LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Dayco Belt Tensioner or Oem ?

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-18, 11:02 AM
JLAWS
Racer

Received 214 Likes on 163 Posts
Default Dayco Belt Tensioner or Oem ?

UPDATE: OEM is Dayco ! I just replaced the belt tensioner and the old oem one and new one has a Dayco stamp on them! I got a good deal on the "oem" one but could have saved more by just getting a Dayco Tensioner.

I replaced the idler pulley as well. I am nearing 95K miles on my 2008 LS460. I was getting a slight chirp only at cold start up and figured my Dayco premium belt was failing again after 2 months. The noise would go away after 10 seconds so I figured the belt needed to warm up. To my surprise, the belt tensioner was near catastrophic failure!! While trying to loosen the tension on the belt the tensioner was wobbly. When I undid the tensioner (12mm socket and H6 hex socket) The entire unit easily split in half ! (3rd Pic) The bolts were holding it together. Also I was able to twist the tensioner by hand. The new one wouldn't even move.

It is a very easy DIY, I did it on my lunch break, it took 30 minutes, of that 10 minutes looking for my H6 socket btw it is also the size to remove the filler/purge cap on top of the radiator. The bolt weren't too hard to come out. I added a little Locktite one them for extra security.

I recommend changing the tensioner as preventative maintenance especially if you have similar years and miles on your LS460. The only indicator I got was an occasional light chirp at start up & no further noise when warmed up. Finally put some type of cover over that small tube on top of the radiator to prevent damage and a new radiator. The tube is notorious for snapping off if you put weight on them reaching down into the engine bay !

Original Post:

Anyone go with Dayco? Seems to be 1/2 the cost of oem. I recently changed the belt 2 months ago. I see no record of the tensioner changed so I plan to replace it along with the smooth idler pulley where you first disconnect the belt
Getting a tiny squeak but that seems to be after running thru a car wash then letting the car sit for a few days. I probably don't need to change it but might as well do some preventative maintenance for upcoming road trips in late spring.

Thanks
P.S : I will watch out for the fragile radiator tube on the top of the radiator !

Last edited by JLAWS; 05-23-18 at 06:44 PM. Reason: update
The following 2 users liked this post by JLAWS:
jadu (05-25-18), texas008 (11-04-22)
Old 02-14-18, 02:17 PM
xfea
Intermediate

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts

From previous experience - OEM.
I know this is thread is sponsored by Carson Toyota...but
My goto is Lexus of Pembroke Pines in Florida...great service and prices.
Old 02-15-18, 06:18 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 507 Likes on 385 Posts

Dayco is quality. I seldom get OEM anything and I've never regretted it. Get the Dayco. The easiest way to determine if a belt is the source of any noise, is to apply just a tiny drop of oil from your dipstick to it while the car is running. If the squeak IMMEDIATELY disappears, it's your belt.
Old 05-23-18, 06:42 PM
JLAWS
Racer

updated post...
Old 05-24-18, 09:30 PM
3GSShoe
Intermediate

Received 73 Likes on 68 Posts

Buy Bando belts and oem tensioners. Bando belts are OEM and the same or cheaper than Dayco. You cannot go wrong with Bando.
The following users liked this post:
JLAWS (05-25-18)
Old 05-25-18, 07:38 AM
JLAWS
Racer

Originally Posted by 3GSShoe
Buy Bando belts and oem tensioners. Bando belts are OEM and the same or cheaper than Dayco. You cannot go wrong with Bando.
Thanks ! I will keep that in mind. So far no chirping at start up. The final test will be when I run it thru a car wash
Old 05-25-18, 08:18 AM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus

Received 89 Likes on 71 Posts

good info!
Old 05-25-18, 12:47 PM
Falbz
Pole Position

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Thanks for clarifying ! Was wondering who oem manufacturer was
Old 05-25-18, 01:23 PM
3GSShoe
Intermediate

Received 73 Likes on 68 Posts

Toyota/Lexus belt Tensioners and pulleys are usually AISIN, NTN, KOYO, and NSK. Sometimes you can get lucky and find them on eBay when the seller doesn’t know that these parts are OEM suppliers.

Most drive belts are made by Bando.

Most timing belt, if any, are from Mitsuboshi

I’ve worked on a number of Toyota/Yamaha engines and you come by the names of these components in almost every Toyota engine.
The following users liked this post:
JLAWS (05-25-18)
Old 11-26-19, 05:02 AM
ChrisDidIt
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JLAWS
UPDATE: OEM is Dayco ! I just replaced the belt tensioner and the old oem one and new one has a Dayco stamp on them! I got a good deal on the "oem" one but could have saved more by just getting a Dayco Tensioner.

I replaced the idler pulley as well. I am nearing 95K miles on my 2008 LS460. I was getting a slight chirp only at cold start up and figured my Dayco premium belt was failing again after 2 months. The noise would go away after 10 seconds so I figured the belt needed to warm up. To my surprise, the belt tensioner was near catastrophic failure!! While trying to loosen the tension on the belt the tensioner was wobbly. When I undid the tensioner (12mm socket and H6 hex socket) The entire unit easily split in half ! (3rd Pic) The bolts were holding it together. Also I was able to twist the tensioner by hand. The new one wouldn't even move.

It is a very easy DIY, I did it on my lunch break, it took 30 minutes, of that 10 minutes looking for my H6 socket btw it is also the size to remove the filler/purge cap on top of the radiator. The bolt weren't too hard to come out. I added a little Locktite one them for extra security.

I recommend changing the tensioner as preventative maintenance especially if you have similar years and miles on your LS460. The only indicator I got was an occasional light chirp at start up & no further noise when warmed up. Finally put some type of cover over that small tube on top of the radiator to prevent damage and a new radiator. The tube is notorious for snapping off if you put weight on them reaching down into the engine bay !

Original Post:

Anyone go with Dayco? Seems to be 1/2 the cost of oem. I recently changed the belt 2 months ago. I see no record of the tensioner changed so I plan to replace it along with the smooth idler pulley where you first disconnect the belt
Getting a tiny squeak but that seems to be after running thru a car wash then letting the car sit for a few days. I probably don't need to change it but might as well do some preventative maintenance for upcoming road trips in late spring.

Thanks
P.S : I will watch out for the fragile radiator tube on the top of the radiator !

How did you remove and replace the tension pulley exactly. I have an 07 ls460 and can’t seem to install. Could you walk me through the steps.