LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Air Suspension Perspective

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-18, 02:55 PM
Luscombe8A
Pit Crew

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts
Question Air Suspension Perspective

Please humor me for a minute about this post.
I am researching for an LS460 Base or (L) acquisition in April. I have a option list of must haves and hopefuls. Will limit search to 2011-2013 to avoid control arm issues and maybe obtain lower mileage.

Still not sure where the Air Suspension lands on my list though. I have read a great deal of posts on CL about the air suspension but am still a bit confused.

This is my perception, please let me know if I have it right and if not what else needs to be in the equation.
I understand the air suspension will fail at some point and need replacement parts, I plan on keeping the car for 200k +.
Based upon what I am reading, I think the parts mostly needed are:
1. The air shocks at say $800/each for Non-OEM x 4 = $3,200 + labor
2. The air compressor. I have seen some priced at about $1,000 + labor

So it seems that the risk over time if I were to keep the vehicle for 200k + miles. I should budget about $4,200 plus labor to address repairs.

Question:
Are there other components in the system, like the controller, that are prone to typical failures that should be considered or is it basically the shocks and pump that require replacements?

If the risk is basically just the shocks and pump, it seems reasonable to consider a car with the air suspension so long as you set aside some $ and look at it as a DIY fix. I am good with that but am interested in hearing about other experiencing.
Note I am not interested in lowering the car with a custom air system, just want to keep it stock w/o OEM parts.

Appreciate your insights.
Gary
Old 02-06-18, 06:48 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,730 Likes on 1,956 Posts

I'm someone who has had the base coil suspension and the air suspension particularly on the LS460. My opinion of the air suspension changed once I spent time driving one with the air suspension, its benefits are not really apparent in just a test drive, you have to live with it day to day to get why its better. Its not softer really than the coil spring car, which is why on a test drive I kind of determined it wasn't worth the downside risk. However, when you live with it you realize how much more refined it makes the drive, the car has less NVH, its quieter over bumps because you don't hear and feel the springs and all compress. It makes the car handle loads of people and stuff better, and the drive modes do have an impact how the car drives.

After having the air suspension, I think its worth the risk.

Its a complex system, and with any complex system comes additional potential repair costs. Most of what I have seen though you find failed air shocks more than anything else.
The following users liked this post:
dlbuckls10 (02-06-18)
Old 02-06-18, 07:00 PM
Lexuslsguy
Pole Position

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

The air suspension is definitely worth it in a large luxury sedan. Yes, it is more expensive to maintain.
The following users liked this post:
dlbuckls10 (02-06-18)
Old 02-07-18, 09:28 AM
satiger
Instructor

Received 90 Likes on 65 Posts

I have GX with air and front shocks were replaced due to leaky shocks few months back. I purchased OEM parts online (saves money). GX fronts are heavier than LS.

So, I would expect LS air to last at least 150k miles. Again, I don't drive like teenager . Considering how refined and luxury driving experience (especially on long drives) it provides, I wouldn't buy another Lexus without air.

Like any other man made part, its bound to fail some point in time but definitely not before you would need tire and/or brake job done .
Old 02-07-18, 10:18 AM
rick3242
Pit Crew

Received 64 Likes on 56 Posts

After reading many posts on this board I too was concerned about getting air suspension. So I called two local lexus dealers and asked for a service rep and told them I was looking at two used 460's. Pretty much identical except one had air suspension and the other did not. Both said that the air suspension does not have any higher fail rate and that it should not even come into my decisions making. So - I ended up getting the air and love it. Glad I did. Subsequently I found out my coworkers brother was a mechanic for three years at one of the local lexus dealers, I also called him and asked him his thoughts if I should look for used air suspension parts just in case. He said if it was his money he would not. Good luck.
Old 02-07-18, 12:19 PM
VanCityLS4
Lead Lap

Received 76 Likes on 56 Posts

Swap to coil and spring. Pull fuses. Save thousands.
Old 02-07-18, 12:57 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by VanCityLS4
Swap to coil and spring. Pull fuses. Save thousands.
But you then loose the benefits of the air suspension.
Old 02-07-18, 02:38 PM
Luscombe8A
Pit Crew

Thanks for the replies Guys!
Has anyone had any failures on the air system other than shocks and the compressor?

As an aside, I had the adaptive suspension option on my 2012 X5 and loved it.

I am curious about just what else has typically failed on the LS460 air suspension.

Thanks,
Old 02-08-18, 09:12 AM
Craiger
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've only had air on an LS and I love it. I'm thinking about getting lower mile LS and I'll probably go for air. It's the best. I really like the ride options. I keep it in 'Sport' almost all the time, even on the freeway. It still rides nice compared to most cars and if I have to do evasive maneuvers I know I'll want it in 'Sport'.

I've been off road with mine too. It's nice to be able to put into "High" mode.
And hey, if you spring for new air units (no pun intended), then you should be able to recover some of that cost if you sell within, say, 100,000 miles (since they seem to last about 150,000).

I have a question too:
I heard that when you go around a turn the outside bags increase pressure to keep the car more level. Is that true? It feels that way but it may be me and not the car.

Last edited by Craiger; 02-08-18 at 09:17 AM.
Old 02-08-18, 09:16 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Craiger
I heard that when you go around a turn the outside bags increase pressure to keep the car more level. Is that true? It feels that way but it may be me and not the car.
Yep, it does.
Old 02-08-18, 09:21 AM
Craiger
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
Yep, it does.
So you understand how the system works? Just curious. How does it know how much to increase pressure on the outside bags? Does it reduce pressure on the inside bags?
I haven't searched but I will - is there a good description somewhere which describes the function of the entire system?
Old 02-08-18, 09:24 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

The system adjusts the dampers and pressure on all 4 corners in real time, so its responding to side to side movement, front to back movement, and load and adjusting them continuously to deliver as flat a ride as it can.

If you look at threads by mckellyb he has a lot of good descriptions of the system and how it works.
The following 2 users liked this post by SW17LS:
Craiger (02-08-18), Luscombe8A (02-08-18)
Old 02-08-18, 02:43 PM
Luscombe8A
Pit Crew

The system adjusts the dampers and pressure on all 4 corners in real time, so its responding to side to side movement, front to back movement, and load and adjusting them continuously to deliver as flat a ride as it can.

If you look at threads by mckellyb he has a lot of good descriptions of the system and how it works.
One of my questions has to do with the various sensors that feed whatever cpu tells one corner to stiffen up and the other to soften up. BMW called it "Adaptive Drive" not sure what Lexus calls it. I too am interested in learning more about the specific operation.
Gary
Old 02-08-18, 03:44 PM
213374U
Lexus Test Driver

Received 138 Likes on 119 Posts

The bags do not fill to counter body roll in turns, only the dampers adjust. The 600hL goes a step further with optional active sway bars.
Old 02-08-18, 06:43 PM
Luscombe8A
Pit Crew

Many thanks to MCKELLYB for his write ups of the air suspension. I read through most of them and now understand the system much better. I can see why people love the system. I was dead set against getting an LS with the air suspension but now will not avoid them if the build and color is what I am looking for.

Quick Reply: Air Suspension Perspective