LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Do I need AWD

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-18, 07:05 AM
brucelee1
Racer

Received 89 Likes on 76 Posts
Default Do I need AWD

Hello all,
Live in New England and thinking about an LS460. I always mount winter tires on my ES350 and am wondering if I really need AWD?
I am fine about that, but it limits the number of cars that I can contemplate.

Opinions from those in snow country?

Thank you.
Old 02-07-18, 07:30 AM
joedaddy1
Racer

Received 190 Likes on 147 Posts

If you are going to put on winter tires.. you'll be fine..

But at the end of the day, if you have a job where you drive to even in the snow, I would spring for the AWD.

The "assurance" of AWD works wonders.
Old 02-07-18, 08:57 AM
Spudo769
Pit Crew

Received 52 Likes on 41 Posts

I live in Iowa, snow country. I run RWD with dedicated winter tires. No issue so far. For the 1-3 days per year that you may find your self out in a snow event it is not worth it to me to have AWD the other 360 odd days using more gas and giving less power. For those really bad times, I am lucky we also have an RX350 in the family. And while I haven't driven yet in really heavy snow with the LS, in the lighter snow and slush or ice it has been no problem with the winter tires with good remaining life.
Old 02-07-18, 10:23 AM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Received 354 Likes on 244 Posts

I've driven my RWD LS460 for four years in New England with snow tires, never had a problem. The traction control and abs is excellent on these cars, really keeps the car going straight down the round in snow, as long as you have decent snow tires. Without them? Forget it.

I do think AWD would of course be better but like I said, the car is fine with snow tires. And if you get studded snows? Be even better.
Old 02-07-18, 11:10 AM
xfea
Intermediate

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by brucelee1
Hello all,
Live in New England and thinking about an LS460. I always mount winter tires on my ES350 and am wondering if I really need AWD?
I am fine about that, but it limits the number of cars that I can contemplate.

Opinions from those in snow country?

Thank you.
I've spent years in the high sierras - can get tons of snow and hilly conditions.
My LX 570 on snow tires is the way to go.
There have been occasions where a RWD sedan (like my old GS300 or 2013 LS 460) just could not have come through..
Granted those are few and far between - but if you NEED to get through snow...4WD
Old 02-07-18, 11:19 AM
LR3vsLS
Rookie

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

no...
no...
no...
Old 02-07-18, 11:33 AM
JLAWS
Racer

Received 214 Likes on 163 Posts

I would say yes if you went to the extent of putting snow tires on your previous fwd Lexus. RWD LS460 seems more rare up north. I have a rwd 2008 and it does not see snow. I have a beater Toyota Camry for the snow. One time I backed out of my garage to get out the snow blower out, My driveway has a slight slope. I had some difficult driving back the Ls460 into the garage. My previous GS350 with awd was unstoppable in snow.
Old 02-07-18, 11:35 AM
greg3852
Lexus Test Driver

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Drove my RWD without snow tires in MA and never had an issue. The traction control was amazing.
Old 02-07-18, 12:04 PM
PwrdbyM
Driver

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

The AWD is only functioning when you're applying power to the wheels, so under braking or coasting the traction comes down to what the tires can provide. You already know the benefits of winter tires, even an AWD vehicle needs adequate traction for the reasons already mentioned. A car with lower ground clearance limits your mobility in deeper snow. The ultimate bad weather vehicle is AWD and winter tires, but RWD with proper rubber can likely handle most situations. How often must you drive in the worst weather? Understanding that AWD brings with it additional components for repair and maintenance, slightly decreased mpg, and possibly a higher entry cost, you have to ask yourself, do I need the ultimate in bad weather mobility.........
Old 02-07-18, 01:50 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,715 Likes on 1,944 Posts

If you're going to put winter tires on it, you'll be fine. If you're planning on staying on allseasons, then yes I would get the AWD.

Lexus AWD system on their sedans is excellent BTW
Old 02-07-18, 04:37 PM
Scrutator
Pole Position

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

Whether you need AWD or not, I don't know. I can only relate my experience with my LS 430 RWD with all-season tires vs. my LS 460 AWD with Nokian Hakkapeliitta winter tires.

Once, in my 430, it had just started to snow and stick on the road. I figured this was no problem, and it wasn't, until I reached a 20-degree grade. The road appeared fine and I didn't anticipate a problem. I got about 150 feet up the 300-foot uphill section and then I was done. I wasn't going anywhere. I had to get out and put chains on right in the middle of the road which I hurriedly put on while other traffic was trying to get around me. A hair-raising and unpleasant experience to be sure.

Another time, at a ski resort with a slight incline (maybe 10-15 degree slope), going along the aisles which were perpendicular to the slope, the front wheels would slide downhill towards the other parked cars when I started forward. I came within about two inches of hitting them. Some kind skiers pushed the front of the car up till I got out of the bind.

So, I got my LS 460 with AWD because I never wanted to be in those predicaments again. Now, in winter, with my AWD F Sport and winter tires, I can go anywhere. I set the air-suspension to high and have no worries. I've gone up and down a 30-degree driveway in snow without any issue whatsoever.

My guess is that with AWD, even with AS tires, I would have been fine in both of those situations. But now I don't worry about it at all.
Old 02-07-18, 04:53 PM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

Just drive slow when it snows, stay in the right lane u will be fine. Now if ya get out to ski hills and such get snows.
Old 02-07-18, 04:57 PM
tofuprod
Instructor

Received 258 Likes on 199 Posts

Chicago just got hit with snow pretty bad. the AWD on my LS is fine, and it's heavy enough too.

It doesn't necessarily matter as "much" on AWD or not, but rather the right tires.

I've driven numerous vehicles in the snow that were rear wheel drive, my s2000 included, and as long as you if you had dedicated winter/snow tires on a rear wheel drive car, you're golden, it would do even better than vehicles with AWD that had/have all-seasons.

Dedicated tires are key, if you want the most out of a situation. All-seasons are good, but not great; as they are a jack of all trades but a master of none.

AWD WITH snow tires? Now you're talking
Old 02-07-18, 04:58 PM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

I have never ever needed AWD with my LS430 with X ice3's. I ski all the time in huge stroms in the UP of Michigan, 200 inches to date no probs.
Old 02-07-18, 08:34 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 506 Likes on 384 Posts

My RWD with dedicated ice/snow tires is unstoppable in the snow. I would never get AWD unless I had to. Unfortunately al Canadian LS's after 2012 (or so), are only available with AWD

Quick Reply: Do I need AWD