LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Console phone wireless charger mod

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-18, 08:13 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,730 Likes on 1,956 Posts
Thumbs up Console phone wireless charger mod

Ever since I got my iPhone X and discovered the joys of wireless chargers I've thought about doing this.

I've had a couple of goals lately when it comes to dealing with my phone in the car. One is the desire not to have an ugly charger cord hanging out of the console. Two is to find a way to discourage myself from texting and responding to emails when driving in an effort to stay alive. This mod solves both issues.

The charging pad works great. It has a very heavy base and its very rigid, its 3 coil so you don't have to be too precise where you lay the phone on the charger. Charges nice and quick too. The pad is like its made for the tray, it fits great. Nice and rubbery too so the phone doesn't slide around, and theres room next to it for some pens, etc as you see in the picture. Right now I just have the cord running through the cord slits into an adapter in the 12V outlet (the USB ports charge very slowly), but eventually I may dremel a hole in the back of that tray and turn the charger around to make it look more factory.

I can listen to incoming texts via the car's Bluetooth messaging function, and respond via Siri Eyes Free, works really well.

If you'd like to do this also, this is what you need:

1. The wireless charging pad:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B078JLXY8C/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B078JLXY8C/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

2. A 90 degree micro USB cable (the provided cable will not work unless you dremel out a hole in the tray:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N52OUPD/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N52OUPD/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

3. A 12V USB adapter (make sure you get one that supplies high speed 2.4A charging. This one is 2 USB and I left the cord I had before there for others in the car to use):
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00VH84L5E/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00VH84L5E/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Total cost of this mod is about $60 shipped (the charger base isn't Amazon Prime), well worth it IMHO.

Last edited by SW17LS; 03-16-18 at 08:17 PM.
Old 03-16-18, 08:51 PM
Scrutator
Pole Position

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

Nice set-up. Just be aware that wireless charging will shorten your battery life compared to a plug-in charger.
Old 03-16-18, 09:00 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Scrutator
Nice set-up. Just be aware that wireless charging will shorten your battery life compared to a plug-in charger.
Eh, I got a new phone every year so no biggie.
Old 03-16-18, 11:01 PM
k311in
Pit Crew

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

Never heard of that before
Old 03-17-18, 04:58 AM
comotiger
Pole Position

Received 295 Likes on 253 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Ever since I got my iPhone X and discovered the joys of wireless chargers I've thought about doing this.

I've had a couple of goals lately when it comes to dealing with my phone in the car. One is the desire not to have an ugly charger cord hanging out of the console. Two is to find a way to discourage myself from texting and responding to emails when driving in an effort to stay alive. This mod solves both issues.

I can listen to incoming texts via the car's Bluetooth messaging function, and respond via Siri Eyes Free, works really well.
Hi Steve,
Nice set up! Can you please post a tutorial on how to use the iPhone's hands-free features with the 2013+ cars? I am embarrassed to admit that I barely know how to use Siri for anything, so to use Siri with the Messages and other apps is completely beyond my current skills Thanks a lot!
Old 03-17-18, 09:12 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by comotiger
Hi Steve,
Nice set up! Can you please post a tutorial on how to use the iPhone's hands-free features with the 2013+ cars? I am embarrassed to admit that I barely know how to use Siri for anything, so to use Siri with the Messages and other apps is completely beyond my current skills Thanks a lot!
So first thing you need to do is turn "Show Notifications" ON in the settings for Bluetooth on your iPhone. Select the "Lexus LS" BT profile and make sure that is turned on. This will throw a message up on the screen and play a chime when you get a text, when stopped it will display the text, when moving it will read it to you. To respond you hold down the phone pickup button until Siri comes on, and you say "Send a text to Sally" or "Respond to Sally" and Siri will prompt you, you read in the text, she will read it back to you and ask if you want her to send it. Works great.
Old 03-17-18, 11:17 AM
Scrutator
Pole Position

Here's an article on the subject of wireless charging shortening battery life: http://www.zdnet.com/article/iphone-...cable-charging
Old 03-17-18, 11:28 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

In driving around today using it I found the phone doesn't catch and charge as "everywhere" on the mat as was advertised, I'll keep an eye on it over the next few days and I may ask the manufacturer to send me a replacement thinking one of the coils may not be working. Lookin around, nobody else makes a wireless charging mat like this so its definitely the best product for this application
Old 03-17-18, 07:36 PM
Mbbarron
Intermediate

Received 43 Likes on 36 Posts

Love this mod and may do this myself eventually. Keep us informed as to the reliability of the charging pad and how it works out for you. Thanks!
Old 03-18-18, 09:55 AM
213374U
Lexus Test Driver

Received 138 Likes on 119 Posts

Cool mod, but I need it in the cradle for Waze. If I can get cast capabilities to the factory nav unit this would be awesome!
Old 03-20-18, 11:41 AM
bigsherv
Intermediate

Received 42 Likes on 26 Posts

I think the Cadillac CTS has this kind of bad built into the center console. I thought that was a neat feature.
Old 03-20-18, 01:57 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

So far it has been working great!
Old 03-21-18, 02:51 PM
DavidinCT
Racer

Received 200 Likes on 148 Posts

LOL, not sure where you heard that. I've been using Wireless QI charging from Windows Phone 7 days (7-8 years now) on every phone, I use it every night and never a problem.

Not sure I would hide my phone, as I leave it in the cup holders (got a perfect fit for my note 8) and I leave Waze on when I drive to work...saved me many tickets but, cant use wireless charging there.
Old 03-21-18, 03:23 PM
Scrutator
Pole Position

Originally Posted by DavidinCT
LOL, not sure where you heard that. I've been using Wireless QI charging from Windows Phone 7 days (7-8 years now) on every phone, I use it every night and never a problem.

Not sure I would hide my phone, as I leave it in the cup holders (got a perfect fit for my note 8) and I leave Waze on when I drive to work...saved me many tickets but, cant use wireless charging there.
Link provided. See Post #7.
Old 03-23-18, 11:20 AM
DavidinCT
Racer

Received 200 Likes on 148 Posts

Link provided. See Post #7.
LOL... You can have the SAME exact issue, if you Plug in your phone every time your not using it. For people who use their phone and drop it right back on the changer so it's always at 100%, you will have this issue. No matter if it's a cable or or wireless charger.

Fake news.. LOL

AGAIN, had wireless charging for many years... through 5-6 phones, no difference in a wire or wireless charging

Quick Reply: Console phone wireless charger mod