LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

High and Rough On One Side

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-18, 11:53 AM
Brewmyown
Pole Position

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
Default High and Rough On One Side

The title may be a little misleading but.... I have a 2007 LS 460L with 85,000 miles on it. When I went out to the garage this morning to go to work, the front drivers side (the only side I can see while parked in my garage) was a little higher in the front than the back. I did a visual and it was easily an inch or so higher above the tire than the rear. I got in the car and pulled out of my (heated) garage and when I went don the curb it didn't feel right. As I drove to work it seemed like the car was really high on the drivers side and I could feel every little bump. When I got to work, a went to step out of the car to walk around it and take a look and the drivers side was so high that I felt the difference when I was getting out of the seat. When I looked at the drivers side it was way higher than the passenger side and probably 2" or so higher than when I looked at it before coming to work. When I went to push on the front drivers corner to check and see if it would bounce, it was as stiff as can be. The rear corner wasn't much better but seemed to give more than the front. I posted a couple of pictures of the height difference drivers side to passenger side.

When I get home I'm going to hook it up to techstream and see what I can find but I thought I would post this and see if anyone has experienced something like this and if you found the cause. I will post back when I discover what's going on. I love the air suspension. I know it is not cheap to fix but I knew this going in and planned that I'd be fixing things along the way. I don't mind replacing a strut here and there or a ride height sensor, etc. I know it can get expensive and that's fine, I just hope its a something as easy as that and not some sort of electrical bug I have to track down.
Attached Thumbnails High and Rough On One Side-img_2726.jpg   High and Rough On One Side-img_2727.jpg  
Old 02-08-18, 01:02 PM
k311in
Pit Crew

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

When I was messing with one of my height sensor it did the same thing. So I'm thinking height sensor. Maybe try adjusting it and see if it would go down.
Old 02-08-18, 01:19 PM
Brewmyown
Pole Position

I'm going to see what can be done using Techstream and go from there. I just got it a short time ago and have only been toying around with it to get familiar with it. I've read a few posts on adjusting the suspension, etc., so I'll see what happens. First I'll see if there are any faults and go from there. Then I'll save the info and put the car back to default and see what happens.
Old 02-08-18, 07:24 PM
Brewmyown
Pole Position

Ok, I hooked up Techstream and came up with code C1761 “Continuous Current to Compressor Motor”. Also took a screen shot of my existing condition and you can see that the suspension is maxed out and the dampeners are also maxed at 17. I have to do some research to see if I can find the testing proceedures for this code and go from there. I also have to see if there’s a “reset” procedure to reset the suspension and go from there.

if anyone has any comments or suggestions, please post them. I will post back any results I have.
Attached Thumbnails High and Rough On One Side-ebbd008d-f292-4fcd-92e8-7ac4b140905f.png  
Old 02-08-18, 07:32 PM
fwhomeboy
Racer

Received 214 Likes on 180 Posts

Originally Posted by Brewmyown
I'm going to see what can be done using Techstream and go from there. I just got it a short time ago and have only been toying around with it to get familiar with it. I've read a few posts on adjusting the suspension, etc., so I'll see what happens. First I'll see if there are any faults and go from there. Then I'll save the info and put the car back to default and see what happens.
How much was the Techstream deal?
Old 02-08-18, 07:35 PM
Brewmyown
Pole Position

I got the cable and the program version 12.30.17 on eBay for $35 I believe. I’m running it on a Windows 10 64 bit PC
The following users liked this post:
fwhomeboy (02-08-18)
Old 02-09-18, 12:22 PM
k311in
Pit Crew

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

Correct me if I'm wrong but wouldnt the compressor be constantly on raise all 4 corners?
Old 02-09-18, 02:06 PM
Brewmyown
Pole Position

I thought the same thing but then I thought that maybe the two corners on the drivers side where calling for air when the malfunction occurred so those where the only corners that raised? I haven’t started troubleshooting it yet. Im trying to look into if there’s a “reset” to get it to default settings and then see if it happens again. I’ll post what I find.

As always, if anyone has any information that may help me or point me in a certain direction, please feel free to post
Old 02-09-18, 03:46 PM
comotiger
Pole Position

Received 295 Likes on 253 Posts

Originally Posted by Brewmyown
I thought the same thing but then I thought that maybe the two corners on the drivers side where calling for air when the malfunction occurred so those where the only corners that raised? I haven’t started troubleshooting it yet. Im trying to look into if there’s a “reset” to get it to default settings and then see if it happens again. I’ll post what I find.
As always, if anyone has any information that may help me or point me in a certain direction, please feel free to post
IMO, the person on CL who would be most familiar with your issues would be mckellyb. He has several threads on the air suspension, and he has played around a lot with the suspension settings using Techstream. Here are some of the threads. Feel free to PM McKellyb. Good luck!

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...de-height.html
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...s-comfort.html
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...r-problem.html
Old 02-09-18, 06:00 PM
Brewmyown
Pole Position

You read my mind! I read through a couple of those posts previously and was thinking the same thing. Thank you for taking the time to post those links!
Old 02-10-18, 01:06 PM
Brewmyown
Pole Position

I went out and cleared the code, started the car and it leveled out and the dampening worked as it should on my short test drive. I checked for a trouble code and nothing was present. I pulled back into my garage and was sitting there scrolling through a bunch of different things on Techstream and it felt like the car was higher? I went to step out to see what it looked like and it was topped out again! I looked at Techstream again and sure enough the numbers were all up and the code c1761. I cleared it again and the car settled back down at the normal height. I’m still looking for a place to start testing (pin out locations, etc). I don’t want to just start tearing things apart. I have a service manual on its way so I’m sure that will point me in the right direction to start my Diagnosis. I don’t mind replacing parts as long as I know the issue will be fixed.

Hopefully I’ll Be able to track down the issue and report back.
Old 02-10-18, 01:35 PM
mckellyb
Lexus Test Driver

Received 147 Likes on 109 Posts

Wow! Thanks for the credit, comotiger!

Yeah, it's not like I wanted to know as much as I do about it, but mine didn't work when I got it...at least the variable damping part didn't. And to fix that, I had to learn quite a bit about it just to know how it should behave.

Okay, Brewmyown, you can blow off the fact all the damping settings are maxed out at 17. That's normal when stopped, engine running or not, in gear or not. They'll change the second you start moving.

It sounds like something is tricking the compressor into staying on 100% of the time, and the LF corner, for whatever reason, isn't bleeding off the extra air pressure. ...yet all the other corners are....

Hmmm...

Let me think about this for a bit. In the meantime, get it back to 'normal', engine running, then press 'height high'. With the radio off, windows closed, HVAC off, you should be able to barely hear the compressor running.

If you can't tell, turn the 'height high' switch back 'off', and see if you hear a distant "brrrrrrrrr" sound stop. Press the button one more time, and it the noise should return.

FWIW, mine takes only about 30 seconds to go from normal to high. So at 20 seconds, kill it, because you don't want the compressor running more than it needs to.

Now, there is a definite chance, after you reset the codes... Hold on. Clear the codes, start it, let it run five seconds, shut it off. Fire it back up, and then see if you can hear the compressor.

Don't try to listen for it outside the cabin, you can't hear it. Well, you kinda can, but I can hear mine only when it cycles on or off.

The second time you start it, whether you hear the compressor or not, get out, close the door, and watch the LF corner to see if it's rising. If so...ummmm...let us know. Give it a minute of watching.

I was also going to suggest, if you don't hear the compressor on the second start, and it's not rising, while at idle, press the 'height high' button, then cycle it back 'off', get out, close the door, and watch the LF corner to see if it keeps going up.

If it does keep rising, turn the engine off, because that's a good way to burn up the compressor. You don't want to know what those cost.

I plan on, if I have to, having mine rebuilt by someone, locally. Or, barring that, I'll give it a shot.

Has the weather been any different the past couple of days?

I like the LF height sensor being broken, because that's what it sounds like...though, I figured not getting a signal from that sensor would throw it's own code. Regardless, you have a TS, we'll figure this out.
The following users liked this post:
Brewmyown (02-10-18)
Old 02-10-18, 02:00 PM
Brewmyown
Pole Position

Thanks a LOT for teaming up on this. I will try your suggestions and post back. On another note, I can’t remember what module I was in but I’m positive it wasn’t in the Air Suspension module and noticed a “C1628 vehicle height sensor failure” code. I haven’t had time to research it yet. I did a quick search for about 10 minutes and didn’t come up with anything definitive before I had to tend to other things. I’ll get back on that later tonight.

I recently (a week or so ago) had the Christmas tree of lights ABS, PCS, etc. show up and had to replace a faulty rear wheel speed sensor & harness. The harness had some corrosion so I just replaced it. I don’t think that has any correlation.

Last edited by Brewmyown; 02-10-18 at 02:20 PM.
Old 02-12-18, 08:47 AM
Brewmyown
Pole Position

mckelly b, I cleared the code and started the car and it all leveled out to "normal". I drove into work this morning which is 40 miles and it was fine all the way in. I pulled into my parking spot and just sat there idling for a minute or so. I brought my laptop with me so I hooked it up to see what was going on. The levels looked fine and I hit the "High Height" button on and off a couple of times to make sure it was in fact turning the compressor on and off and I could hear it doing so. I sat there idling for a minute and all of the sudden, the FR Height Control Sensor started to change (going up)? At this point I tried hitting the Height button on and off to see if it was a possible issue with the button just to rule it out but the compressor wouldn't stop. It just kept going up so I stopped the car. I started it back up and the car leveled out again. I let it idle for a minute or so then the RL Height Control Sensor started rising and before I realized it was up over 2 inches! The C1761 "Continuous Current to Compressor Motor" error popped up (not exactly sure when this happened) so I cleared it, shut of and then restarted the car and it went back to "normal" height again. I am still waiting for my service manual to arrive to do some diagnostic pin testing on the air system ECU, height sensors, etc. If it was always the same sensor, I would be pointing to it as the culprit but now that its doing it with two different sensors, maybe its the ECU? I'm not excited about spending $900 on a new ECU but if it fixes the issue, I don't mind spending the money.
Old 02-12-18, 09:35 AM
mckellyb
Lexus Test Driver

Received 147 Likes on 109 Posts

Does your car have the sport package on it? 19" wheels, different suspension calibration, and the like? I'm with you on it being more than a bit odd two different sensors are doing it, and they're doing so with no change in the height sensors' input.

These have a dedicated suspension computer, which isn't horrible to access (it's above the glovebox)...and I happen to have a spare.

I bought it in case, while I was trying to fix my own, the computer was the culprit. Wasn't, but I did swap it out in the garage to see if behavior was the same. It was, though I don't know how different the calibration is. I know it definitely works, though. Let me know if you're interested...it's just taking up garage space. $100, shipped.

BTW, outstanding job in troubleshooting! That's exactly they way I'd have done it, your reactions and everything.

Quick Reply: High and Rough On One Side