 6k and I was down 2qts again. I diyed the oil change so I could confirm the results since this is the first one since purchasing the car.
So you went through four quarts in 6,000 miles? Seems a bit high, maybe try a heavier weight? It's not exactly terrible either by today's standards, I'm finding that more and more modern cars burn oil. I think it's the looseness of the rings that manufactures use nowadays to improve fuel economy.I do the same type of driving - mostly highway between 70-80 mph - and after 6,000 miles of driving I probably go through 2.5 quarts of oil. I have around 170,000 miles on mine now.