LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Ride quality/harshness issues - non-air

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-18, 05:09 PM
zracer31
Driver School Candidate

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Ride quality/harshness issues - non-air

Looking for some feedback from some of the long time owners of non-air suspension models to chime in. I've had my 08L (97K miles) for two years now and have yet to experience this "smooth/fantastic compliant" ride I seem to read so much about ( I have the 18" factory rims).
The ride quality I have always experienced seems very harsh when going over mild to moderate pavement imperfections and transmits a lot of impact into the car. I use a digital tire gauge and run between 30 - 32 psi. Over smooth pavement the ride is decent and compliant with very little harshness being transmitted into the chassis. Car still has the original shocks, but I replaced ALL front bushings about 15K miles ago (yes, bolts were tightened down once weight was on suspension). There is NO bouncy, bouncy feeling and when doing the old push down test on the corners of the car - just back up and dead stop. Last month when I rotated the tires I inspected all ball joints, sway bar end links finding all tight/perfect. I currently have Michelin Pilot MXM4 tires all the way around. The fronts are just a hair above the wear bar indicators and the rears have about 4/32" left. The tires have been on the car for close to 6 years, so I know they have been through a bunch of hot/cold cycles - which I believes changes the physical properties of the rubber itself.

So.......Is my rough ride simply a result of tires near the end of their life cycle? Has anyone else personally ran these tires with similiar results? I am planning on replacing all tires within the next month or so with Pirelli P7 Cinturato All Season Plus tires. Shoot, I rode in my buddies (don't laugh too hard) 1991 Oldsmobile Regency Elite and that car with 175K miles rides WAY, WAY better over the same exact roads I have experience with - It literally floats over with nothing coming through the chassis - makes me jealous of his $1,500 hoopty. A flagship Lexus should have a much better ride - or al least as smooth as 27 year old Oldsmobile!

Thoughts?
Advice?
Experience?

Last edited by zracer31; 03-02-18 at 05:12 PM.
Old 03-02-18, 05:42 PM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 320 Likes on 278 Posts

Well, a '91 Olds is going to float and sway and dive and wiggle. If that's what you want......... The LS, like most modern luxury cars, has a more sporty ride dialed in. Not trying to defend it, just different. Try the new Pirellis - they may improve things slightly but do't get your expectations up too high. If you still aren't happy with the ride, go to your nearest Lexus dealer and take a test drive in a 3 year old CPO LS460. It should ride pretty much the same as your '08. If it is much better then you may need to consider replacing your shocks. Harsh ride can be due to too soft (worn) shocks as well as too stiff shocks. Remember, "shocks" are not shock absorbers (that's what the springs are for), they are dampers.
Old 03-02-18, 06:07 PM
JLAWS
Racer

Received 214 Likes on 163 Posts

"Car still has the original shocks,"

This is your problem. 18 inch tires are very thick. I can run over almost any pothole with them. I have 19 inch tires now and the ride is a little more firm but that is the trade off for stability and looks.
Get a set of KYB struts all around. The original old ones are not reacting fast enough over bumps. Made a big difference for me at 92K miles. I only changed the fronts. The backs are still strong. With new struts installed you will barely be able to bounce the car up and down by hand.
Old 03-02-18, 06:11 PM
tofuprod
Instructor

Received 270 Likes on 203 Posts

Originally Posted by sktn77a
Well, a '91 Olds is going to float and sway and dive and wiggle. If that's what you want......... The LS, like most modern luxury cars, has a more sporty ride dialed in. Not trying to defend it, just different. Try the new Pirellis - they may improve things slightly but do't get your expectations up too high. If you still aren't happy with the ride, go to your nearest Lexus dealer and take a test drive in a 3 year old CPO LS460. It should ride pretty much the same as your '08. If it is much better then you may need to consider replacing your shocks. Harsh ride can be due to too soft (worn) shocks as well as too stiff shocks. Remember, "shocks" are not shock absorbers (that's what the springs are for), they are dampers.
Very well said and I can attest to what you wrote here. I used to have a 95 Delta 88, and man that thing was like a boat..
The LS still has a quality ride feel, even without the air suspension, and my RWB I feel still has some refinement that takes some getting used to.
Old 03-03-18, 02:06 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,749 Likes on 1,966 Posts

As others have said, it’s not a floaty boaty ride. Something like that Oldsmobile is going to ride differently. Is it better? Perhaps in some situations but go into a turn with that Oldsmobile and then with the Lexus lol. Modern cars just don’t have suspensions like that anymore and there are reasons they don’t.

The way I describe it is “you can feel what is going on with the road surface, but nothing that you run over ever bothers you”. On the highway it kind of has a “hovercraft” feel where it kind of just slides along the ground. That feel is more present with the air suspension but it’s also there in the coil spring car.

The Pirellis will help, and they need about 1000 miles to break in and ride their best. Air them about the same as your current tires. As others have said it might need new struts...

Ive driven everything remotely comparable, S Class, 7 Series, Lincolns, Genesis G90, on and on, the LS460 rides as well as any of them. If yours feels “harsh” somethings not right.

Last edited by SW17LS; 03-03-18 at 02:09 AM.
Old 03-03-18, 05:14 AM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Received 355 Likes on 245 Posts

Originally Posted by sktn77a
Youre probably right, I too am experiencing what the OP is and it probably does have a lot to do with the shocks. I purchased the car with 70,000 miles on it four years ago. I now have 173,000, no change for better or worse. But I may change the shocks out with KYB's...170k is a lot of miles for struts.
Old 03-03-18, 09:33 AM
fb182
Rookie

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by zracer31
Looking for some feedback from some of the long time owners of non-air suspension models to chime in. I've had my 08L (97K miles) for two years now and have yet to experience this "smooth/fantastic compliant" ride I seem to read so much about ( I have the 18" factory rims).
The ride quality I have always experienced seems very harsh when going over mild to moderate pavement imperfections and transmits a lot of impact into the car. I use a digital tire gauge and run between 30 - 32 psi. Over smooth pavement the ride is decent and compliant with very little harshness being transmitted into the chassis. Car still has the original shocks, but I replaced ALL front bushings about 15K miles ago (yes, bolts were tightened down once weight was on suspension). There is NO bouncy, bouncy feeling and when doing the old push down test on the corners of the car - just back up and dead stop. Last month when I rotated the tires I inspected all ball joints, sway bar end links finding all tight/perfect. I currently have Michelin Pilot MXM4 tires all the way around. The fronts are just a hair above the wear bar indicators and the rears have about 4/32" left. The tires have been on the car for close to 6 years, so I know they have been through a bunch of hot/cold cycles - which I believes changes the physical properties of the rubber itself.

So.......Is my rough ride simply a result of tires near the end of their life cycle?
Has anyone else personally ran these tires with similiar results? I am planning on replacing all tires within the next month or so with Pirelli P7 Cinturato All Season Plus tires. Shoot, I rode in my buddies (don't laugh too hard) 1991 Oldsmobile Regency Elite and that car with 175K miles rides WAY, WAY better over the same exact roads I have experience with - It literally floats over with nothing coming through the chassis - makes me jealous of his $1,500 hoopty. A flagship Lexus should have a much better ride - or al least as smooth as 27 year old Oldsmobile!

Thoughts?
Advice?
Experience?
Non-air suspension crew checking in.

Lack of rubber on old tires will definitely increase NVH. I got new winters a little while back and the difference was night and day. Rides butter smooth now.

Sounds like you already found the solution to your problem
Old 03-03-18, 09:51 AM
LS430FL
Instructor

Received 91 Likes on 77 Posts

Have you checked your tire pressure. My dealer always puts mine way too higher. door usually calls for around 33 and I always find they put it up to 40 sometimes! Pisses me off. I lower it down to 32-32 and I get back my nice ride. Of course it doesn't have that floaty old car feel like others say but I ride around in other modern cars and then get back in my LS and its a magic carpet!