LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Might go back to stock brakes after Centrics

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-18, 08:25 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,715 Likes on 1,944 Posts

Originally Posted by superdenso
Every six months I write the following: it's uneven pad deposits not warped rotors. For some reason the 460 oem pads are prone to uneven pad deposits. There can be all manners of speculation about why it happens (i.e. Break in)
We understand this. The common understood term for this is “warped rotors” however.
Old 01-24-18, 09:17 PM
FatherTo1
Racer

Received 114 Likes on 94 Posts

Every six months I write the following: it's uneven pad deposits not warped rotors. For some reason the 460 oem pads are prone to uneven pad deposits. There can be all manners of speculation about why it happens (i.e. Break in)
Interesting. I never even thought of it from this angle. Is it possible to mill away just the deposits or dissolve it away without pitting the rotors? If the issue is pad deposits then would it matter what brand of rotors are used? Will the deposits "warp" all rotors then?

Originally Posted by fb182
You guys do realize that there were three types of OEM pads offered, right?

1. ADVICS PV565H
2. PAGID 4668
3. TEXTAR T4146
Interesting as well, fb182. How did you find this out?
Old 01-24-18, 09:20 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Warping rotors has everything to do with how the rotors dissipate heat. Uneven hot spots on poor quality rotors promote high spotting of pad material, which is what warped rotors are.

Can it be ground away? Sure, that’s what turning, or resurfacing the rotors does. Issue is it thins the rotors, magnifies the issue with hot spotting and the warping comes back quicker.

Better quality rotors disspate heat better and spread heat more evenly, hence no warping.
Old 01-24-18, 09:56 PM
FatherTo1
Racer

Originally Posted by SW15LS
Warping rotors has everything to do with how the rotors dissipate heat. Uneven hot spots on poor quality rotors promote high spotting of pad material, which is what warped rotors are.

Can it be ground away? Sure, that’s what turning, or resurfacing the rotors does. Issue is it thins the rotors, magnifies the issue with hot spotting and the warping comes back quicker.

Better quality rotors disspate heat better and spread heat more evenly, hence no warping.
Hmm, interesting. Makes me want to try some slotted or cross-drilled rotors for additional cooling. Of course I would also need to change wheels to get a better view of upgraded rotors.
Old 01-25-18, 04:14 AM
fb182
Rookie

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by FatherTo1
Interesting as well, fb182. How did you find this out?
Through my service advisor at the dealership. He showed me my old pads after they were removed. There are markings on the pad to identify which type they are.
Old 01-25-18, 04:21 AM
Dave144239
Instructor

Received 206 Likes on 157 Posts

I didn't know that - I always thought warped rotors meant that the metal had deformed somehow. Uneven pad deposits would explain why someone told me to try a few high-speed emergency stops to smooth out the rotors. It didn't make sense to me at the time, because I thought heavy braking would make it worse. My old car had 92k miles on the rotors, 70k on the pads, and there was a lot of vibration under heavier braking.
Old 01-25-18, 05:01 AM
comotiger
Pole Position

Received 294 Likes on 252 Posts

Originally Posted by FatherTo1
Hmm, interesting. Makes me want to try some slotted or cross-drilled rotors for additional cooling. Of course I would also need to change wheels to get a better view of upgraded rotors.
Hi Fto1, there was an extended discussion on another thread of the benefits of cross-drilled and/pr slotted rotors for the LS. I recall the consensus was that they didn't offer any advantages, and might even increase stopping distance. I agree they would look pretty, and we would need some cool wheels to highlight them .
Old 01-25-18, 10:31 AM
superdenso
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

[QUOTE=FatherTo1;10092751]Interesting. I never even thought of it from this angle. Is it possible to mill away just the deposits or dissolve it away without pitting the rotors? If the issue is pad deposits then would it matter what brand of rotors are used? Will the deposits "warp" all rotors then?

Is it possible to mill away just the deposits or dissolve it away without pitting the rotors? Yes

If the issue is pad deposits then would it matter what brand of rotors are used? Will the deposits "warp" all rotors then?
It depends, the issue is the way the pad formulation reacts with the metal it contacts. So the question is "which part is the problem: oem pads or the oem rotors?". Someone can do the experimentation, and due to time constraints I chose to change the pads and rotors. Akebono has a great pad for the Euro market but I like Power Stop on the Japan cars. Try things and have a good time racking up the miles

Also, try the slots and try the drilled/you won't lose any distance...Let's have a little fun

Last edited by superdenso; 01-25-18 at 10:39 AM.
Old 01-25-18, 11:50 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Cross drilled and slotted rotors are just a look thing, they don't prover any actual benefit.
Old 01-25-18, 12:33 PM
Lexuslsguy
Pole Position

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
Cross drilled and slotted rotors are just a look thing, they don't prover any actual benefit.
Cross-drilled and slotted rotors absolutely provide benefits but they mostly apply to racing applications. This is why you see them on most higher end sports cars. Has nothing to do with looks.

As Mark further clarified, “Modern brake pads don’t have an issue with out-gassing like they did many years ago, but the cross-drilling is still helpful for use in wet conditions, especially when the pad surface area is large. Additionally, cross-drilling increases the surface area of the disc, and this aids in disc cooling (one factor in brake disc cooling is the ratio of surface area to disc mass). The most significant feature of the holes (when done correctly) is that they continually refresh the brake pad surface, providing improved performance and greater disc life. As the holes pass the brake pad they essentially clean the surface, helping to prevent pad glazing or hardening. This effect can be easily observed on a drilled disc near the outer edge where there are no holes. In this area, the pad surface is not refreshed and you will typically see greater disc wear in this unswept area.” It’s also worth noting that this type of pad refreshing by cross-drilled and/or slotted rotors helps maintain more consistent frictional performance.
https://blog.racetechnologies.com/20...slotted-discs/

Last edited by Lexuslsguy; 01-25-18 at 12:40 PM.
The following users liked this post:
superdenso (01-25-18)
Old 01-25-18, 09:58 PM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Received 337 Likes on 290 Posts

You guys are going to make my rotors warp lol. I was looking at the backs and can see a lot of material spread across the surface ad they look old. I hate when rotors get that look. I'm going to start my search now. The only issue I have with buying OEM is that they are usually more expensive than comparable offerings.
Old 01-26-18, 12:33 AM
FatherTo1
Racer

Originally Posted by sha4000
You guys are going to make my rotors warp lol. I was looking at the backs and can see a lot of material spread across the surface ad they look old. I hate when rotors get that look. I'm going to start my search now. The only issue I have with buying OEM is that they are usually more expensive than comparable offerings.
This time the set of Centric rotors and pads cost more than what my mechanic quoted for OEM. I didn't expect that.

Last edited by FatherTo1; 01-26-18 at 06:59 AM.
Old 01-26-18, 06:01 AM
mbarron37
Advanced

Received 76 Likes on 58 Posts

I plan on purchasing Centric rotors and pads in the next few weeks. I am going to have a shop do the installation, since I am mechanically challenged..... What should I expect to pay for labor to install rotors and pads (front and rear)? I am in Massachusetts and plan on calling a couple of repair shops that I have used in the past. I called the local Lexus dealer in Northborough, MA and they will not install non-OEM parts.
Old 01-26-18, 06:58 AM
FatherTo1
Racer

Originally Posted by mbarron37
I plan on purchasing Centric rotors and pads in the next few weeks. I am going to have a shop do the installation, since I am mechanically challenged..... What should I expect to pay for labor to install rotors and pads (front and rear)? I am in Massachusetts and plan on calling a couple of repair shops that I have used in the past. I called the local Lexus dealer in Northborough, MA and they will not install non-OEM parts.
Others recommend ordering from RockAuto, so I did. It indeed was cheaper than Amazon. Centric rotors and pads ran $277.50 last year for our 2013 SWB RWD non-F Sport. My mechanic installed it for $260.

The following users liked this post:
mbarron37 (01-26-18)
Old 01-26-18, 06:59 AM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Received 337 Likes on 290 Posts

I put the Centric setup on the GS a lil over a year ago and they are very good. I think the total cost was 300+ for pads and rotors.

Quick Reply: Might go back to stock brakes after Centrics