LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Wind noise, not closing all the way

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-18, 07:48 AM
rvgraham
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Wind noise, not closing all the way

So, I have the dreaded wind noise problem. However, in my case, I have determined that it isn't coming from the front corner triangle. It's happening because the window isn't closing tightly in the seal. Also, it appears to be tilted (in its plane) slightly forward.

I determined this by holding the door open, pressing the window switch to initiate auto-close, then "helping" the window by grasping the glass from both inside and outside and giving it extra force to close all the way. If I do this straight up, the wind noise is slightly diminished on the following test drive. If I help it up and to the rear, the wind noise is completely GONE on the following test drive.

I tried spraying some silicone lubricant into the window seal, to see if it was just a question of getting slightly stuck in the old dry rubber, but that helped almost not at all.

Now I'm left to determine: Is it the that the track needs positional adjusting? Or is there a stop point in the power window actuation that isn't set far enough up? Or has the "slow down just before you finish closing" feature become maladjusted?

Standard disclaimer: Yes I searched the forum, both from Google and from the search tool here. And yes, I'm terrified of going to the stealership and having them try to sell me an entire freaking DOOR to fix the problem.

Any experienced advice greatly appreciated!
Old 02-21-18, 07:59 AM
Dave144239
Instructor

Received 214 Likes on 162 Posts

Check this thread - https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...-down-fix.html

I just replaced the triangles myself, but I haven't had the chance to get over 50 mph since I did that, so I can't tell whether it helped or not at this point.

If I think I still have wind noise, I might try the fix in that thread next.
Old 02-21-18, 11:28 AM
rvgraham
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I read the post on playing with the inside window trim. I will look into that. Not sure what the author means by "bump down." As in bump the glass in a downward direction with the palm of your hand?

I will go out to my car momentarily to see if there's a significant gap on the inside of the window.

I really hate the fact that I'm quite certain that, if I take it to the dealer, they are going to attempt to sell me a $1,500 fix including ridiculous things like replacement glass etc. Do they even begin to grasp the meaning of the word "service?"

Just moved to St. Augustine Florida. Does anybody have experience with the local Lexus dealers? Or the Toyota dealer right here in St. Aug?

Thanks, Bob Graham
Old 02-21-18, 11:35 AM
Spudo769
Pit Crew

Received 52 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by rvgraham
I read the post on playing with the inside window trim. I will look into that. Not sure what the author means by "bump down." As in bump the glass in a downward direction with the palm of your hand?

I will go out to my car momentarily to see if there's a significant gap on the inside of the window.

I really hate the fact that I'm quite certain that, if I take it to the dealer, they are going to attempt to sell me a $1,500 fix including ridiculous things like replacement glass etc. Do they even begin to grasp the meaning of the word "service?"

Just moved to St. Augustine Florida. Does anybody have experience with the local Lexus dealers? Or the Toyota dealer right here in St. Aug?

Thanks, Bob Graham
Bump down in that context is slighly lowering the window with the switch.
Old 02-21-18, 05:17 PM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 317 Likes on 275 Posts

When the window is all the way up, "tap" the down button momentarily just to take the pressure off the glass/track. That stops a lot of wind noise on the older cars.
Old 02-21-18, 06:05 PM
johnnyg66
Racer

Received 152 Likes on 130 Posts

Yes it does. Bending the top of the inside door frame has till worked for me.