LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Best phone mount for the LS (merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-18, 10:17 AM
prwdmd
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Best phone mount for the LS

Right now I'm using a RAM suction cup mount to hold my iPhone while driving... but it's kind of ugly and suctions to the windshield which partially obstructs my forward view. Does anyone have any other suggestions that work very well and you use regularly in your LS??
Old 01-09-18, 10:27 AM
joedaddy1
Racer

Received 194 Likes on 151 Posts

I use this on all my cars.
Amazon Amazon
Old 01-09-18, 10:47 AM
comotiger
Pole Position

Received 295 Likes on 253 Posts

Originally Posted by prwdmd
Right now I'm using a RAM suction cup mount to hold my iPhone while driving... but it's kind of ugly and suctions to the windshield which partially obstructs my forward view. Does anyone have any other suggestions that work very well and you use regularly in your LS??
Hello, I have a Proclip holder in my 2014 car. It works great Photo and details in post #s 19 and 22 of the following thread.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...-upgrades.html
Old 01-09-18, 12:14 PM
rick3242
Pit Crew

Received 64 Likes on 56 Posts

this is about the 4th one I have tried, not only is it the lowest cost but also works the best.

Amazon Amazon
Old 01-09-18, 12:46 PM
Spudo769
Pit Crew

Received 52 Likes on 41 Posts

I use a combo of the same ProClip mount that Comotiger used (mount, not phone holder) . The I purchased a Ram Ball and screwed it in to the mount. Then I used a scissor type phone holder that keeps it tight. The advantages: On the ball the phone will swivel around if needed. I can take the holder off the ball when I go through the car wash or just want a cleaner look. I use the same scissor type phone holder on my Triumph, so it does double duty. It has never fallen off the bike on several long highway trips, so confident it will work in the car.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004O8LF26/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004O8LF26/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0055PH0XA/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0055PH0XA/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1
https://www.proclipusa.com/product/8...-console-mount

Last edited by Spudo769; 01-09-18 at 12:49 PM.
Old 01-09-18, 02:15 PM
Oliver Enterprises
Former Sponsor

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts

I use a similar mount as the ProClip, attaches to the vent as well. I put it on my leftmost vent and ran a power wire across the headliner, down the A-Pillar, through the dash, out the dash side vent and around to my phone. I made a post of it some time back. A search should find it. I like the clean / kind of private location of it, no wires anywhere to see. But left hand operation is not optimal. Both my thumbs turn it on and I've gotten decent with my left hand. No dent power locations in the floor console, plus I don't want any wires running there either, and prefer to keep it away from passengers.

Jason Oliver
Old 01-09-18, 05:05 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 508 Likes on 385 Posts

FWIW, there are now a few different manufacturers of suction mounts that can be mounted virtually anywhere - even on textured dashboards. It's sorcery as far as I can tell. lol. I got one for my wife at Christmas for her CT200H. Here's the one I got: https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product...10301476.aspx?
Old 01-09-18, 08:25 PM
FatherTo1
Racer

Received 114 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by rick3242
this is about the 4th one I have tried, not only is it the lowest cost but also works the best.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I second the Bestrix model that Rick linked to. I went through magnets, wireless chargers, cupholder models, and the Bestrix easily beat out all of them. The Bestrix design has two rubber grips that securely hold onto the vent and allows you to rotate your phone easily without much force on your air vent. The Bestrix is also minimalist and slim and there is nothing on the bottom to block your phone's charging port. At first I was afraid the Bestrix wouldn't be strong enough to grip my heavy Note 8 with a case but the phone has never slipped nor fell out, no matter how bumpy the road gets. It is also very easy to insert/remove your phone one-handed. I liked this phone mount so much that I bought one for my wife but the angle of the air vents in her 2006 ES 330 tilt down too much. For our 2013 LS though, it works perfectly.

Last edited by FatherTo1; 01-09-18 at 08:41 PM.
Old 01-09-18, 09:26 PM
comotiger
Pole Position

Received 295 Likes on 253 Posts

Hi Fto1, nice phone mount and pics! One reason I don't prefer the vent mounts is because the attached phone disrupts the visual flow of the beautiful dash. Besides, the phone blocks many of the buttons below the vent as well as the temp display. Agreed, one can see the temp settings on the Nav screen, but this is a deal breaker for me. From the pics, it looks like the driver's view of the Nav screen may also be obstructed by the phone. Is that the case? I can see how function trumps form with this mount, so it's all good.
The following users liked this post:
bigsherv (01-11-18)
Old 01-09-18, 10:07 PM
FatherTo1
Racer

Received 114 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by comotiger
Hi Fto1, nice phone mount and pics! One reason I don't prefer the vent mounts is because the attached phone disrupts the visual flow of the beautiful dash. Besides, the phone blocks many of the buttons below the vent as well as the temp display. Agreed, one can see the temp settings on the Nav screen, but this is a deal breaker for me. From the pics, it looks like the driver's view of the Nav screen may also be obstructed by the phone. Is that the case? I can see how function trumps form with this mount, so it's all good.
How's it going, comotiger?! Read your other post helping a fellow CLer with their questions regarding iPhone/Android mirroring. I'm still on the fence about taking the plunge with the BeatSonic kit.

As for the phone mount, I think the angle of the initial photos gives the impression of an obstructed view. I view the temperature on the display screen but still prefer to make quick driver and front-passenger temperature changes with the dedicated buttons. I took a photo from how I would see the console at eye-level and the tall Note 8 doesn't obstruct my view of the nav screen at all. Not only that but I can still access the temperature buttons to the left of the phone. I can also see the Radio and Media buttons from my normal driving position but you don't see those buttons in the photo because I couldn't quite get the wife's iPhone exactly where my eyes would be. As for the buttons that the phone does obscure, I don't often have a need to access the fan speed or off buttons because I keep the climate control on Auto, but if I needed to reach them then I can rotate the phone a few clicks towards the landscape position.

Edit: Added a new photo with the display on for better reference and really tried to capture my normal view. Of course, maybe the angles just work well for my average height and driving position. There are good alternatives out there but I find this little gadget has worked very well so far.

Last edited by FatherTo1; 01-09-18 at 10:46 PM.
Old 04-13-18, 05:58 AM
rogersmith
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Need a Galaxy Note 4 holder for 2015 Lexus LS460L

Can people post recommendations for a cell phone holder for a Galaxy Note 4 in a 2015 Lexus LS460L?

I'm tired of having my phone falling on the floor, or accidentally hitting the rear sun screen button.

Thanks
Old 04-13-18, 07:14 AM
jimrd
Pit Crew

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I have an iPhone but this should work for any model, I really like this holder...you attach a metal plate (via sticker or place inside phone case) and simply hold the plate against the magnet on the flexible arm. The magnet is strong enough to hold through my Incipo hard case. It is very fast and easy to mount and remove with one hand (unless you need to plug in phone for charging). You will need to buy your own short USB to phone cord if you want to charge the phone. Mine came with an extra metal plate that I attached to my wife's phone so she can use the holder on the rare occasion she drives my car, and the plate does not interfere with her holder in her car (she has one that grabs the sides of the phone). Since this holder is not made for a particular phone brand or size, whenever I change phones in the future I will just have to just move the metal plate to my new phone and I don't have to change the holder. I have been very pleased.

Amazon Amazon
Old 04-13-18, 07:28 AM
xfea
Intermediate

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by rogersmith
Can people post recommendations for a cell phone holder for a Galaxy Note 4 in a 2015 Lexus LS460L?

I'm tired of having my phone falling on the floor, or accidentally hitting the rear sun screen button.

Thanks

I can't tell you how many phone holders I'v tried!
I have tried them ALL.

Window suction mount, wands you plug into the cigarette plug or cd player slot, things you glue on the back of your phone and use a magnet.

They were bulky or moved around or just plane ugly and made of flimsy plastic for the most part.

By FAR and away the one I LOVE is this.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B076PWRVQB/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B076PWRVQB/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It's a high quality aluminum gravity grip with a super tight clip that attaches to the air vent.
Mine lives on the passenger center.

It's rock steady (I hated the wand type holders, your phone bounces along for the ride) - doesn't loosen, looks great, minimalist.
And, if I want to use my phone - wake it up, my figure goes over the top for the fingerprint sensor on the back and viola.

Don't let the $7.99 Amazon Prime price fool you - it is very well made and WORKS

Car Phone Mount, TAKAGI Clip Gravity Cellphone Holder Mount Bracket Auto Lock Design Air Outlet Smartphones Mounts for iPhone X 8 7 6s Plus Samsung Note Huawei Google LG HTC, Up to 6.0" inches (Gray)

Last edited by xfea; 04-13-18 at 11:27 AM.
Old 04-13-18, 06:11 PM
Kadrian87
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Get a magnetic phone mount on amazon

Just get a magnetic phone mount it comes with metal pieces you put in the back of your case you then stick it on the mount which is a magnet it has adhesive stick or you can buy the one that clips on your air vents for 9-10 dollars they work great I have one in my 2009
Old 04-13-18, 06:36 PM
BMW7_LS430
Instructor

Received 125 Likes on 98 Posts

I love this

PPS2CAR Magnetic Universal CD Player Car Phone Mount

http://www.amazon.com/Player-Car-Mou.../dp/B06Y42RKPF

They give 4 plates, I kept 3 inside between phone (iphone 7+) and cover.

Quick Reply: Best phone mount for the LS (merged threads)