LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Michelin Premier AS now available in 245/45/19!

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-18, 03:03 PM
FatherTo1
Racer

Received 115 Likes on 95 Posts
Default Michelin Premier AS now available in 245/45/19!

I was checking something else on TireRack and just noticed it listed the Michelin Premier A/S as available for our LS at 245/45/19 size! I wonder when this became official. I still like our Pirelli P7+ very much and have reservations about the low starting-tread depth on the Premiers but for those that had concerns about wet weather traction on the P7+ in 19-inch size, now you have another option. Still pretty pricey over the P7+ (which itself is not a cheap tire). Looks like the P7+ is rated for 70K and the Premier AS is 60K.

Old 03-26-18, 03:14 PM
Tec80
Advanced

Received 128 Likes on 99 Posts

I just swore out loud...

I put Premier A/S 215/45/17 on our Prius 3 years ago and they are amazing - quiet, great compliance, excellent response, long wear. Elsewhere in the garage, less than 2000 miles on the pilot sport tires I bought for my 2011 LS460 Sport and I'm not as impressed with them. I looked but didn't find the Premier A/S in 245/45/19 back then. Waaaahhhh!!!!!
Old 03-26-18, 03:25 PM
FatherTo1
Racer

Originally Posted by Tec80
I just swore out loud...

I put Premier A/S 215/45/17 on our Prius 3 years ago and they are amazing - quiet, great compliance, excellent response, long wear. Elsewhere in the garage, less than 2000 miles on the pilot sport tires I bought for my 2011 LS460 Sport and I'm not as impressed with them. I looked but didn't find the Premier A/S in 245/45/19 back then. Waaaahhhh!!!!!
Based on the TireRack review dates it must have literally came out this month. See if you can still swap out your Pilot Sport. I know 2000 miles is a little beyond the return policy but America's Tire/Discount Tire was kind enough to take back my set of Premier LTX once after 1000 miles.
Old 03-26-18, 05:30 PM
TexasTea
Rookie

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

This morning Walmart sent a price drop notice on this Pirelli PZero All Season Plus 245/45R19XL 102Y at $133 per tire. When you purchase a set of four (4) select Pirelli tires you may be eligible to receive a $60 Visa Prepaid Card via mail-in rebate. Offer valid on tires purchased from in-stock inventory between 12:00 a.m.EST March 10, 2017 and 11:59 p.m. EST April 24th, 2017. Tire installation from $12 per tire.

This tire may be a good one for those wanting to save some money on a fairly well reviewed tire.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Pirelli-P...-102Y/50554987
Old 03-26-18, 05:47 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,751 Likes on 1,968 Posts

They just came out.

Being a Michelin guy myself, I would have to seriously consider these, although I'm 100% happy with the Pirellis and they are notably cheaper. Reviews would seem to indicate that the Michelins provide little upside for the additional cost.
Old 03-26-18, 05:48 PM
FatherTo1
Racer

Originally Posted by TexasTea
This morning Walmart sent a price drop notice on this Pirelli PZero All Season Plus 245/45R19XL 102Y at $133 per tire. When you purchase a set of four (4) select Pirelli tires you may be eligible to receive a $60 Visa Prepaid Card via mail-in rebate. Offer valid on tires purchased from in-stock inventory between 12:00 a.m.EST March 10, 2017 and 11:59 p.m. EST April 24th, 2017. Tire installation from $12 per tire.

This tire may be a good one for those wanting to save some money on a fairly well reviewed tire.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Pirelli-P...-102Y/50554987
That is a great price and undercuts TireRack by $50 per tire. Good choice if one is looking for an ultra-high performance tire.
Old 03-26-18, 05:54 PM
FatherTo1
Racer

Originally Posted by SW17LS
They just came out.

Being a Michelin guy myself, I would have to seriously consider these, although I'm 100% happy with the Pirellis and they are notably cheaper. Reviews would seem to indicate that the Michelins provide little upside for the additional cost.
Same thought here. I want to try them out for comparison sake, but I don't really expect the Premier AS to blow away the P7+. Both tires seem equally good overall. I never felt an issue with wet traction with P7+ and we just had a week-long storm with rain, hail, and localized flooding.
Old 03-27-18, 10:55 AM
comotiger
Pole Position

Received 296 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by FatherTo1
Same thought here. I want to try them out for comparison sake, but I don't really expect the Premier AS to blow away the P7+. Both tires seem equally good overall. I never felt an issue with wet traction with P7+ and we just had a week-long storm with rain, hail, and localized flooding.
You drove your LS460 in hail? You are a man of adventure, Fto1
Old 03-27-18, 11:15 AM
FatherTo1
Racer

Originally Posted by comotiger
You drove your LS460 in hail? You are a man of adventure, Fto1
LOL, that's a good one. Luckily it wasn't hailing when I was out in the LS, although it did hail on me once near Reno, NV while driving the LS 430. It hailed in our backyard last week. Our daughter decided to go play in it in hopes of catching and eating hail. Sigh.

It has been a strange stretch of weather. No hail in the forecast, only thunderstorms and 4-10" of rain were expected. I don't think any area really received 10 inches though. There were definitely some strong downpours at times and it even started to snow in downtown Sacramento! I don't really have an analogy for how rare and unexpected that is. Suffice it to say, we are not accustomed to snow in the capital of California where the elevation is 30 feet and Summer temps can soar to 113.
Old 03-27-18, 05:46 PM
lizhekb
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I was browsing Costco's website for tires yesterday and saw the Michelin AS is available in 245 45 19. I thought it was a website mistake then today you confirmed it. Good news.
Old 03-27-18, 07:41 PM
FatherTo1
Racer

Originally Posted by lizhekb
I was browsing Costco's website for tires yesterday and saw the Michelin AS is available in 245 45 19. I thought it was a website mistake then today you confirmed it. Good news.
Just visited the site and saw they now advertise "now accepting appointments". In our neck of the woods if you're not at the tire center by 11am on the weekends then you have zero chance of getting your tires rotated same-day. Even if you make it into the queue I've been quoted a 5-hour wait and we end up taking two cars so we can use one to finish errands. I dread taking my wife's car for rotations at Costco. Next time we need tires for her car I am switching to America's Tire like for my car. AT has easy online appts and I am usually in and out after 45 minutes, not to mention AT has better pricing and promotions. I love Costco for everything else and their tire service is fine, it's the wait that is ridiculous due to the sheer volume of customers.
Old 03-28-18, 05:58 AM
riknchar
Instructor

Received 229 Likes on 141 Posts

Just visited the site and saw they now advertise "now accepting appointments". In our neck of the woods if you're not at the tire center by 11am on the weekends then you have zero chance of getting your tires rotated same-day. Even if you make it into the queue I've been quoted a 5-hour wait and we end up taking two cars so we can use one to finish errands. I dread taking my wife's car for rotations at Costco. Next time we need tires for her car I am switching to America's Tire like for my car. AT has easy online appts and I am usually in and out after 45 minutes, not to mention AT has better pricing and promotions. I love Costco for everything else and their tire service is fine, it's the wait that is ridiculous due to the sheer volume of customers.
Discount Tire will rotate your tires for free, whether you purchased from them or not. I have a Discount Tire store near my house, and when it's time for a tire rotation, I just swing in on a day when I see there aren't many cars in the queue. Takes like 20-30 minutes, and they don't mind if I hang out and watch them work (which probably makes them be a bit more careful with my car). When it comes time to buy tires, Discount Tire has no problem matching the Costco prices also.
Old 03-28-18, 06:34 AM
lizhekb
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

You are absolutely right. I went there once and never again for tires. They gave me a very different measurement for the winter tires 4 years ago and yes the waiting time was painful. I found out it later that and cancelled the deal before installation. That's why I thought they made mistake on their website again. I am in Canada, so not that many choices as in US.
Old 03-28-18, 07:29 AM
FatherTo1
Racer

Originally Posted by riknchar
Discount Tire will rotate your tires for free, whether you purchased from them or not. I have a Discount Tire store near my house, and when it's time for a tire rotation, I just swing in on a day when I see there aren't many cars in the queue. Takes like 20-30 minutes, and they don't mind if I hang out and watch them work (which probably makes them be a bit more careful with my car). When it comes time to buy tires, Discount Tire has no problem matching the Costco prices also.
Thanks, riknchar, I did not know that! I know they offer a lifetime rotate and balance package for about $100 if you bought your tires elsewhere so I never thought to just swing by for a freebie on the wife's car. I have been a customer of AT/DT for years and that's probably why they've put up with my frequent returns in search of the perfect tires in the past. I mean, its their corporate return policy but the execution of that policy and the customer service at my local AT/DT really has always been excellent to the point that I treated their team to lunch last year. Thank you for the advice
Old 03-28-18, 11:39 AM
Oliver Enterprises
Former Sponsor

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts

I'm a Michelin man. But the Pirelli's seem to be doing just fine. Would love to see scientific test results on these 2 tires equipped on the same LS 460.

Quick Reply: Michelin Premier AS now available in 245/45/19!