LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Thoughts on this 2011 LS460

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-18, 12:27 PM
riknchar
Instructor

Received 229 Likes on 141 Posts
Default Thoughts on this 2011 LS460

CL friends. So I grew a bit tired of leasing my 2017 Genesis G90, and I discovered the dealer was happy to take it back for the current lease payoff amount, so I turned it back in. I really didn't have any complaints about the car - it was a pretty amazing setup, and I did enjoy the added safety features and electronic do-dads.

So anyway, I'm now starting to look at used LS460s with the idea to jump back in when I find the perfect candidate. I really enjoyed my 2008 LS600hL for a bit over 3 years. My main motivation in trading it in was simply the anticipated long-term cost of keeping it (air struts and hybrid batteries would go at some point).

I still have my 2006 SC430 for warm summer nights (won't happen here in Nebraska for quite a while), and my daily driver is a leased 2016 Dodge Ram 1500 pickup (which I really don't like much, but is very practical). I'm in no particular hurry to find a new LS, and I enjoy the hunt almost as much as the actual acquisition.

I'm still trying to decide which LS features are a "must-have" and which are a "desired" to have. I drive solo about 95 % of the time, so I don't really need the extra back seat space of an "L," although I do like the look of the L a bit and think it probably rides a bit better. I enjoyed the LS600hL's air ride suspension, but would probably be better off without it in the long run. I do want the ML stereo (must have), and AWD would be useful in these Nebraska winters.

So as an "opening salvo" in my quest to find the perfect next LS, here's a pretty nice candidate I found via a nationwide Craigslist search: https://fortcollins.craigslist.org/c...462239646.html

This one is a non-L model, sold in late 2011 (so hopefully it has the newer, better control arms). It has the rare matte-colored wood interior (which I LOVE), and has had 2 owners and no accidents (supposedly). The guy who is selling it works at a Toyota dealer and seems to be pretty open and honest about the car. Here's a copy of the Lexus history from My Lexus.com...

Of specific concern on the history is a persistent check engine light for a misfiring Cylinder 4 (starting in 2012 and going all the way through last month). The seller said Pedersen Lexus finally found the source of the problem - a rodent had chewed up a wiring harness. He sent photos and the invoice from Lexus saying it was repaired. Also of note is a persistent complaint of the engine ticking (the high-pressure direct injectors), but the seller said that the direct injectors were just replaced under warranty, and that the car no longer "ticks." The seller told me he had purchased a 36 month/36k mile Lexus Platinum warranty in March of 2017 at 41k miles, and that it could be negotiated into the deal.

So looking for thoughts from my CL friends. Is this a good deal? A great deal? I'd definitely want the warranty! I'd almost hate to find the perfect car this quickly, but I do really like the matte wood, the miles, the warranty, the price, etc., of this car...
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
2011 LS460 Colorado.pdf (68.1 KB, 150 views)
Old 02-05-18, 12:46 PM
greg3852
Lexus Test Driver

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by riknchar
CL friends. So I grew a bit tired of leasing my 2017 Genesis G90, and I discovered the dealer was happy to take it back for the current lease payoff amount, so I turned it back in. I really didn't have any complaints about the car - it was a pretty amazing setup, and I did enjoy the added safety features and electronic do-dads.

So anyway, I'm now starting to look at used LS460s with the idea to jump back in when I find the perfect candidate. I really enjoyed my 2008 LS600hL for a bit over 3 years. My main motivation in trading it in was simply the anticipated long-term cost of keeping it (air struts and hybrid batteries would go at some point).

I still have my 2006 SC430 for warm summer nights (won't happen here in Nebraska for quite a while), and my daily driver is a leased 2016 Dodge Ram 1500 pickup (which I really don't like much, but is very practical). I'm in no particular hurry to find a new LS, and I enjoy the hunt almost as much as the actual acquisition.

I'm still trying to decide which LS features are a "must-have" and which are a "desired" to have. I drive solo about 95 % of the time, so I don't really need the extra back seat space of an "L," although I do like the look of the L a bit and think it probably rides a bit better. I enjoyed the LS600hL's air ride suspension, but would probably be better off without it in the long run. I do want the ML stereo (must have), and AWD would be useful in these Nebraska winters.

So as an "opening salvo" in my quest to find the perfect next LS, here's a pretty nice candidate I found via a nationwide Craigslist search: https://fortcollins.craigslist.org/c...462239646.html

This one is a non-L model, sold in late 2011 (so hopefully it has the newer, better control arms). It has the rare matte-colored wood interior (which I LOVE), and has had 2 owners and no accidents (supposedly). The guy who is selling it works at a Toyota dealer and seems to be pretty open and honest about the car. Here's a copy of the Lexus history from My Lexus.com...

Of specific concern on the history is a persistent check engine light for a misfiring Cylinder 4 (starting in 2012 and going all the way through last month). The seller said Pedersen Lexus finally found the source of the problem - a rodent had chewed up a wiring harness. He sent photos and the invoice from Lexus saying it was repaired. Also of note is a persistent complaint of the engine ticking (the high-pressure direct injectors), but the seller said that the direct injectors were just replaced under warranty, and that the car no longer "ticks." The seller told me he had purchased a 36 month/36k mile Lexus Platinum warranty in March of 2017 at 41k miles, and that it could be negotiated into the deal.

So looking for thoughts from my CL friends. Is this a good deal? A great deal? I'd definitely want the warranty! I'd almost hate to find the perfect car this quickly, but I do really like the matte wood, the miles, the warranty, the price, etc., of this car...
WTH? Poor Genesis didn't last long. Was it just boring, or you just felt like something new?
Old 02-05-18, 01:09 PM
Brewmyown
Pole Position

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

If you can find one with a Platinum Lexus Warranty, find an L model loaded and don't worry about the repairs covered under the warranty. If the air suspension is a deal breaker, there are L models out there without air. You just don't get most of the back seat luxuries. Like you, I liked the look of the L so the one I found and bought is fully loaded air and all. I actually test drove two identical model L color combos I was looking for on the same day. One didn't have the air and rear seat bells and whistles, etc. and the other was fully loaded. The prices were the same because the non air had less miles on it. I just liked the air ride & ride option (Sport, Comfort, Normal & ride height selections) so that's what I got.

I do all my own work on my cars so although the air struts are pricey to buy and may be an issue down the road on my 07 I purchased a few months ago, I'm not too worried about replacing them when the time comes. I love the ride and the choices of the ride they offer.

Good luck and happy hunting.
Old 02-05-18, 01:28 PM
Dave144239
Instructor

Received 215 Likes on 162 Posts

That's my car, except mine is Smoky Granite Mica. I paid $26k at a Lexus dealer in December, and mine had new brakes, tires, and battery. I'd say you could talk them down a bit.
Old 02-05-18, 02:04 PM
riknchar
Instructor

Originally Posted by greg3852
WTH? Poor Genesis didn't last long. Was it just boring, or you just felt like something new?
Greg, Very true! I have a bad habit of switching cars way too frequently. I really did like almost everything about the G90, from the size/imposing stance, the ride, the refinement, the safety features, etc. I was slightly disenchanted about the 3.3L Twin Turbo engine (vs the V8). The gearing of the car was just slightly too tall at low speeds (i.e., the car would be in like 4th or 5th gear at 25 mph I think), and the engine would lug slightly if slowly accelerating at that speed. I think the V8 would have possibly solved that minor problem. I also didn't care for the audio setup very much -- the volume was all over the map when I changed stations, and there was no built-in DVD player (remedied in the 2018 models). The car was very quiet on the road, but not quite as silent as my old LS600hL.

In the end, I had a chance to jump out of the car with no loss at the 6-month point, which is rare in the leasing world, and I took it. I don't really need another car right now, so I figured I'll just take my time in picking out my next ride. I've toyed with several car ideas, including getting another LS600hL (2008's can be easily had for around $20-22K), getting a cheap, high mileage 2010-2012 LS460 (or 460L), or even getting a very well preserved LS430 (I've always admired the conservative styling of the LS430s).

One thing my experiment with Genesis did teach me is how much I enjoy the LS forum (the Genesis forum is just okay at this point, with not as many contributing members).
The following users liked this post:
dlbuckls10 (02-06-18)
Old 02-05-18, 02:24 PM
rick3242
Pit Crew

Received 64 Likes on 56 Posts

Seams to me like a pretty strong deal. It has exactly what you want and you can get a platinum support agreement. Did you run the vin through carfax? If you do and it comes clean I would make the visit to see it. That has may favorite interior as well. Good Luck.
Old 02-05-18, 02:42 PM
Spudo769
Pit Crew

Received 52 Likes on 41 Posts

48,000 on a 7 or 8 year old car is low, meaning it was probably not a daily driver. Not a bad thing, but I had a similar experience last fall when I bought an 07 SWB with 67,000 on it. Beautiful car, never in the snow, stored in an unattached garage along a lake. I had it about a week when lights came on and it went into limp mode. Turned out to be a mouse nest under the manifold, specifically a mouse chewed through the wire to the a knock sensor. Local Toyota dealer cleaned it up, and fixed the wire. $900 and a few days later I was back on the road trouble free. Now that I am using it as a daily it doesn't sit long enough for mice to get established. Lesson learned about low mileage cars. Experienced mechanics know the mouse smell, they suspected that as soon as they popped the hood.

I love the car you are looking at. If the dealership and seller seem trustworthy I would say go for it. I really like the matte wood, and by 2011 most bugs ( and rodents) are worked out.
Old 02-05-18, 07:33 PM
davedudu
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Might I ask you how you computed your lease payoff amount on the g90?
Old 02-05-18, 08:19 PM
comotiger
Pole Position

Received 296 Likes on 254 Posts

Hi Rick,

I am very surprised you decided to forego the luxurious G90 with all the bells and whistles for a less-equipped LS460. It's great to have you back in the fold!

While I have not looked closely at the 2011 LS you posted, how about the following 2013 460L? It's listed at 30,995, but it has been sitting for a while, so lower price is a possibility. And it has the dark matte wood finish you like.
http://www.carsourceauto.com/2013-Le...4/Details.aspx
Old 02-05-18, 08:30 PM
highrev6
Lead Lap

Received 87 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by comotiger
Hi Rick,

I am very surprised you decided to forego the luxurious G90 with all the bells and whistles for a less-equipped LS460. It's great to have you back in the fold!

While I have not looked closely at the 2011 LS you posted, how about the following 2013 460L? It's listed at 30,995, but it has been sitting for a while, so lower price is a possibility. And it has the dark matte wood finish you like.

it was removed from the inventory. But I agree, I would shoot for a ‘13 LS460 with full LED headlights and blind spot monitor for the high $20k low $30k range.
Old 02-05-18, 08:50 PM
comotiger
Pole Position

Received 296 Likes on 254 Posts

That's so weird that it came off inventory soon after I checked it.

The listing still shows up on cargurus. Maybe it's sold, but it is still worth a look!
https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/invent...ting=190271746
Old 02-06-18, 05:52 AM
riknchar
Instructor

Hi Rick,

AC: Yeah, I did enjoy the G90's amenities while I had it. I honestly was very happy with the car, and could see myself one day jumping back into a lightly used 3-year old G90 (an Ultimate w/V8 next time) for a bargain price (the depreciation on the Genesis cars is insane!). My dumping it when I did was based more on the fact that I could get out of it without a loss. And I also concluded that owning 3 cars and 3 motorcycles at the same time is sort of overkill (heresy to many on this forum, I know ;-) Here in Nebraska, our annual license fees include a Property Tax component based on the value/age of the car. I was paying $1200 a year for the G90 license plates. My 2006 SC430 plates are $60 a year... So the idea of waiting a few months until my Ram 1500 goes back (lease ends this summer) while I take my time to find the perfect well-kept LS seemed smarter to me.
Old 02-06-18, 05:53 AM
riknchar
Instructor

That's so weird that it came off inventory soon after I checked it.

The listing still shows up on cargurus. Maybe it's sold, but it is still worth a look!
https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/invent...ting=190271746
Must have sold. It came off of CarGurus also.
Old 02-06-18, 05:56 AM
riknchar
Instructor

Originally Posted by davedudu
Might I ask you how you computed your lease payoff amount on the g90?
I simply called Hyundai and asked what the payoff was, very much the same process if I had financed a purchase of the car. When I leased the car last summer, there were huge lease rebates and discounts. I think I ended up getting the car for around $15K off sticker. This is what enabled me to get out so quickly without penalty.
Old 02-06-18, 08:07 AM
satiger
Instructor

Received 90 Likes on 65 Posts

Wow, that was a surprise move Rick but glad you are getting back to LS.

Since you are coming from LS600 and loaded G90, I am not sure how a less loaded would fit into your likings in long run.

If you could tolerate 2013+ style front grill, I suggest looking into 2013+ models. On a L base, blind spot monitoring is a life saver. If you wanted Lexus extended warranty, you may want to check cars within 4 yrs old or 50k miles which ever comes first.

Quick Reply: Thoughts on this 2011 LS460