LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Tesla Style Headunit in LS460

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-19, 03:36 AM
ALK
Advanced

Received 134 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by jdanielca
Yes same people .

This a video of it running recently

View this post on Instagram
Old 08-01-19, 09:42 AM
Leeroy
Rookie

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Looks like the dash got chewed up during the install.
Old 08-01-19, 09:46 AM
ALK
Advanced

Received 134 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by Leeroy
Looks like the dash got chewed up during the install.
The vents look like that they break easily...
Old 09-30-19, 09:49 AM
cooljustin
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Hi, newbie for Lexus here. I got the LS 460 off my father. I used to drive an Audi D3 W12 before. I absolutely love the smoothness of its V8 engine and reliability, but I have to admit that it's electrical gadgets are quite outdated.
Cutting to the chest, I bite the bullet and bought this Chinese made Tesla like Screen. The screen may seem fancy by a glance, since they use the IPS panel (maybe LG?) its visibility is quite poor under the sun light during day times.

The main problem of this "Tesla like unit" is that all of these kind of products are manufactured by one factory and gets distributed by many sellers. Therefore, they make one unit for all system. - obviously our cars varies depending on the regions and what options you have.

I have repeatedly asked the compatibility of their product with the LS's ML sound system. - and they said yeahh yeahh no problem.

However, it turned out to be it is not true and the product requires an extensive cable customization (cutting and even some welding etc)

After installing this thing, I can no longer enjoy the sound. Their unit is not compatible with the ML system. Even if it does, I highly doubt that the audio sound would be that great nor playing all speakers.

I even have had an online live discussion with their engineers but they were telling me things that make absolutely no sense. They even told me to bring back the factory ML unit to connect one of their cables to be connected (which I did) in order to "initialize the factory amplifier." It didn't work.

After spending hours figuring out their nonsense, I've got very weary sick of their non sensible professional advice so have opened an order dispute yet they are refusing for a refund.

I've talked to the professional audio shop and they suggested to remove the entire ML system and install the aftermarket audio system, which I do not want.

Now I just want to ship this thing back to China and go back to the "Good old" ML system.

IN SHORT SUMMARY : STAY THE HECK OUT OF THIS CHINESE JUNK.

Last edited by cooljustin; 09-30-19 at 09:29 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by cooljustin:
1WILLY1 (12-05-19), PhilipMidd (02-12-21)
Old 09-30-19, 04:21 PM
rogersmj
Rookie

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

^ Well that sounds about exactly the horror story I would expect for something like this.
Old 09-30-19, 04:44 PM
ShangoBoi
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cooljustin
Hi, newbie for Lexus here. I got the LS 460 off my father. I used to drive an Audi D3 W12 before. I absolutely love smoothness of the V8 engine and its reliability, but I have admit that it's electrical gadgets are quite outdated.
Cutting to the chest, I bite the bullet and bought this Chinese made Tesla like Screen. The screen may seem fancy by a glance, since they use the IPS panel (maybe LG?) its visibility is quite poor under the sun light during day times.

The main problem of this "Tesla like unit" is that all of these kind of products are manufactured by one factory and gets distributed by many sellers. Therefore, they make one unit for all system. - obviously our cars varies depending on the regions and what options you have.

I have repeatedly asked the compatibility of their product with the LS's ML sound system. - and they said yeahh yeahh no problem.

However, it turned out to be it is not true and the product requires an extensive cable customization (cutting and even some welding etc)

After installing this thing, I can no longer enjoy the sound. Their unit is not compatible with the ML system. Even if it does, I highly doubt that the audio sound would be that great nor playing all speakers.

I even have had an online live discussion with their engineers but they were telling me things that make absolutely no sense. They even told me to bring back the factory ML unit to connect one of their cables to be connected (which I did) in order to "initialize the factory amplifier." It didn't work.

After spending hours figuring out their nonsense, I've got very weary sick of their non sensible professional advice so have opened an order dispute yet they are refusing for a refund.

I've talked to the professional audio shop and they suggested to remove the entire ML system and install the aftermarket audio system, which I do not want.

Now I just want to ship this thing back to China and go back to the "Good old" ML system.

Please list the link for the Tesla style head unit you bought. I plan to install and aftermarket system anyways. Aside from that issue what do you think of it? Lastly the rear seat tablets, are they also connected to your system? Info on them please. Thanks
Old 11-28-19, 11:28 AM
bphil
Driver School Candidate

I tried to get a copy of the installation manual prior to purchasing and they refused to make it available.

I did see a mark Livingston specific reference in what was called a high version option that apears to be a more recent updated unit..

https://ae01.alicdn.com/kf/Hb4174f11...13c300907K.jpg

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000...chweb201603_55
Old 12-04-19, 10:07 AM
Buldogbell
Driver School Candidate

Post Question

Originally Posted by bphil
I tried to get a copy of the installation manual prior to purchasing and they refused to make it available.

I did see a mark Livingston specific reference in what was called a high version option that appears to be a more recent updated unit..

https://ae01.alicdn.com/kf/Hb4174f11...13c300907K.jpg

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000...chweb201603_55
This looks awesome. I currently have the GROM VL2 and would love to make the change to this mod, however, like you, I would prefer to keep ML vs. replacing it with the aftermarket. Do you or anyone else know if the High Version works, plug-n-play without any issues?

Old 12-05-19, 07:44 AM
jdanielca
Pole Position

Received 213 Likes on 191 Posts

Originally Posted by ShangoBoi
Please list the link for the Tesla style head unit you bought. I plan to install and aftermarket system anyways. Aside from that issue what do you think of it? Lastly the rear seat tablets, are they also connected to your system? Info on them please. Thanks
also interested in your headrest set up.
Old 12-05-19, 08:15 AM
comotiger
Pole Position

Received 296 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by ShangoBoi
Originally Posted by jdanielca
also interested in your headrest set up.
Here's a thread with pretty good-looking rear headrest DVD set ups and a installation video from YT.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...014-ls460.html

The following users liked this post:
jdanielca (12-06-19)
Old 12-05-19, 03:09 PM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 196 Likes on 140 Posts

I like modding but I could never mess with something so crucial to the car with something so risky

Can turn into a nightmare very quickly .

Get that ML back on very swiftly

(sorry I failed poetry but I like to try)
Old 08-20-20, 04:25 PM
tcamp95818
Driver School Candidate

Default It does work good

Originally Posted by roadfrog
I would be all over this if it worked as expected.
It's just a bear to get to work right with Lexus stuff

Old 08-20-20, 04:28 PM
tcamp95818
Driver School Candidate

Default This shows how to keep facotry nav with new head u it

Originally Posted by bigjez
I’m in I want to get rid of this mark system. Being a audio head the head unit limits me is there anyway to keep the nav screen but replace the head unit sorry for the thread jack.
https://rrcs.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/360041704231
Old 09-19-20, 11:32 AM
KingYoshi
Driver School Candidate

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Ordered mine about a month ago. I installed it myself and everything was plug and play. No manual came with it so I had to kinda figure my way through the install but there’s a guy on YouTube with a GS who gives a lot of good info on putting these types of units in Lexus’. A few spots in the plastic did need to be slightly shaved in order for the original AC vents and clock to fit properly (you can tell the molding wasn’t the best). My original is a Mark Levinson set up and after the install everything works pretty good and it sounds great.

I have a small WiFi hotspot plugged in the armrest to run all the apps that require internet connection. I also add a double USB port in place of the old AUX port to plug directly into the back of the unit.

Now I’m trying to find the best place for software updates and skins/layouts for the system. The stock configuration gets old fast. I’d like to be able to add some customization to it. Other than that I’m happy with it so far.
The following users liked this post:
NotFasty (09-19-20)
Old 09-20-20, 02:39 AM
ausLX
Pit Crew

Received 57 Likes on 46 Posts

Nice, did you get it from Phoenix? I notice it's a little different to the one in your OP, with buttons at the top of the screen. How is the processing speed of the unit? Does it lag at all when you navigate through the menus and play media? How much ram?

Quick Reply: Tesla Style Headunit in LS460