LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Brake actuator noise

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-18, 04:30 AM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Received 355 Likes on 245 Posts
Default Brake actuator noise

Anyone have any idea how long the brake actuator will last once it starts making noise?

I have diagnosed the noise I'm having and it's my actuator, it's not something I'm thrilled about but I intend to drive it like this until it fails...wondering how much time I've got.

Also I'm wondering if Lexus would "goodwill" an actuator on a 07 with 175,000 miles on it? Probably not. Bummer because if this had just completely failed before December of 2017 it would have been covered under that extended warranty.
Old 04-14-18, 07:35 AM
rehr0001
Pit Crew

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

Actuator noise wouldn’t have gotten you a replacement (unless you were one of the lucky few). The noise isn’t failure, it’s just noise and likely choppy breaking. In order for you to get the warranty enhancement, there has to be failure of the actuator (lights coming on). From what I’ve read and experienced, it may never fail. It will continue to give you the noise and “non-smooth” braking.
Old 04-14-18, 08:46 AM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Received 355 Likes on 245 Posts

Originally Posted by rehr0001
Actuator noise wouldn’t have gotten you a replacement (unless you were one of the lucky few). The noise isn’t failure, it’s just noise and likely choppy breaking. In order for you to get the warranty enhancement, there has to be failure of the actuator (lights coming on). From what I’ve read and experienced, it may never fail. It will continue to give you the noise and “non-smooth” braking.
Ok, yeah I didn't figure it'd get me the replacement, I just wasn't sure how long it'd last once that noise started and man it is loud/very noticeable. But it's good to know that it doesn't necessarily mean it's headin for catastrophic failure.

But i I will say that's the noise is unacceptable for a car like this, it's a bit embarrassing when you're driving the car to have a noise like that, I feel like I'm driving around in a Chevy Citation or something right now.
Old 04-14-18, 10:20 AM
Caflashbob
Instructor

Received 194 Likes on 153 Posts

Some replacements start making the same noise according to my shop
Old 04-14-18, 12:38 PM
mckellyb
Lexus Test Driver

Received 147 Likes on 109 Posts

Mine's been making noise for at least 18 months, as that's when I purchased it.

The non-linear braking feel can be rectified by EBC Yellowstuf pads. After your OEM rotors warp, I highly recommend some EBC rotors, too. The combo completely changes how the brakes feel on this car. From utter crap to pretty good for a land yacht.

Mine, equipped as above, are light years better than the OEM stuff on my wife's '17 RX 350.
Old 04-14-18, 12:52 PM
Caflashbob
Instructor

Received 194 Likes on 153 Posts

Interesting post as my local independent shop installed the EBC pads and rotors on the front of my 08 LS.

you are correct about changing the “feel”. Less grabby. Especially at lower speeds.

service advisor says the oem pads and rotors were “soft” and the EBC are “harder” and the pads are “ceramic” and will last much longer.

talked me out of turning the oem rotors down to correct a low speed application pulsation. Done a lot of these it seems.

brakes still strong at faster rotor speeds just less at low revolution speed. Which is good. No grab requiring conscious lessening of pedal pressure as you came to a full stop.