LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

2010 LS AWD SWB: Need help finding replacement struts (air to non-air)

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-18, 12:04 PM
vmdw1980
Driver School Candidate

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Default 2010 LS AWD SWB: 4/6 FOUND replacement struts (air to non-air with Strutmasters)

4/10/18 Update: Took it to Woodfield Lexus in Illinois, the service team hooked me up and got this fixed by rewiring the height sensors and replacing the ECU to a non-air setup. No warning lights, and I still have full functionality of the AFL. Total cost was $498; another expense I didn't want or expect, but at the end worth it in my opinion. So, the Strutmasters kit cost me $700, another $498 for this. Luckily I didn't need to pay labor for the strut install since the dealer that sold me the car covered it.

Overall, I do recommend the Strutmasters kit as it does provide a nice ride. A bit stiffer than air, but still smooth as expected from a full size lux sedan. Granted, be aware of the AFL / ECU sensor replacement if you want to avoid any dash light warnings.

Here is the link to the Strutmasters conversion kit: https://www.strutmasters.com/product...kit-ls-460-4w/

UPDATE 4/6: So I just got the car back, drove about 35 minutes back home. The strutmasters kit is pretty nice. Obviously firmer than air but still a very comfortable and smooth ride. However, there's a BIG issue that I was told would not be, and that's dashboard lights. Before I ordered the kit I specifically asked if there would be any lights on the dash and was told no. With the kit installed, I'm getting a Check AFS message in the center along with a VERY ANNOYING and blinking AFS OFF light! The mechanic called their support line and was told that they are "working on a fix" to this as it only applies to my particular model with this feature. So, if I had to rate Strutmasters: Ride 8/10, services 2/10 since I felt that I was misinformed.

Pics of ride height with the strutmasters kit installed
front driver side

rear driver side

I'm a long time lurker here that needs some help. I have a 2010 LS 460 SWB AWD that has the dreaded failing rear air struts, so I'm looking for an alternative to the suncore kits. Does anyone here know what other parts I can find online that would work?<br />Also, what other parts would i need if its not a "all-in-one" conversion kit that would be required in order to get the replacement coils to fit? Part numbers, names, site links, anything would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited by vmdw1980; 04-10-18 at 10:15 AM. Reason: update on status
The following 2 users liked this post by vmdw1980:
213374U (04-06-18), HeavyHandz (05-15-18)
Old 03-23-18, 12:44 PM
213374U
Lexus Test Driver

Received 138 Likes on 119 Posts

One other user here has started to source the parts for an OEM conversion, but I believe he is holding off the install until his air susp starts acting up. I'm waiting to see his writeup as well.
Old 03-24-18, 09:14 PM
vmdw1980
Driver School Candidate

Well, I went ahead and ordered the strutmasters kit (https://www.strutmasters.com/product...kit-ls-460-4w/). I called their sales department and asked a ton of questions, they were very helpful, and it seems like a legit shop, unlike suncore which I couldn't reach anyone. I have a mechanic installing the kit for me, so I'll provide an update and picture of the ride height. Stay tuned!
Old 03-25-18, 08:28 AM
213374U
Lexus Test Driver

You may want to verify with them that the front struts are compatible with AWD, they are different from the front struts on the RWD models and I've yet to come across aftermarket anything for front AWD suspension.

If they work, then I'm really interested!
Old 03-25-18, 11:29 AM
vmdw1980
Driver School Candidate

I asked the sales rep and he did state they are compatible. However, I will call their technical department tomorrow to confirm this through them as well.

EDIT: The paragraph below was taken from the website's product page for this specific kit:Why Choose Strutmasters Instead Of Those Other Guys

The 2007 to 2012 Lexus LS460 all-wheel drive models were equipped with one of the most sophisticated and expensive air suspension systems on the market. The air suspension system, better known as the Adaptive Variable Suspension (AVS), has hundreds of electronically-controlled sensors, parts and components that must work in perfect synchronization to deliver the proper ride quality. Eventually, the factory air system begins to break down due to exposure to the elements and normal wear and tear. When one of the major components (such as an air strut or compressor) go down, several more are right behind it. For the best chance of a successful repair, experienced technicians recommend replacing ALL of the major components in the system. This complete overhaul can run in the $7000 to $9000 range with parts and labor. Strutmasters has developed a cost-effective alternative, the four-wheel Lexus LS 460 suspension conversion kit. The conversion kit uses passive (non-electronic) coil-over-struts that simply bolt right into place of the factory units.

Last edited by vmdw1980; 03-25-18 at 03:04 PM.
The following users liked this post:
HeavyHandz (05-15-18)
Old 03-25-18, 03:24 PM
213374U
Lexus Test Driver

Awesome! Definitely curious to see how these work out for you then, might have to grab a set just to sit on until mine starts having issues.
Old 03-25-18, 04:25 PM
mbarron37
Advanced

Received 76 Likes on 58 Posts

I am definitely interested to see how this turns out. If all works well, seems like this could save a ton of money over replacing the air struts.

I have air suspension as well and it seems that each strut will run about $950 plus installation. I have seen prices vary from full retail to as low as $950. Not sure if they can be found for any less, but your kit noted above is less than one air strut. Good luck and keep us posted!!!
Old 03-26-18, 12:48 PM
volk50
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good luck with the conversion, keep us updated. This is the exact reason I got a car without air suspension. You can get new struts for the base LS suspension for around ~$100 each.
Old 03-27-18, 06:50 AM
mbarron37
Advanced

Received 76 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by vmdw1980
I asked the sales rep and he did state they are compatible. However, I will call their technical department tomorrow to confirm this through them as well.

EDIT: The paragraph below was taken from the website's product page for this specific kit:Why Choose Strutmasters Instead Of Those Other Guys

The 2007 to 2012 Lexus LS460 all-wheel drive models were equipped with one of the most sophisticated and expensive air suspension systems on the market. The air suspension system, better known as the Adaptive Variable Suspension (AVS), has hundreds of electronically-controlled sensors, parts and components that must work in perfect synchronization to deliver the proper ride quality. Eventually, the factory air system begins to break down due to exposure to the elements and normal wear and tear. When one of the major components (such as an air strut or compressor) go down, several more are right behind it. For the best chance of a successful repair, experienced technicians recommend replacing ALL of the major components in the system. This complete overhaul can run in the $7000 to $9000 range with parts and labor. Strutmasters has developed a cost-effective alternative, the four-wheel Lexus LS 460 suspension conversion kit. The conversion kit uses passive (non-electronic) coil-over-struts that simply bolt right into place of the factory units.
Were you able to contact the tech department to confirm fit to your LS? My air is ok for now, but if something happens down the road, I will want to know all of my options (and cost!!). I am not sure I would replace all air struts, but if only one or two, then I would consider. If I had to replace all four, then I would definitely look to do the conversion.
Old 03-27-18, 06:27 PM
vmdw1980
Driver School Candidate

Yes, I did receive confirmation via email from tech support confirming fitment. Also, I spoke with their sales rep today and these kits are built-to-order. I can expect to have my kit delivered early next week, so hopefully I'll have some feedback for you guys later next week. I'll also take some pictures of ride height to compare
Old 03-28-18, 06:29 AM
riknchar
Instructor

Received 228 Likes on 140 Posts

I'm also watching this thread with interest. My 2010 LS460L AWD has 92K miles, and it's just a matter of time before one or more of the air shocks dies. If the Strutmasters conversion kit keeps a reasonably Lexus-like ride and eliminates the air ride issues permanently (limited lifetime warranty on the Strutmasters is nice), then I'm in! Thanks for serving as our forum's guinea pig!
Old 03-28-18, 09:03 AM
213374U
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by riknchar
If the Strutmasters conversion kit keeps a reasonably Lexus-like ride
This is my biggest concern, from what I read the Suncore kits rode like garbage.
Old 04-04-18, 08:39 AM
riknchar
Instructor

Received 228 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by vmdw1980
Well, I went ahead and ordered the strutmasters kit (https://www.strutmasters.com/product...kit-ls-460-4w/). I called their sales department and asked a ton of questions, they were very helpful, and it seems like a legit shop, unlike suncore which I couldn't reach anyone. I have a mechanic installing the kit for me, so I'll provide an update and picture of the ride height. Stay tuned!
Any update on your new Struts? Many on this forum have been discussing the air ride suspension lately, and if the Strutmaster conversion kit provides a viable alternative to replacing costly air shocks, many will be interested. Have you had the new struts installed yet? Impact on ride quality? Thanks!
Old 04-04-18, 09:52 AM
vmdw1980
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by riknchar
Any update on your new Struts? Many on this forum have been discussing the air ride suspension lately, and if the Strutmaster conversion kit provides a viable alternative to replacing costly air shocks, many will be interested. Have you had the new struts installed yet? Impact on ride quality? Thanks!
I just dropped off the car at the mechanic last night. The Strutmasters kit took a while to get to me as they are built to order (took delivery a full 8 days after I placed the order). The mechanic is giving me a heck of a deal on labor, so I'm also getting new upper control arms and front rotors / pads installed at the same time. The car should be ready by Friday, so I'll post an update as an edit to my opening post in this thread. please stay tuned!
The following users liked this post:
HeavyHandz (05-15-18)
Old 04-06-18, 04:19 PM
213374U
Lexus Test Driver

Is it Friday yet?

Quick Reply: 2010 LS AWD SWB: Need help finding replacement struts (air to non-air)