LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

DRCC and rain

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-18, 09:27 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,730 Likes on 1,956 Posts
Default DRCC and rain

Greetings from 35,000 feet...family and I are on our way to LA.

Anyways, I noticed something driving the LS to the airport this morning (pray for her parked at the airport lol. My wife and kids are coming back before me and she will need to have the van when she gets home). It was raining heavily, and I went to use the DRCC and it engaged for a second and then released and said that it wasn't available. I've noticed this a couple other times when driving in the rain. Anybody else had the same issue?

My other cars with DRCC haven't had this issue, Chrysler/Jeep or Kia...
Old 02-11-18, 09:50 AM
comotiger
Pole Position

Received 295 Likes on 253 Posts

Hi Steve, happy travels to LA!

Yes, the DRCC disengages in the rain or snow flurries, depending upon the intensity. A slight drizzle doesn’t affect the DRCC, but a heavier downpour does. I don’t know how much of this is due to the sensitivity threshold of the DRCC and it being confused. It could also just be that Lexus has programmed the system to turn off in such conditions for safety reasons.
Old 02-11-18, 10:34 AM
satiger
Instructor

Received 90 Likes on 65 Posts

I believe Steve is referring to dynamic radar cruise control.

Yes, DRCC dis-engages in heavy rain/snow. Also Lexus advices not to use DRCC during such conditions (it's in the manual).

Lexus was so conservative so much that I believe pre 2010 models weren't offered with DRCC option in NE region.
Old 02-11-18, 10:36 AM
comotiger
Pole Position

Hi Chris, are you referring to the radar cruise control or rain-sensing wipers? There is no adjustment for the DRCC, only the option to switch between DRCC and regular CC by toggling the CC stalk.

The dial on the wiper stalk changes the interval between wipes not the sensitivity of the rain sensor. I wonder if your rain sensor has trapped some moisture. Or did you replace your windshield recently?
Old 02-11-18, 10:39 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 508 Likes on 385 Posts

I'm an idiot. I deleted my post. Sorry - I thought we were talking about rain sensing wipers. My car doesn't have the fancy stuff (DRCC) that some of you guys have...
Old 02-11-18, 12:50 PM
comotiger
Pole Position

Originally Posted by roadfrog
I'm an idiot. I deleted my post. Sorry - I thought we were talking about rain sensing wipers. My car doesn't have the fancy stuff (DRCC) that some of you guys have...
LOL, sxxt happens! Seriously though, did your wiper control issues coincide with something else, for example, windshield replacement?
Old 02-11-18, 12:58 PM
hfahmy
Instructor

Received 56 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS

Anyways, I noticed something driving the LS to the airport this morning (pray for her parked at the airport lol. My wife and kids are coming back before me and she will need to have the van when she gets home). It was raining heavily, and I went to use the DRCC and it engaged for a second and then released and said that it wasn't available. I've noticed this a couple other times when driving in the rain. Anybody else had the same issue?

normal. Happens to me all the time in heavy rain
Old 02-11-18, 01:23 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 508 Likes on 385 Posts

Originally Posted by comotiger
LOL, sxxt happens! Seriously though, did your wiper control issues coincide with something else, for example, windshield replacement?
No. That would have been my first thought too. I did however, get a ding repair, but I can't see that being any kind of issue.
Old 02-11-18, 05:34 PM
Nospinzone

Received 423 Likes on 326 Posts

Chris can probably confirm this, but radar doesn't work well in heavy rain/snow. That's why you don't see police using it in the rain. I have used my radar CC in fairly good rain, but it will shut off if it gets too heavy or if there is a lot of spray from a vehicle in front of me. However, it does give an audible and visual warning that it has shut down.
Old 02-11-18, 05:46 PM
jmcraney

Received 273 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS

Here's a clip from the 2015 LS460 Owner's Manual:
■Automatic cancelation of vehicle-to-vehicle distance control Vehicle-to-vehicle distance control driving is automatically canceled in the following situations: ●Actual vehicle speed falls below approximately 25 mph (40 km/h) when there are no vehicle ahead. ●The preceding vehicle leaves the lane when your vehicle is following at a speed below 25 mph (40 km/h). ●VSC is activated. ●TRAC is activated for a period of time. ●When the VSC or TRAC system is turned off by pressing the VSC OFF switch. ●The sensor cannot operate correctly because it is covered in some way. ●The windshield wipers are operating at high speed (when the wiper switch is set to the “AUTO” mode or the high speed wiper operation position). ●When snow mode is set. ●The parking brake is operated. ●The vehicle is stopped by system control on a steep incline. ●Pre-collision brake assist is activated. ●The following are detected when the vehicle has been stopped by system control: • The driver is not wearing a seat belt. • The driver’s door is opened. • The trunk or hood is opened. • The vehicle has been stopped for about 3 minutes. If vehicle-to-vehicle distance control driving is automatically canceled for any other reason, there may be a malfunction in the system. Contact your Lexus dealer.
Old 02-11-18, 07:51 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Interesting about the wipers, that makes sense. Thats kind of annoying...
Old 02-12-18, 05:45 AM
jmcraney

Received 273 Likes on 207 Posts

It's been well understood that the use of cruise control on surfaces that have reduced traction increases the risk of loss of directional control in some situations. For many years cruise control was disabled as soon as the windshield wipers were turned on. With the advent of VSC and TRAC as standard on all cars the cruise control is disengaged when they are activated allowing us to use the cruise control and windshield wipers simultaneously in most situations.

Safe driving tips from StateFarm: https://www.statefarm.com/simple-ins...ly-in-the-rain
Old 02-12-18, 06:24 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by jmcraney
It's been well understood that the use of cruise control on surfaces that have reduced traction increases the risk of loss of directional control in some situations. For many years cruise control was disabled as soon as the windshield wipers were turned on. With the advent of VSC and TRAC as standard on all cars the cruise control is disengaged when they are activated allowing us to use the cruise control and windshield wipers simultaneously in most situations.

Safe driving tips from StateFarm: https://www.statefarm.com/simple-ins...ly-in-the-rain
I don't disagree, but I prefer to make decisions about what I feel is safe and what I feel is not vs the car deciding for me.

I've never owned a car that cancelled cruise control because of wiper usage, and I've had several cars with no TRAC or VSC. In fact this is the only car I've ever owned that cancelled cruise control for any reason other than the system couldn't function under the current circumstances.
Old 05-16-18, 09:56 AM
arkayem
6th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Turn Off DRCC in Heavy Rain

Originally Posted by SW17LS
...It was raining heavily, and I went to use the DRCC and it engaged for a second and then released and said that it wasn't available. I've noticed this a couple other times when driving in the rain. Anybody else had the same issue?
It has already been mentioned that this is normal, but no one has mentioned that it is easy to activate the regular (non-radar) cruise control, and that will work in all weather. To activate the regular cruise control, turn Off the cruise control, turn it back On, push the cruise control stalk forward for a second or two, notice the cruise symbol illuminate on the panel. Then use the control to lock you speed like with the DRCC. The only difference is that it won't increase or decrease the set speed by five MPH by holding it up or down.