LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Just returned from dealer...something wrong in picture.

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-18, 12:55 PM
Dolph1
Pit Crew

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Just returned from dealer...something wrong in picture.

I have a 13 lwb awd. I purchased it under CPOlate dec17 but it is still under the original 4 year warranty for a few more months before the 24 month CPo warranty starts. Anyway they replaced the clips holding up this trim piece for me as it was loose and some clips were broke. They said it was not covered under warranty but did it anyway for free- I didn’t receive any paperwork. The same trim piece came loose a month ago and they pushed it back in place- no clips replaced then. When I got home I noticed these two white things just below the child tether anchors on the rear shelf- I don’t recall them being visible before- am I paranoid here.

Can someone check to see if theirs are visible before I call the dealer back. By the way my service guy indicated the only difference btw the original 4 year warranty and cpo warranty is that Lexus corporate has to preauthorize work under the cpo warranty and not under the original warranty.
Old 02-16-18, 04:27 PM
Dolph1
Pit Crew

The trim piece that was repaired was the one that has a speaker grill in it.
Old 02-16-18, 06:44 PM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 313 Likes on 272 Posts

Originally Posted by Dolph1
By the way my service guy indicated the only difference btw the original 4 year warranty and cpo warranty is that Lexus corporate has to preauthorize work under the cpo warranty and not under the original warranty.
Actually, he's mistaken. Lexus may require preauthorization of many repairs under the original warranty and may not require preauthorization under the CPO warranty. There are many other differences between the original 4/50 warranty and the CPO/ExtraCare warranty. Most of them relate to wear and cosmetic items, interior trim, bodywork, exterior trim and TSBs. Check out the CPO warranty description and make sure you get anything wrong with the car fixed or at least documented before the original warranty runs out.
Old 02-16-18, 06:56 PM
FatherTo1
Racer

Received 114 Likes on 94 Posts

Not sure if I caught it at the proper angle but I don't see any tags. Hope that helps.
Old 02-17-18, 03:01 AM
comotiger
Pole Position

Received 295 Likes on 253 Posts

Agree with Fto1. I checked but couldn't see any white patch around that trim panel. I think your shop didn't install the section properly. Should be an easy fix.
Old 02-17-18, 03:22 AM
Dolph1
Pit Crew

Really no surprise to me I was misinformed about the warranty differences that is why I posted that here as this group is more knowledgable than the average service advisor in many instances. I still have disbelief fixing the interior trim piece would not be covered under the original warranty -seems like a slam dunk to me. The white things in my picture are medal and you can see them when you look in the back window. This Lexus dealer is in the NY tristate area and I do wonder if they intentionally avoided submitting a legit warranty claim - I’m speculating now- maybe corporate Lexus have them under heightened supervision for submitting above average warranty claims in the past so they are managing the numbers. It just seems like such an obvious warranty claim why wouldn’t they not want reimbursement from corporate. I have the sunroof rubber gasket deteriation that many others have reported with these cars- based on what I read here people have said these should absolutely be replaced under original warranty but not under cpo, unless leaking. I am going to bring the car back in so they can fix the trim pieces that now has a gap - at that time I will ask him to replace the sunroof under the original warranty. If he refuses I think I may look for another dealer.
Old 02-17-18, 06:31 AM
LR3vsLS
Rookie

Originally Posted by sktn77a
Actually, he's mistaken. Lexus may require preauthorization of many repairs under the original warranty and may not require preauthorization under the CPO warranty. There are many other differences between the original 4/50 warranty and the CPO/ExtraCare warranty. Most of them relate to wear and cosmetic items, interior trim, bodywork, exterior trim and TSBs. Check out the CPO warranty description and make sure you get anything wrong with the car fixed or at least documented before the original warranty runs out.
Actually, you're mistaken. In general and to the public the difference is just that, a pre-authorization for ANY repairs under CPO. Sure there can be some cosmetic item differences but, the CPO warranty is very comprehensive. There is no difference in relation to TSB's. Documenting issues prior to warranty expiration does not guarantee repairs once the warranty runs out, once it is expired...it is expired.

Really no surprise to me I was misinformed about the warranty differences that is why I posted that here as this group is more knowledgable than the average service advisor in many instances. I still have disbelief fixing the interior trim piece would not be covered under the original warranty -seems like a slam dunk to me. The white things in my picture are medal and you can see them when you look in the back window. This Lexus dealer is in the NY tristate area and I do wonder if they intentionally avoided submitting a legit warranty claim - I’m speculating now- maybe corporate Lexus have them under heightened supervision for submitting above average warranty claims in the past so they are managing the numbers. It just seems like such an obvious warranty claim why wouldn’t they not want reimbursement from corporate. I have the sunroof rubber gasket deteriation that many others have reported with these cars- based on what I read here people have said these should absolutely be replaced under original warranty but not under cpo, unless leaking. I am going to bring the car back in so they can fix the trim pieces that now has a gap - at that time I will ask him to replace the sunroof under the original warranty. If he refuses I think I may look for another dealer.
It doesn't sound like you were misinformed. You were given a blanket statement, which for the most part is true.
While there may be people on here that have more knowledge then your "average" service advisor, there are plenty others that have NOT. Take the interwebs with a grain salt.
I think you're blowing this out of proportion, take the car back to the dealer and show them your concern. If you're not happy with the outcome, see the service manager.
Speculating on whether or not the dealer is under heightened supervision? Really? Don't over-google yourself out of getting help.
A dealer gets paid to repair your vehicle under warranty and will do so if a repair is both necessary and covered.
As far as your sunroof gasket...if it is defective it should be replaced. Your perception of it "failing" doesn't mean that it is actually failing, the dealer technician should be able to see if it is in fact failing.
Not happy with your dealer? Luckily, there are many dealers to chose from.
Old 02-23-18, 07:23 PM
Dolph1
Pit Crew

Thank you fatherti1and comitiger. I went to the dealer yesterday and they confirmed that the space should not be there. They had to pull the backseat to get to some medal clips that were bent to bend them back. This was all coverered under warranty as I expected. I am a little turned off by the dealer though, as at my first visit I was told the repair was not covered under warranty but not to worry they would take care of it. After seeing their so called goodwill repair on the Lexus drivers site earlier this week I decided to ask for the paperwork from the first visit. He acted surprised he didn’t give it to me. It was clearly marked warranty so not sure why they felt necessary to mislead me. The other thing I noticed regarding my first visit was that I asked for an opinion on whether it was safe for me to drive with a scratch I pointed out in the windshield. I should have noticed the scratch when I purchased the vehicle a few months ago but I missed it, so my bad. I know the scratch could not have occcurred since I owned the car since I had never used the wipers and the scratch follows the trajectory of the driver side wiper, almost looking like the prior owner got a rock stuck in the wiper. I even told the gentleman the scratch was there when I bought the car but what I really wanted to know was whether this was a safety concern. He told me I could put it through my car insurance if it bothers me-not very helpfull!The bill from my visit indicated I asked about a streak being left behind by my wipers. I’m Surprised it passed the cpo inspection with the scratch-your finger nail can get caught on it- but even if it shouldn’t have passed, it is impossible to prove it was there when I purchased the car. There are other small things that happened- I mentioned there is a noise from the brakes when I inch up at a red light for instance and if he could have a tech take a look-he said completely normal for the car not to worry about it so a tech never did take a look at it. It could be the actuator from what I read on this forum. I also mentioned I had a brand new key for the car and asked how much it was to program - after a slight hesitation I was told 160 which is just over the top based on what I read on other posts about the costs. I don’t think I am over-reacting in being turned off by the dealer based on these experiences. Luckily there are other Lexus dealers in the NY metro area.
Old 02-28-18, 07:56 AM
LR3vsLS
Rookie

Thank you fatherti1and comitiger. I went to the dealer yesterday and they confirmed that the space should not be there. They had to pull the backseat to get to some medal clips that were bent to bend them back. This was all coverered under warranty as I expected. I am a little turned off by the dealer though, as at my first visit I was told the repair was not covered under warranty but not to worry they would take care of it. After seeing their so called goodwill repair on the Lexus drivers site earlier this week I decided to ask for the paperwork from the first visit. He acted surprised he didn’t give it to me. It was clearly marked warranty so not sure why they felt necessary to mislead me. The other thing I noticed regarding my first visit was that I asked for an opinion on whether it was safe for me to drive with a scratch I pointed out in the windshield. I should have noticed the scratch when I purchased the vehicle a few months ago but I missed it, so my bad. I know the scratch could not have occcurred since I owned the car since I had never used the wipers and the scratch follows the trajectory of the driver side wiper, almost looking like the prior owner got a rock stuck in the wiper. I even told the gentleman the scratch was there when I bought the car but what I really wanted to know was whether this was a safety concern. He told me I could put it through my car insurance if it bothers me-not very helpfull!The bill from my visit indicated I asked about a streak being left behind by my wipers. I’m Surprised it passed the cpo inspection with the scratch-your finger nail can get caught on it- but even if it shouldn’t have passed, it is impossible to prove it was there when I purchased the car. There are other small things that happened- I mentioned there is a noise from the brakes when I inch up at a red light for instance and if he could have a tech take a look-he said completely normal for the car not to worry about it so a tech never did take a look at it. It could be the actuator from what I read on this forum. I also mentioned I had a brand new key for the car and asked how much it was to program - after a slight hesitation I was told 160 which is just over the top based on what I read on other posts about the costs. I don’t think I am over-reacting in being turned off by the dealer based on these experiences. Luckily there are other Lexus dealers in the NY metro area.
To preface my reply: I have no interest in either party nor am I in any way involved.

Yep, blame the dealer for your lack of attention to detail at time of purchase...and your inability to prove that it wasn't in fact during your ownership.
What kind of noise from the brakes? Could be normal... If a tech heard an abnormal noise they would inform you of it, without your prompting them. Actuator? Based on internet posts?
So you bought (I'm assuming) a key elsewhere and want the dealer to program it for...a reasonable rate based on internet posts?
You are certainly over-reacting in being turned off by the dealer based on your completely unreasonable expectations considering that YOU yourself admit to have the short coming.
Luckily for you and the dealer there are other dealers in the NY metro area.