LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Thoughts on this 2011 LS460

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-18, 04:53 PM
comotiger
Pole Position

Received 296 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by riknchar
I went and test drove the LS460 base AWD car today The dealer is pretty motivated to sell the car. It's sitting at a Dodge dealership right now (the owner traded it in on a new SUV of some sort). The dealer offered to drop the price to $22,900. He said he has $22,500 in the car, and just needs to make a little bit to get rid of it.

I did realize that the car is still under the original factory warranty, which means it would be eligible for a Platinum Extended warranty. I'm really not sure if it would be very necessary, since most of the early kinks had been worked out by 2012, and there is no Air Ride suspension to cause a costly repair, but it would be pretty nice for piece of mind.
Any more thoughts from the forum?
I
Hi Rick, great to know you are liking this attractively-priced 2012 car. I am puzzled why you think the car still has the original warranty. The new car warranty is 4 years or 50K miles, whichever comes first. Your car with 67K miles is long past the factory warranty. It will not qualify for the Lexus Platinum VSA. In any case, without an air suspension or other fancy gizmos like DRCC etc to worry about, the extended warranty is not needed. Good luck!
Old 02-10-18, 06:17 PM
462HO
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think it may just have some powertrain warranty left? The powertrain is warrantied longer than the general one.
My 2012 LS460's powertrain warranty expires this March. Was put into service 3/15 and has 54,900 miles.

The Lexus you are looking at still sounds like a great deal. I'm sure they can clean up the front apron to close the deal.

I opted for an extended warranty, even though mine does not have air. Just concerned about the electronics, mainly.
CNA came through best for me at $2,500 for 5 1/2 years/48000 miles, which fits my amount of driving well. If you check with a few auto dealers that sell CNA, regardless of the make of the dealer, you can negotiate it down pretty well.

CNA has been good for me, both with a MB S500 and a GMC vehicle. No questions, no hassles. PM me if you are still looking for a warranty, and I can let you know the dealer that was most competitive for me.
Good luck with the car decision!
Old 02-10-18, 06:51 PM
462HO
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Strike that date. It was put into service 3/13. Powertrain warranty is 5 yrs, maybe $75k miles.I just bought another vehicle a 2014 and confused the two dates.
Old 02-11-18, 08:32 AM
riknchar
Instructor

Received 229 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by comotiger
Hi Rick, great to know you are liking this attractively-priced 2012 car. I am puzzled why you think the car still has the original warranty. The new car warranty is 4 years or 50K miles, whichever comes first. Your car with 67K miles is long past the factory warranty. It will not qualify for the Lexus Platinum VSA. In any case, without an air suspension or other fancy gizmos like DRCC etc to worry about, the extended warranty is not needed. Good luck!
Comotiger: The Lexus dealer told me he could Certify any Lexus less than 6 years old with less than 70K miles. He also said that I'd be eligible for the Lexus Platinum warranty on this 2012, since it was still within the Powertrain Warranty (6 years, 70K miles). I know the Platinum Warranty can be bought for a great discount via a couple of specific dealers often mentioned on this forum. I'm just not sure I'd get my money's worth out of the Platinum Warranty on a 2012 base model LS460 without air ride. Not as much to go wrong, which is a good thing!
Old 02-11-18, 08:45 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,751 Likes on 1,968 Posts

Only thing really is the brake actuator, and the control arms.
Old 02-11-18, 08:57 AM
caverman
Instructor

Received 194 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
Only thing really is the brake actuator, and the control arms.
Even on a 2012? I thought they fixed these issues mostly on the 2010+.
Old 02-11-18, 09:13 AM
Gbp
Lexus Champion

Received 60 Likes on 56 Posts

Comotiger: The Lexus dealer told me he could Certify any Lexus less than 6 years old with less than 70K miles. He also said that I'd be eligible for the Lexus Platinum warranty on this 2012, since it was still within the Powertrain Warranty (6 years, 70K miles). I know the Platinum Warranty can be bought for a great discount via a couple of specific dealers often mentioned on this forum. I'm just not sure I'd get my money's worth out of the Platinum Warranty on a 2012 base model LS460 without air ride. Not as much to go wrong, which is a good thing!
Does this mean the dealer can sell this as a CPO? That’s what I thought the 6 year/ 70k mile requirement was about. I don’t think that’s the same as a Platinum VSA, though.

If it’s a CPO, I think you’d get a 2 year/unlimited miles warranty on it. The way it works (or used to work?) is that you’d have a chance to extend that CPO at purchase or before the CPO expired.
Old 02-11-18, 09:14 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by caverman
You still see sporadic issues. There was a member a week or so ago who said he had control arms replaced on his 2013.
Old 02-11-18, 09:50 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by caverman
I see 2011-2012 LS's that had control arms replaced all the time with well under 100K miles, some under 50K miles when you look up the history, the issue was not fixed with the redesign, maybe just not as bad but they still fail prematurely for many cars.
Old 02-11-18, 10:06 AM
riknchar
Instructor

Originally Posted by Gbp

Does this mean the dealer can sell this as a CPO? That’s what I thought the 6 year/ 70k mile requirement was about. I don’t think that’s the same as a Platinum VSA, though.

If it’s a CPO, I think you’d get a 2 year/unlimited miles warranty on it. The way it works (or used to work?) is that you’d have a chance to extend that CPO at purchase or before the CPO expired.
The Lexus was traded in at a Dodge store, so there's no CPO option directly. However, the local Lexus dealership is owned by the same person that owns the Dodge store (although the two stores don't always "play nicely" with each other, according to the Lexus sales mgr). The Lexus dealer said they could bring the car over to their dealership and do the full CPO inspection/repairs/certification on it if I'd like (cost would be $500 for the inspection, $1400 for the Certification, plus any repairs required to meet the CPO standards). But the dealer also said he thought I'd save money if I simply bought the Platinum Warranty without messing with the CPO certification costs (he knows I'd likely buy the Platinum warranty from the on-line guys recommended by this forum, and was being upfront and honest with his advice, which I appreciated). I think the car might need new brakes, but everything else would check out fine for the CPO inspection. I'm still trying to decide if I'd be satisfied with such a basic LS460 after coming from the LS600hL and Genesis G90...
Old 02-11-18, 10:08 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I'm still trying to decide if I'd be satisfied with such a basic LS460 after coming from the LS600hL and Genesis G90...
My guess is going to be no...
Old 02-11-18, 10:16 AM
riknchar
Instructor

The local Lexus dealer also has a decent used LS candidate that I checked out yesterday. Here's the link: https://www.lexusofomaha.com/Vehicle...-NE/3146146853

This one is an L, and has the cold weather package, the luxury value edition, the semi-aniline leather with suede headliner, power door sunshades, and ML audio (price when new was $79,425). It has a flawless Lexus service history, including the 90K mile service recently done. It does have AWD and the air ride suspension. Looks like the air shocks were all replaced at 25K miles for some reason. The car looks great and drove perfectly. It's offered at $22,900, and since my dealership is a + dealership, there is no way to negotiate a lower price.

Upsides of this one would be the longer wheelbase, air ride suspension, and nicer leather interior. Downside is no warranty, with the possibility of expensive repairs (control arms, air ride suspension) along the way.

Thoughts on this one vs the 2012?
Old 02-11-18, 08:19 PM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Received 339 Likes on 292 Posts

The local Lexus dealer also has a decent used LS candidate that I checked out yesterday. Here's the link: https://www.lexusofomaha.com/Vehicle...-NE/3146146853

This one is an L, and has the cold weather package, the luxury value edition, the semi-aniline leather with suede headliner, power door sunshades, and ML audio (price when new was $79,425). It has a flawless Lexus service history, including the 90K mile service recently done. It does have AWD and the air ride suspension. Looks like the air shocks were all replaced at 25K miles for some reason. The car looks great and drove perfectly. It's offered at $22,900, and since my dealership is a + dealership, there is no way to negotiate a lower price.

Upsides of this one would be the longer wheelbase, air ride suspension, and nicer leather interior. Downside is no warranty, with the possibility of expensive repairs (control arms, air ride suspension) along the way.

Thoughts on this one vs the 2012?
I did not know that they still offered the self park option in 2010. Are those snow tires on the wheels? Overall i think it's a nice car.
Old 02-11-18, 09:32 PM
comotiger
Pole Position

Received 296 Likes on 254 Posts

Comotiger: The Lexus dealer told me he could Certify any Lexus less than 6 years old with less than 70K miles. He also said that I'd be eligible for the Lexus Platinum warranty on this 2012, since it was still within the Powertrain Warranty (6 years, 70K miles). I know the Platinum Warranty can be bought for a great discount via a couple of specific dealers often mentioned on this forum.
But the dealer also said he thought I'd save money if I simply bought the Platinum Warranty without messing with the CPO certification costs (he knows I'd likely buy the Platinum warranty from the on-line guys recommended by this forum, and was being upfront and honest with his advice, which I appreciated). I think the car might need new brakes, but everything else would check out fine for the CPO inspection. I'm still trying to decide if I'd be satisfied with such a basic LS460 after coming from the LS600hL and Genesis G90...
All said and done, I have a feeling you won't settle for a moderately-optioned car after having experienced the 600hL and the G90, so the following point may be moot.

While I shouldn't be second-guessing a Lexus salesman, I am pretty sure the Platinum VSA has to be purchased before the new car warranty expires (4 year/50K). You can check on the Lexus site. I am not buying the 6 year/70K powertrain warranty logic. In any case, please contact Toby Rivers or Troy Deitrich about this issue for future reference.
Old 02-12-18, 06:00 AM
riknchar
Instructor

Originally Posted by SW15LS
My guess is going to be no...
You're probably right, Steve and AC... Some things I wouldn't miss, but others I really would. I could definitely tell the difference in the leather quality between the base and the non-aniline. I really do like the extra leg room in the back (I have a 10-year old who is growing bigger by the day). My search will probably continue for now. If the 2010 L model at the local Lexus dealer was a bit more attractively priced, I'd likely go that route, but there's no negotiating with this + dealership, unfortunately...

Thanks to everyone for the great comments/advice!

Quick Reply: Thoughts on this 2011 LS460