LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Credit card key on 2017?

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-18, 01:27 PM
jmcraney

Received 276 Likes on 208 Posts

Originally Posted by riknchar
No, I haven't yet, and most likely won't bother. I'll just buy a spare battery and tuck it into a corner of my wallet in case my battery ever dies while I'm away from home. When I had my LS600hL with a key card, I recall that my car was pretty good at recognizing when the Key Card battery was getting low and it would alert me to that fact so I could change the battery. The batteries last around 2 years if they are fresh to begin with. I might just set an annual reminder to myself to proactively replace the Key Card battery so I won't have to worry about it...

It's definitely a "luxury" (not a necessity) to have the Key Card, but I'm driving a luxury car, so it makes perfect sense!
You might be shortsighted in not having the mechanical key insert for your credit card key.

The credit card key - some cars come with them but usually they are an add-on purchase - is generically a "transponder key." It facilitates the operation of the touch lock and unlock of the doors, the trunk, the ignition, the puddle lights and the warning when the key gets out of range when the ignition is on. The transponder keys are for ranges out to about 2.3 feet and must be near the doors or trunk for operation.

The credit card key has a mechanical key insert that will open the drivers door in case the battery in the credit card key is depleted, or there is an interfering RF signal that prevents the key operation, or the car's starting battery is depleted or failed. In the case of car battery problems you would need the mechanical key to unlock the driver's door to access the hood latch so you can charge, jump or replace the battery.

In addition, the credit card key incorporates a Near Field Communications device that will allow the ignition interlock to be operated in the presence of an interfering Radio Frequency signal or in the event of a depleted credit card key battery.

New cars come with two wireless remote keys - some people call these "key fobs" - that are dual mode devices. They incorporate all the transponder key functions, including the mechanical key insert and the NFC device. In addition the wireless remote keys provide door lock and unlock, sun roof and window operation, trunk open, panic alarm etc out to a much greater range, typically 50-100 feet via the buttons on the wireless remote key.

Last edited by jmcraney; 04-08-18 at 11:58 PM.
Old 06-14-18, 06:22 PM
Dolph1
Pit Crew

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

So I just got the physical key for the card key cut by a locksmith. He had a laser cutter and it cost me 30 bucks. Worked just fine on the glovebox lock, didn’t try the door as the key hole must be hidden-need to check my manual. Anyway, I was able to get the recommended locksmiths name from my Lexus advisor - I asked him just after I tipped him 20 bucks for a bunch of warranty work that was done, not sure I would have got a name without a tip but who knows. If someone wants to start a thread on tipping service advisors that could be interesting.
The following users liked this post:
SW17LS (06-14-18)
Old 08-12-18, 08:49 AM
smileman83
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just to add my two cents. Sold my 2013 LS 460 and acquired a 2017. It didnt have a Credit card key and it is a must for me. Once youve had one its hard not to. As with everything else, the dealer takes too much time ( they often dont even know what it is) and its expensive. Part 89904-50L80 is the correct CC fob for the 2017 and 69515-30350 is the key blank that goes in the card. Techstream and an OBD cable allow you to easily add this key to your car ( assuming you have remaining number of keys that can be added. Mine allows 5 and it has the two original so 3 can be added without having to reprogram the entire ECU.

The process takes about 5 minutes. The key cutting may be an issue and may not be. I was going to check with Lexus and see if they would cut it but it appears others have been unsuccessful with this. It is stated that a locksmith with proper gear can but if they screw it up, youre out the blank.

Does anyone have suggestions on the blank ? Perhaps Sewell may do it? Can Toyota do it?

Thanks
Old 08-12-18, 12:13 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,751 Likes on 1,968 Posts

Sewell doesn't do anything like that anymore.

I believe there are many locksmiths that can do it now. I would find somebody local to you that laser cuts Lexus keys. I still don't have a blank in my CC key.
Old 08-12-18, 04:50 PM
smileman83
Rookie

So there really is a laser cutting of keys? Thought that was bs- lol
Old 08-12-18, 05:55 PM
Dolph1
Pit Crew

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

I got mine done that way - independent locksmith cut the physical key for me - he stuck the blank key in a little machine and punched the make and model into the computer, plus he needed my physical key from the big fat fob- presto!
Old 08-12-18, 06:07 PM
smileman83
Rookie

Thanks Dolph. . I see we have a comp[any locally that advertises laser cut keys- I'll give that a try.
Old 08-15-18, 04:31 AM
smileman83
Rookie

Sure enough the locksmith came through. $35.00. So huge savings from dealer on this whole thing with minimal effort
Old 12-26-18, 04:49 PM
jdanielca
Pole Position

Received 213 Likes on 191 Posts

how does one open the trunk with the card key? other than having to touch the car? theres no button on the card I assume?
Old 12-26-18, 05:47 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

You have to use the button on the trunk. The card has no buttons on it.
Old 12-27-18, 12:07 AM
jdanielca
Pole Position

Originally Posted by SW17LS
You have to use the button on the trunk. The card has no buttons on it.
yeah thar doesn’t work lol gummy went to rock solid 😂😂 need to replace it so you know off the top of your head what part I need I know I need the same fcc numbers but hyq14aab and a search has shown nothing and cursory look at this thread has not shown any mention of it or the 2007.. won’t work ?
Old 12-27-18, 06:33 AM
riknchar
Instructor

Received 229 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by jdanielca

yeah thar doesn’t work lol gummy went to rock solid 😂😂 need to replace it so you know off the top of your head what part I need I know I need the same fcc numbers but hyq14aab and a search has shown nothing and cursory look at this thread has not shown any mention of it or the 2007.. won’t work ?
Are you asking for the part number of the Key Card that will work for your car, or for the sticky trunk open switch? Like Steve said, the card doesn't have any buttons - it just triggers the proximity sensor built into the door lock (and trunk lock) actuators. I do have sporadic difficulty getting my trunk to open using my Key Card (maybe 1 out of 10 times it simply refuses).
Old 12-27-18, 07:59 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Are you asking for the part number of the Key Card that will work for your car, or for the sticky trunk open switch? Like Steve said, the card doesn't have any buttons - it just triggers the proximity sensor built into the door lock (and trunk lock) actuators. I do have sporadic difficulty getting my trunk to open using my Key Card (maybe 1 out of 10 times it simply refuses).
You should change the battery. The key card uses a strange battery and it doesn't last very long.
The following users liked this post:
riknchar (12-27-18)
Old 12-27-18, 09:19 AM
jdanielca
Pole Position

oh i was just stating the trunk switch does not work.. i have already found the thread a long time ago, it is on the lost of things that need doing... well trunk look i will have to push the gummy button for it to open right... so its not like it is going to magically open when i stand there lol which would not be a good thing either...

yes i was referring to what keycard will work with my car

THANKS !
Old 12-28-18, 05:59 AM
riknchar
Instructor

Received 229 Likes on 141 Posts

The right key card for your Lexus depends on what FCC ID you're seeing on the back of your normal fob. From my research on my 2010 LS600hL, I found two potential Key Cards that would work. Lexus Part Number 89994-48142 was the first one - this card did not show as being compatible when I checked on www.LexusPartsNow.com, but several people said that one works just fine. Another key card part number I found did show that it was compatible, it's Lexus P/N 89994-48072. If you tell us what FCC ID number you see on the back of your normal Fob, we might be able to offer more specific advice (from others who have had success with one of the key fobs, who had the same FCC ID you have).

Quick Reply: Credit card key on 2017?