LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Can you add aftermarket head unit?

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-18 | 06:23 AM
rtr2
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ALK
All I want to know is that is there any special things that the audio expert should do ? Because my of 07 has a blown ML amp and I need to replace it. So the oem nav has no control over the audio right ? Its all trough the double din u head unit ? also the sound balance and equalizer is all through the end double din head unit tight ?
No, nothing an experienced installer shouldn’t know already. I will add please take it to an experienced installer, mine has over 30 years experience personally and did all of this in about four hours which included also installing a Viper Smart Start on the car. Your installer will need to run power cables back to the old amp location, along with RCA’S, and any extra wiring you may want for the installation. I have an old Audio Controld ESP-3 (old school, and still nothing better for a center channel) controlling my center channel and he went ahead and ran the bass **** controller wire (for the Epicenter that he will hook up later when he builds the fiberglass box and installs the Rockford Fosgate sub) for the initial installation. All of the speaker wiring is on the right where the old Levinson amp is located, and your installer can use the same location for the new amps. He will also need a Toyota steering wheel remote adapter so that your steering wheel controls work properly. Mine do the volume up, down, & mute with no issues. The OEM Nav does not control the deck, and it is funny, after the Levinson CD and amp were removed, there is not even a menu that shows up any more on it. It is as if it was never installed in the OEM system. All audio systems are controlled through the aftermarket deck.
The following users liked this post:
paulmhand (08-05-18)
Old 05-02-18 | 06:28 AM
ALK
Advanced

Originally Posted by rtr2

No, nothing an experienced installer shouldn’t know already. I will add please take it to an experienced installer, mine has over 30 years experience personally and did all of this in about four hours which included also installing a Viper Smart Start on the car. Your installer will need to run power cables back to the old amp location, along with RCA’S, and any extra wiring you may want for the installation. I have an old Audio Controld ESP-3 (old school, and still nothing better for a center channel) controlling my center channel and he went ahead and ran the bass **** controller wire (for the Epicenter that he will hook up later when he builds the fiberglass box and installs the Rockford Fosgate sub) for the initial installation. All of the speaker wiring is on the right where the old Levinson amp is located, and your installer can use the same location for the new amps. He will also need a Toyota steering wheel remote adapter so that your steering wheel controls work properly. Mine do the volume up, down, & mute with no issues. The OEM Nav does not control the deck, and it is funny, after the Levinson CD and amp were removed, there is not even a menu that shows up any more on it. It is as if it was never installed in the OEM system. All audio systems are controlled through the aftermarket deck.
Much appreciated help. My main aim to get the audio back with the chance of upgrading the sub or some speakers. Do you recommend with going with a newer ken-wood or the model the you have is enough in terms of audio ? . Sorry I dont have a good background DIN headunits.

Best regards
Old 05-02-18 | 06:29 AM
rtr2
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by roadfrog
Well shut my mouth. I thought that this was all impossible without screwing up the integrated electronics.
You will laugh, but this was purely an accident. Lee was going to install another add on which I will not name, but they guaranteed “flawless integration”. It didn’t work. While the console and factory CD was already out, Lee said “Screw it, you want to try something?”, well we did and this was in my opinion, the awesome aftermath. Lee and Thomas made my year with this install. Lol they are my favorite mad scientists.
Old 05-02-18 | 06:42 AM
rtr2
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ALK
Much appreciated help. My main aim to get the audio back with the chance of upgrading the sub or some speakers. Do you recommend with going with a newer ken-wood or the model the you have is enough in terms of audio ? . Sorry I dont have a good background DIN headunits.

Best regards
No problem, and my deck, or a newer Kenwood or Pioneer will do fine. I was an a Alpine fan for many years, but I personally think both Pioneer and Kenwood have left them far behind in technology. With both companies you can add system integration to control everything you could ever imagine on your car through the decks using idatlink & Maestro controllers available (The web page doesn’t show our car, but a Toyota or Lexus harness for these years will work). I have a friend that they already did his install and added the controllers, and it controls his HVAC, clears OBD2 codes, diagnoses any issues, etc. That was an all day installation he said, but to me it may be overkill. Then again having an Apple TV to show presentations to clients parked on a base in their car may be overkill lol. As Lee always has told me, “There is never a car that we cannot come up with something to do with it”, and he definitely did.
Old 05-02-18 | 06:45 AM
rtr2
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by dphennis
is there anyway to run spotify or usb in an 07? im running into the same problems
Spotify, iHeart radio, Pandora, Waze, and a ton of other apps run seamlessly through the Kenwood and Pioneer radios.
Old 05-02-18 | 12:48 PM
ALK
Advanced

No problem, and my deck, or a newer Kenwood or Pioneer will do fine. I was an a Alpine fan for many years, but I personally think both Pioneer and Kenwood have left them far behind in technology. With both companies you can add system integration to control everything you could ever imagine on your car through the decks using idatlink & Maestro controllers available (The web page doesn’t show our car, but a Toyota or Lexus harness for these years will work). I have a friend that they already did his install and added the controllers, and it controls his HVAC, clears OBD2 codes, diagnoses any issues, etc. That was an all day installation he said, but to me it may be overkill. Then again having an Apple TV to show presentations to clients parked on a base in their car may be overkill lol. As Lee always has told me, “There is never a car that we cannot come up with something to do with it”, and he definitely did.
For the steering wheel control is the MAESTRO SW needed ? Or the deck can handle it ? The factory AUX input in the center console is it possible to integrate it with the head unit ?

Best Regards

Last edited by ALK; 05-02-18 at 01:01 PM.
Old 05-02-18 | 05:17 PM
rtr2
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ALK
For the steering wheel control is the MAESTRO SW needed ? Or the deck can handle it ? The factory AUX input in the center console is it possible to integrate it with the head unit ?

Best Regards
No a PAC steering wheel remote control unit adapter is all you need. All car audio installation shops have them. After a few wires are tapped into, the PAC part has an end that plugs into the back of any deck that is made now and it will enable the unit the ability to be controlled by the steering wheel. The installer should be able to use the factory AUX input, they will probably splice into it. I also purchased a USB 3.0 extension from Amazon for mine that has the AUX also as part of it, one just for charging with an AUX HDMI, and a dual USB 3.0 for charging devices only:

Amazon Amazon

I also installed this one:

Amazon Amazon

and installed this one:

Amazon Amazon
Old 05-03-18 | 06:56 AM
R Z
Pole Position

Originally Posted by comotiger
Your car must have an AUX input for a 3.5 mm jack. You could then get a bluetooth receiver like the one below, and play music from your smartphone.
https://www.amazon.com/TaoTronics-Bl...ith+aux+output
I took your advise and bought this exact one. I saw there was a newer version, but I liked this design better. Last night I plugged it in, paired it easily enough, and bamm, I have bluetooth audio. Thank you very much!!
Old 11-24-18 | 01:17 PM
RaulJPC
Driver School Candidate

Yes you can. I have a 2007 LS460, and my local shop removed the factory amp, installed a Kenwood DDX9904S Double DIN head unit that does CarPlay and Android audio, removed the Mark Levinson amp in the back on the right side, replaced it with two smaller Rockford Fosgate digital amps that are extremely small, and are using the factory Levinson speakers, and it sounds great. My HVAC, factory GPS, factory back up camera, and any information that needs to come through the system like I received a notice for my air filter replacement the other day, everything works with no issues.

. I have had no errors with any factory electronics, and the system sounds great. I love it.
Hey there, I assume the dash kit is custom. How much did it cost you and is the guy who did it willing to make another one and ship out to me here in Portland Oregon?
I have a 2008 LS460L with the Mark Levinson system also. I went to the car shop and they denied me on doing any work. I know how to do it, just lazy. The dash kit though is what I really need. Any help you give will be great. Thanks!
Old 12-14-18 | 01:19 AM
rtr2
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by RaulJPC
Hey there, I assume the dash kit is custom. How much did it cost you and is the guy who did it willing to make another one and ship out to me here in Portland Oregon?
I have a 2008 LS460L with the Mark Levinson system also. I went to the car shop and they denied me on doing any work. I know how to do it, just lazy. The dash kit though is what I really need. Any help you give will be great. Thanks!
I made a kit from my old CD player sides, and it worked great with my new Alpine. Give me until after Christmas, and I will refine it a little, and make a mould of both a single and double DIN kit. The shops can do it, they just don’t want to take a lot of time making one.

The following users liked this post:
lyntis (11-02-19)
Old 12-14-18 | 07:48 AM
Gjohnson
Driver

Nice. What unit is that?
Old 12-14-18 | 10:12 AM
RaulJPC
Driver School Candidate

Default 08 ls460l

Thanks for the pics. However, I tried installing my new aftermarket deck with the TYTO-01 harness that Crutchfield said would work for my Mark Levinson system but I get no sound. I'm not sure if it's intended for the premium system and not the Mark Levinson. I am not swapping out the amp which is how I saw the other setup done with the Kenwood deck. So I returned it. Ordered a Tab S2 8" and going to make a kit for it and just bluetooth it to the deck. I already have a bluetooth module in the car now I bought a while back. Did you swap out the amp and/or do you have the Mark Levinson system? If so what radio harness did you use? Thanks!
Old 12-14-18 | 10:49 AM
rtr2
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by RaulJPC
Thanks for the pics. However, I tried installing my new aftermarket deck with the TYTO-01 harness that Crutchfield said would work for my Mark Levinson system but I get no sound. I'm not sure if it's intended for the premium system and not the Mark Levinson. I am not swapping out the amp which is how I saw the other setup done with the Kenwood deck. So I returned it. Ordered a Tab S2 8" and going to make a kit for it and just bluetooth it to the deck. I already have a bluetooth module in the car now I bought a while back. Did you swap out the amp and/or do you have the Mark Levinson system? If so what radio harness did you use? Thanks!
Lee removed the ML amp, ran RCA’s back to the passenger side factory amp location (removing the ML amp) in the trunk, and placed a five channel digital amp in the same place powering the factory speakers. If they sold you a wiring harness adapter it would probably not work correctly, if not fry the amp because of the power from an aftermarket unit sent to the factory amp might overpower it. The way we did it, we can reinstall the factory amp and a lower CD deck back into the locations easily to return the system back to stock in case I want to sell the car in the future.

Last edited by rtr2; 12-14-18 at 10:58 AM.
Old 12-14-18 | 11:19 AM
RaulJPC
Driver School Candidate

Default 08 ls460l

Oh okay, did you lose any of your speakers because there is a 19 speaker system in my car? I was at a car shop just the other day and they said I would need multiple amps if I want to retain all 19 speakers, well 18 because I'm buying a bass package from them. They will bypass my ML amp just for the sub and add the 2nd amp in. The ML will just keep powering the other speakers. I blew the factory sub so just upgrading it. I think I'm going to stick with the tablet install. I've done it before in my 03 LS430. Put a 12" Samsung tablet in. Thanks for the information though.
Old 02-12-19 | 12:00 AM
khnu
Driver School Candidate

I made a kit from my old CD player sides, and it worked great with my new Alpine. Give me until after Christmas, and I will refine it a little, and make a mould of both a single and double DIN kit. The shops can do it, they just don’t want to take a lot of time making one.

This looks solid!. Question, theoretically, would it be possible to move the navigation screen down and the tablet screen up? Thanks!

Quick Reply: Can you add aftermarket head unit?