LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Air Suspension to Coilovers

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-18, 04:45 AM
Slickie
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Air Suspension to Coilovers

I see a number of members have changed their suspension from Air to Coil overs to avoid repair costs on future air shock failure. I have not seen definitive discussions on how Coilovers changed the ride and specifically how it was done. I am in the process of purchasing a 2008 460L with air and would consider a change to coils if Air becomes problematic. If I missed the mother thread on this, give me a vector to it. Or, if you can provide your experiences, I appreciate it. TIA.
Old 03-01-18, 10:09 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Your not alone, Air Suspension to Coilover and replacing Upper Control arms are one of the more common issues, things to look out for, and if you get it done at the dealership most expensive issues with the LS460 yet there does not seem to be any DIY's on either of them, none that I have seen after searching.
Old 03-01-18, 11:42 AM
Slickie
Driver School Candidate

UDel, As much bashing as the Air Suspension seems to take, one would think a DIY would be a good idea. Maybe just too hard ?
Old 03-01-18, 12:19 PM
213374U
Lexus Test Driver

Received 138 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by Slickie
Maybe just too hard ?
Not quite. It's that the target consumer for a new LS460 is going to take it to the dealer for every repair. Dealers do not want easy to follow DIYs floating around out there because it pulls business away.

Just now are these cars finding their ways into the hands of DIYers so the how-to's are coming slowly.
Old 03-01-18, 04:11 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by Slickie
UDel, As much bashing as the Air Suspension seems to take, one would think a DIY would be a good idea. Maybe just too hard ?
You would think, also with all the issues with control arms people have with them you would think there would be a good DIY by now. I don't think it is too hard, I have read a couple people doing it or having it done, I just would want to see a DIY for the LS460 just in case there is anything unique to the LS with both issues.
Old 03-01-18, 06:08 PM
Luscombe8A
Pit Crew

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

This is a great thread. I too am in the market for an LS460 and was concerned about the air shocks replacement. I searched and read the threads about the comparisons but never did find a DIY on the coil over replacement. There were a few about air systems to lower the ride but no DIY details. A lot of the air shock discussion I found was either anecdotal or about lowering the car with sophisticated and expensive systems. Not much specifics about coil over replacement in one thread. It would be great to have a mother thread with a DIY replacement and discussion.

From what I read, one of the concerns involves the error code that is generated and the need to isolate that by pulling the fuse as that code issue can affect other things.

At this point, I am not eliminating the air ride option from my search, in fact I like the Sport options, and would take the challenge of a DIY replacement if the right vehicle came a long. One of the concerns I have has to do with sourcing the air shocks. I have seen references to after market air shock replacements but only for the front. Not sure they exist for the rear or if you have to get them from the Lexus Dealer. I am referring to the RWD here as I have not seen any aftermarket shocks for the AWD.That said, I have not been on this forum very long.

Thanks for starting this thread.
The following users liked this post:
HeavyHandz (05-15-18)
Old 03-02-18, 10:33 AM
02gita
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am sure if you talk to a local performance shop / suspension shop they might have insight on how to go about it. if not contact a top coilover company and see if they have bult any custom systems for LS460- ( BC, KW. Fortune auto). by now i have come to understand that the air shock system is not something to be afraid of. do reasearch and fine the appropriate vehicle that has all the service records you are looking for. there is also an option to get extended warranties. a lot of it has been discussed already.

i will be looking for a 2010-12 sport model with low miles and plenty of service records and i am willing to pay what its worth.
having owned a is300 and GS300, control arms are a piece of cake.
Old 03-05-18, 04:33 AM
Slickie
Driver School Candidate

I just picked up a 2008 with extensive service records on lexus drivers website. It was in such incredible shape, I was urged smartly by some mysterious force(wife) to buy it. Anyway, it has air suspension and I am just now beginning to research the complexity of the system and options for repairs as needed. I am not interested in other than maintaining the factory LS ride, so the threads on modding to the high tech air systems, although very interesting, won't be where I will go. Moving from a long, long time ES300 which has been impossible to kill over the years to the LS is an amazing transition. These are cars that will take DIY to another level of fun.