LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Sunroof misbehaved this morning

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-18, 09:59 AM
mckellyb
Lexus Test Driver

Received 147 Likes on 109 Posts
Default Sunroof misbehaved this morning

So, I'm in the garage at home, open the garage door, and oh, the door seems louder than it should. Maybe I didn't close the rear windows all the way...

<checks windows>

Okay, well, um...sunroof not closed 100%, then. I had it open on the way home last night, y'never know.

I open it, and it stops about halfway. Hmph, that's odd. Pushing the button for 'open' moves it another few inches, and it stops.

I decide to close it, and this is where it gets weird. As it's closing, it stops, but after I restart the close, it appears to get off-track, or slightly crooked, and while it'll close, it won't seal, so there's very obvious wind noise.

As a bonus, it's supposed to rain all day, and my car sits outside for 14 hours on each day of what is most folks' weekend.

Helping it with my fingers got it closed and sealed, but I hope I'm not in for something catastrophically unpleasant. Anyone else been in this situation?
Old 03-04-18, 01:34 PM
LS2k
Intermediate

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

There is a way to reset the sun roof please search one of my previous post someone provided me with the sequence to do it.
Old 03-04-18, 02:57 PM
Nospinzone

Received 422 Likes on 326 Posts

Temporarily what you can try is to help the sunroof close by using your fingers pressed against the glass and pushing it to close. I haven't had this with my Lexus, but at one time that's what we had to do with my wife's Jaguar. As suddenly as it started it stopped. I hope the same happens for you.
Old 03-04-18, 05:35 PM
DJWLDW
Pole Position

Received 463 Likes on 345 Posts

Kelly B
Sorry no help I have never opened up the sunroof on my LS. If that was an item that could be deleted on an order sheet I would. Never been a fan of sunroofs. I never could understand why you would want to cut a big *** hole in your roof. I searched and searched for my 90 Ford BII without a roof rack. I always look at it like the fewer holes in the skin the better.

Dennis
Old 03-05-18, 05:54 AM
mckellyb
Lexus Test Driver

LS2k, thanks, found it!

Nospinzone, yeah, I had a couple of Mercedes, a W126 and W124, which both, eventually, needed aid to open/close, which cracked people up when they'd ride with me, but my Mercedes were, at 20 years old, nicer than their two year old Civic.

DJWLDW, I'm the exact opposite, and after not having A/C, or any creature comforts, in any vehicle from birth until I was about 20 years old, I like moonroofs (along with power steering, power windows, power brakes, an automatic transmission, things which work, et cetera). It's a great alternative to having windows down if the temps, for me, are between 45F and 68F.
Old 03-05-18, 11:33 AM
PwrdbyM
Driver

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

Sunroofs can catch a lot of debris. You might open it all the way, clean the tracks well and then spray some lubrication in there, such as liquid silicone. Cover your interior with a drop cloth because crap will rain down.
The following users liked this post:
mckellyb (03-05-18)
Old 03-06-18, 07:33 PM
LS2k
Intermediate

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by mckellyb
LS2k, thanks, found it!

Nospinzone, yeah, I had a couple of Mercedes, a W126 and W124, which both, eventually, needed aid to open/close, which cracked people up when they'd ride with me, but my Mercedes were, at 20 years old, nicer than their two year old Civic.

DJWLDW, I'm the exact opposite, and after not having A/C, or any creature comforts, in any vehicle from birth until I was about 20 years old, I like moonroofs (along with power steering, power windows, power brakes, an automatic transmission, things which work, et cetera). It's a great alternative to having windows down if the temps, for me, are between 45F and 68F.
great hope it will help resolving your issue like it did for me.
Old 03-15-18, 08:50 AM
mckellyb
Lexus Test Driver

Well, that's not it. Good to know, however, because I think it'll need to be done when I finally do get it working properly.

It's as if one side isn't pulling/pushing. I cleaned the rails then carefully put some silicone grease in the track. Tried to open/close, had to help it significantly to prevent getting stuck. I can see the right side also lags on the tilt-up function. Eventually, I got it closed and 'sealed', but it took some doing.

Also put a bit of silicone grease on the roof where the gasket touches and on said gasket. This is a weatherstripping grease from Honda which is supposed to be the best in the known universe.

It's easier to open/close, but yeah, there's now a ratcheting sound, which is never good. It was a challenge to get it to be flush with the roof, and I wasn't panicked, yet, but I could see it turning bad.

Could be a track is messed up...I'm not happy about this.