LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Considering a 460 or 460L, ~$40 k, thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-17, 10:32 AM
cferriter
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Considering a 460 or 460L, ~$40 k, thoughts?

I have about $40,000 i'd like to buy a used LS460 or 460L. I currently have an ES350 (which I will keep), so I know Lexus well.

I want input on:

Which model year(s) are most reliable. What option(s) to look for/avoid (I hear the AWD can be problematic??)

For those of you that have the "L", does the extra space justify cost?

I want a daily driver (short work commute), but something that's great for family vacations. I'd love to get the 2018, but too much $$.

Thoughts?
Old 12-30-17, 11:01 AM
DarKnight
Lexus Champion

Received 52 Likes on 38 Posts

I would say with that budget definitely go with a 2013+. As far as AWD and the L models, get it IF you need it. I would focus more on other options like the ML, reclining seats things like that but stay away from air suspension.
Old 12-30-17, 11:35 AM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Received 337 Likes on 290 Posts

Your def in 2013-2014 range. I like my L but one of the reason I moved down in years is because after I came to MY senses I knew the 10k premium for the L version just was not a wise financial decision for ME. The space is a huge upgrade though so if thats high on your list go for it.
Old 12-30-17, 01:16 PM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 195 Likes on 139 Posts

For me the L is all about the looks and the presence it has on the road. the 5-6 inches in the backseat really isnt going to do anything except add a little bit of leg room for adults sitting in the back.

It is also quite rare which makes it more desirable in my opinion.

I have air suspension on mine, and the ride is nice but be prepared to either spend money on it once in a while, or swap it out for struts and springs when it acts up.

Id definitely stay away from awd, as you not only lose power but also lose any aftermarket support for control arms and anything suspension related.

You do pay a premium for the L but you will also get that premium back when you re-sell it, so to me its worth it.

If you want a 460 I really wouldn't get too focused on the little details, as u will be waiting forever to find the right one and then u will end up missing out on lots of deals that could of been had.

I bought mine with the air suspension and without mark levinson system, which is the opposite of what I wanted , but the price was right so I took it. Id rather that then spending $10 000 more for my ideal car with the perfect options.
The following users liked this post:
sha4000 (12-30-17)
Old 12-30-17, 04:42 PM
lizhekb
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I am in Canada and all the LS since 2013 are AWD here. I am in the similar situation looking for a 2013.

The main options I would like to have is the blind spot monitor, cross traffic alert and ML system.

If you want the reclined back seat and cooler, it will not offer the trunk access for longer item like ski or some 2 by 4s for small project.

If the extra space is really important, then go for it. My problem is my grage will be too tight after parking the L. I want some extra space between the wall and the rear of the car.

If you want the F sports then it does not have the recline and cool rear seats option. And I do not see any 2013 F sports with blind spot and cross traffic alert so far.

Good luck to your hunting.
Old 12-30-17, 05:29 PM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Received 337 Likes on 290 Posts

To clarify, I did not want to pay the premium for the 13-14 L version but I'm glad I did not because my 07 is just fine. I also wanted the air suspension and will deal with any issues that might come with it.
Old 12-31-17, 04:53 AM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Received 355 Likes on 245 Posts

I wouldn't be concerned with getting an awd model unless you really need it, the rwd is a little lighter, quicker, better fuel economy and more horse power. I live in an area where it snows all the time and I've done just fine with my rwd model with snow tires.
Old 12-31-17, 08:18 AM
cferriter
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the great input. To summarize what I am hearing:

1. The "L" is nice if needed, brings with it a steeper price, but makes it a standout among other 460s. Expect to add $5-8k for this.
2. Avoid AWD (unless needed, which in Atlanta, I don't)
3. Avoid air suspension or pay to switch/maintain down the road.
4. ML Audio is worthwhile
5. Don't seek perfection in your search. List "Must haves" and "Nice to haves" and then get it!

I miss anything?
Old 12-31-17, 10:19 AM
Dave144239
Instructor

Received 214 Likes on 162 Posts

Originally Posted by cferriter

1. The "L" is nice if needed, brings with it a steeper price, but makes it a standout among other 460s. Expect to add $5-8k for this.
5. Don't seek perfection in your search. List "Must haves" and "Nice to haves" and then get it!

I miss anything?
That's about it. Also, when checking out a car, enter the VIN on the Lexus Drivers website and you can view any service carried out at a Lexus dealer - https://secure.drivers.lexus.com/lexusdrivers/home
Old 01-01-18, 08:55 AM
R Z
Pole Position

Received 343 Likes on 262 Posts

With that budget, you may want to pinpoint the 2014 base model with the ML system. I prefer RWD, but your mileage may vary. The L is great should you need 5 extra inches and if it fits nicely in your garage.
Old 01-01-18, 10:59 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

I miss anything?
ML is worthwhile if you listen to higher end/bit audio like on CD's/DVD A, want to be able to have DVD video playback, and maybe for re sale. If you mainly just listen to local radio stations or satellite radio you are not going to notice much difference and I would not eliminate a car just because it does not have ML as ML is pretty rare on LS's, the ML amps are known to be problematic in some cases and can be very expensive to fix/replace. Other then that you seem to have it down. You can tell a LS has air suspension on a pre 2013 by the extra button next to the transmission settings near the shifter.

Remember to check the upper control arms or have them checked and don't use the dealership to replace them, go with aftermarket parts and a independent to save a ton of money or do it yourself.
Old 01-02-18, 08:23 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 508 Likes on 385 Posts

ML is pretty rare on LS's
?? Really? I thought it was pretty common. Maybe that's the case in Canada, cuz I haven't seen many if any at all that didn't have ML.
Old 01-02-18, 09:21 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by roadfrog
?? Really? I thought it was pretty common. Maybe that's the case in Canada, cuz I haven't seen many if any at all that didn't have ML.
In the states I would say maybe 1 out of 6 or 7 LS's have ML from my search over the months, maybe even less then that. Canada might be different as your cars may be higher spec like more AWD, etc. Canada often gets some nicer options or standard features on vehicles then the states like head light washers on GS's, real wood trim on Acura MDX's, etc.
Old 01-02-18, 07:27 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,730 Likes on 1,956 Posts

The newer the cars get the rarer ML gets. In my experience on a 13-17 car finding ML on a SWB car is pretty rare, most cars are optioned like my 2015, no semi aniline, no ML. LWB cars all seem to have ML and semi-aniline, AWD means no air, air means no AWD.

The LWB car rides a little better than the SWB car, and as ***** said, it looks more imposing on the road.
Old 01-04-18, 12:12 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

I miss anything?
https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/invent...ting=195026466

This one is out of my price range, it is a loaded Ultra Luxury 2012 L with the rare Executive seating package, one owner, clean carfax, 48K miles. It has air suspension but figured I would share it, I am sure there are a few who are looking for one like this.

Quick Reply: Considering a 460 or 460L, ~$40 k, thoughts?