LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

A happy ending of my search and the beginning of my journey with LS

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-18, 03:28 PM
FatherTo1
Racer

Received 114 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by comotiger
IMO, for city driving, auto high beams should be set to off, and one can use high beams manually by toggling the stalk. Even then, most of us would use high beams only very infrequently. I use High beams only for long interstate drives, and activate Auto High beam under those conditions. It is a bit touchy and sometimes will turn on for a second before turning off. Given that HID technology has been around for a long time, I am sure carmakers have made them highly durable, and able to withstand multiple, rapid on/off cycles.

Thanks! I am now curious why the CRI is a concern for auto headlights.
I agree, I don't use the auto high beam very often and have only tested it once. Surprised me how well they worked overall, it a tad slow to react at times.

The CRI can also impact contrast between the road and road markings, debris, obstacles, etc.
Old 01-28-18, 03:46 PM
comotiger
Pole Position

Received 294 Likes on 252 Posts

Originally Posted by FatherTo1
I agree, I don't use the auto high beam very often and have only tested it once. Surprised me how well they worked overall, it a tad slow to react at times.
The CRI can also impact contrast between the road and road markings, debris, obstacles, etc.
The Auto high beam system is very sensitive. I have used it a lot. If it detects the tail lights of a car ahead within a reasonable distance, it will not turn on the high beams. And unless the median is very wide, headlights of opposing traffic half a mile away will turn off high beams. All this is to the detriment of the driver since sometimes one may need the high beams even if it might cause discomfort to another motorist. I feel it is a novelty but still use it even though I may be better off (safer) by operating high beams manually.
Old 01-28-18, 05:45 PM
lizhekb
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

My car has the automatic adjustable headlight button and the headlight has two components.

After you point out I did search for the picture of 2013 with led. The result shows that LED has three components.

So looks like Canada has its own specs.

I cant comment on LS' LED effect because LS is such a rare car to see. But all the other brand like Audi BMW Benz their led has unnatural bright light, just like those cheap led bulbs with lower CRI.

Yes it means color rendering index. I learned that for the same led bulb, the factory can tune it with higher brigteness but the same time the CRI will be low. Or the other way round. Most of the factory will focus on the brightness cause it is easy for consumer to see. And it can be tagged with a higher lumenious.

For car use I think they don't car about the CRI and that maybe why many of them look terrible to me.
Old 01-28-18, 08:26 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,715 Likes on 1,944 Posts

The difference in the look of LEDs and HIDs is very subtle. LEDs are about a 6,000k color temp, while OEM HIDs is 4,100-4300k. My 15 LS460 had 5,000k Osram CBI replacements that made them a little whiter.

IMHO the LEDs look more upscale than HIDs.
Old 01-29-18, 06:02 AM
lizhekb
Driver

Originally Posted by SW15LS
The difference in the look of LEDs and HIDs is very subtle. LEDs are about a 6,000k color temp, while OEM HIDs is 4,100-4300k. My 15 LS460 had 5,000k Osram CBI replacements that made them a little whiter.

IMHO the LEDs look more upscale than HIDs.
Thats the general opinion about the LEDs. most of people likes LEDs. They are so efficient at power consumption. But to me some of the LEDs light looks cheap. I did not refer to LS, cause I did not see one in person.a Rare car.
Old 01-29-18, 07:20 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I haven't seen any factory LED setups on any cars that I think look cheap...quite the contrary.
Old 01-29-18, 02:23 PM
lizhekb
Driver

I haven't seen any factory LED setups on any cars that I think look cheap...quite the contrary.
It is difficult to see the difference without comparison. But normally LEDs with blueish light looks like a 2 dollar LED bulb.

The main difference is the light reflection of the objects' color looks bit foggy or lighter than original color.

Old 01-29-18, 02:28 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

To me the example in your picture that looks the best is the apples illuminated by the LED lol.

I think It depends on the application. I don't like bright high color temp LED lights in a home, I think they make a house look institutional, same as I don't like CFL bulb or halogen lighting. However, on a car I think high color temp LEDs look great in headlights, foglights, DRLs, etc. Very modern and high tech. Clearly people agree which is why the industry is going so far in that direction.

I'm thinking what you are seeing that is bothering you are aftermarket LED or painted light bulbs.
Old 01-29-18, 03:52 PM
Scrutator
Pole Position

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

CRI and degrees Kelvin are two different things. I have high-CRI LED bulbs in my home that are 2700 to 3000 degrees Kelvin and they give a nice "warm" light and are great for reading and provide "detail" making things appear crisp and clear. I paid a premium for these. I doubt that automotive-lighting manufacturers give their bulbs a CRI rating but instead use degrees Kelvin. Ideally, I would think that, in headlamps, it would be best to emulate daylight, which should be 5000K or above; high CRI would be a bonus. Most would find 5000K objectionable in their homes; but it's great in a hospital operating room. When I visit my neighbor's kitchen I get the feeling that I'm in somewhat of a fog; everything is "flat" and looks terrible. They must have the cheapest of the cheap LED bulbs.

Some of you might find this of interest: https://www.fluxsmartlighting.com/bl...ring-index-cri
Old 01-29-18, 04:31 PM
lizhekb
Driver

To me the example in your picture that looks the best is the apples illuminated by the LED lol.

I think It depends on the application. I don't like bright high color temp LED lights in a home, I think they make a house look institutional, same as I don't like CFL bulb or halogen lighting. However, on a car I think high color temp LEDs look great in headlights, foglights, DRLs, etc. Very modern and high tech. Clearly people agree which is why the industry is going so far in that direction.

I'm thinking what you are seeing that is bothering you are aftermarket LED or painted light bulbs.
the picture is a demonstration of how different CRI affect what we may see.

In household use, lower color temperature such as 2700k provides a warm feeling and also referred as warm light too.2700 is yellowish look. 6500k is white and look brighter and I agree with you it looks like institutional. I use 2700k spot light mainly in my house.

For cars, warm light make it feels old. Brighter white does make it feel newer and high tech.

My problem is with lower CRI, let's say lower than 75.
Not with general LEDs. However, nowadays LED manufactures are more focus on higher brightness than higher CRI.

Because CRI is hard to measure, not like brightness we can see instantly and can measure with a device only cost around 100 dollar.

I am happy with the HID. But LED is the future.

Old 01-29-18, 04:39 PM
lizhekb
Driver

Originally Posted by Scrutator
CRI and degrees Kelvin are two different things. I have high-CRI LED bulbs in my home that are 2700 to 3000 degrees Kelvin and they give a nice "warm" light and are great for reading and provide "detail" making things appear crisp and clear. I paid a premium for these. I doubt that automotive-lighting manufacturers give their bulbs a CRI rating but instead use degrees Kelvin. Ideally, I would think that, in headlamps, it would be best to emulate daylight, which should be 5000K or above; high CRI would be a bonus. Most would find 5000K objectionable in their homes; but it's great in a hospital operating room. When I visit my neighbor's kitchen I get the feeling that I'm in somewhat of a fog; everything is "flat" and looks terrible. They must have the cheapest of the cheap LED bulbs.

Some of you might find this of interest: https://www.fluxsmartlighting.com/bl...ring-index-cri
Yes they are two different things.

Lower CRI makes an uncomfortable environment. I feel foggy in lower CRI lighting too. Some time it is restaurant or rest room. You will know it instantly when you walk in.

It is similar situation to speakers. When you don't hear the difference, you will be OK. When you hear the difference, that's the time you tend to spend more money on a quality speakers or amp.

Real high CRI bulbs 90 plus does cost lot more and I doubt that car manufacture will care for it and from the road I can see many doesn't.