LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

high height

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-18, 08:03 AM
Oliver Enterprises
Former Sponsor

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts

Kelly - The engine will shut off while in motion. I've done it and posted about it on here (and caught some flack about it). You just have to hold down on the Start/Stop, for I don't know, maybe 5 seconds.

Jason
The following users liked this post:
mckellyb (01-29-18)
Old 01-29-18, 08:41 AM
213374U
Lexus Test Driver

Received 138 Likes on 119 Posts

When I get mine back from the shop (this week) I'll grab some video of the Air Controller showing the suspension lowering above 65 and raising again once below 60.
Old 01-29-18, 03:39 PM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 195 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by 213374U
Our suspensions are active, they remain flat through corners regardless of height due to active dampening.
I didn't know we had active body control , and if so that makes me less interested in swapping out to a coil/spring set up.

I do admit there is very little body roll on my car, but I have not heard its active until now

Going to do a little more research on it, because usually if its active the car would have high pressure pumps or hydraulics to keep everything adjusting in real time, and I don't think we have that
Old 01-31-18, 06:20 AM
mckellyb
Lexus Test Driver

Received 147 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by 1WILLY1
I didn't know we had active body control , and if so that makes me less interested in swapping out to a coil/spring set up.

I do admit there is very little body roll on my car, but I have not heard its active until now

Going to do a little more research on it, because usually if its active the car would have high pressure pumps or hydraulics to keep everything adjusting in real time, and I don't think we have that
Nope, not active, though the air system can help things by at least partially shutting valves to keep higher pressure at any corners which need it. However, beefy anti-roll bars and a well-designed suspension do most of the work.

Tangentially-related; there is body roll, eventually, as I found when hooning my LS around the nearby traffic circle and around the other two small ones on the way to work every day.

My last front tires were both feathered, outside-to-inside, from pretty much maximum daily aggression. The car can handle it, no problem, and I find it's actually more enjoyable near the limit than my STS was, and the STS was sold as a sport sedan!

The STS, as I owned it, could pull 0.86 on a skidpad (as driven by professionals), the LS with Sport goodies, 0.81. I honestly don't notice a difference in cornering grip, other than the LS has yet to 'bite' me. The STS did...a couple of times.

The LS is larger, much comfier, heavier, and lots of other things, yet it's quicker, gets better MPG, and IMO, handles better.

I've had more than a few "really?!" moments over the last 15 months, from being truly surprised any auto manufacturer could combine the qualities of this one, all in the same car.
Old 01-31-18, 07:38 AM
mckellyb
Lexus Test Driver

Received 147 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by 213374U
When I get mine back from the shop (this week) I'll grab some video of the Air Controller showing the suspension lowering above 65 and raising again once below 60.
I think I know why there was a range on the Techstream in reference to suspension offset height...I bet that range is what it uses to lower at speed and rise when set to high.

Yeah...I set mine to the maximum, 0.8", so my 'height high' would be maxed out.

I want to say it was 0.5" when I started, but I can't find a screen capture for it.

Why didn't I think of just hooking up the Fakestream and recording what it does?! /facepalm

I'd totally forgotten Techstream has a built-in recorder for data.

I'll have to do that next time I know I'll be on a freeway. Ooooh! I just thought of something I need to do which does require a solid 7 minutes on the tollway. I'll update, later.
Old 02-01-18, 04:47 PM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 195 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by mckellyb
Nope, not active, though the air system can help things by at least partially shutting valves to keep higher pressure at any corners which need it. However, beefy anti-roll bars and a well-designed suspension do most of the work.

Tangentially-related; there is body roll, eventually, as I found when hooning my LS around the nearby traffic circle and around the other two small ones on the way to work every day.

My last front tires were both feathered, outside-to-inside, from pretty much maximum daily aggression. The car can handle it, no problem, and I find it's actually more enjoyable near the limit than my STS was, and the STS was sold as a sport sedan!

The STS, as I owned it, could pull 0.86 on a skidpad (as driven by professionals), the LS with Sport goodies, 0.81. I honestly don't notice a difference in cornering grip, other than the LS has yet to 'bite' me. The STS did...a couple of times.

The LS is larger, much comfier, heavier, and lots of other things, yet it's quicker, gets better MPG, and IMO, handles better.

I've had more than a few "really?!" moments over the last 15 months, from being truly surprised any auto manufacturer could combine the qualities of this one, all in the same car.
Thanks, I didn't think it was active , we would of heard of major failures by now similar to the Mercedes guys. Their ABC is a nightmare to deal with from what ive seen and heard.