LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Possible new LS460 Buyer has questions?

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-18, 08:48 PM
colfax
Intermediate

Received 66 Likes on 50 Posts
Default Possible new LS460 Buyer has questions?

Hello everyone,
I have just sold my 1997 LS400 and am seriously considering buying a 2007 LS460 from a friend, it has 104,000 miles, he bought it new and took it to the dealer every 5000 miles for service.
I test drove it today and I noticed a shuddering from the front end when I would lightly apply the brakes, I immediately suspected it needs the front rotors trued or replace, seller agreed, fine.
BUT, and this is my big concern, I noticed that when I was stopped like in a parking lot or traffic light that when I pressed on the gas pedal there was not really a hesitation but a very slow immediate acceleration and when I had to press harder to get going the car would then kind of jump strongly, as if there was no in between. This was a totally different sensation compared ot the smooth response from my 97 LS400. Now, I spent past few hours reading posts on this forum on various software fixes, oil changes, ete etc. This makes me believe there IS a real problem and that I better
second guess my former elation at wanting to buy the sellers immaculate, fairly low mileage at 104K, LS460. As I was alone of the test drive I chose not to bring up this issue but instead to ask the experts on this forum, and then to the seller and perhaps cancel the deal. The seller is a fine gentleman who is a friend and is asking only $11000 for the car, I have to believe that is an excellent price but I do not want the car if I have to live with a mapping issue or oil change issue or whatever it is that is causing the acceleration issue I noticed on my test drive.
I need your help, frankly I do not want to make a huge mistake and realize later that such an expensive car could have such a serious issue.
Can you folks please advise, help me with this. The care is obviously out of warranty and I do not wish to spend lots of time and money at the dealer trying to "fix" a known problem. THANK YOU
Old 04-15-18, 09:30 PM
BMW7_LS430
Instructor

Received 125 Likes on 98 Posts

Check suspension. There is an inexpensive fix for control arms/bushings but you need to be aware what you are getting into.
Check if any recalls are done.
There is a difference in LS400/LS430 and LS460. Both acceleration and brakes. It may be just getting used to. Car may have learned your friends driving. Try it again by disconnecting the battery for 30 mins if your friend allows it.

That is a great price and sounds like it is otherwise in good condition. I would pick it up if I was in your shoes. First thing I would do is drain and refill ATF if it was never done before. Find out if he did that ever.

If you have more budget, then eye for 2011 or 2012. I am talking about 10K more and that makes it almost twice as expensive.

Edit: Looks like this one https://albuquerque.craigslist.org/c...559970423.html
His price is 11K for anyone, friend or not.

Last edited by BMW7_LS430; 04-15-18 at 09:34 PM.
Old 04-15-18, 09:49 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

I would get it inspected first at a Lexus dealership, tell them what you felt/heard, don't rush to buy it before having it inspected. It could need new spark plugs and a fuel injection cleaning, noise could be control arms.
Old 04-16-18, 04:40 AM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Received 355 Likes on 245 Posts

First, is the shutter gon when braking? What I mean is, did he replace the pads and rotors? Because I didn't understand if he did, or was going to if you bought it. Because a shudder while braking, yes, is usually pads and rotors on most cars, but with these cars there is a small chance it could be something else. So I'd want that fixed first.

As for the acceleration, to me it sounds like you're not used to the throttle response of the car yet, I'd test drive it again and really get a feel for it. These cars have more power than your average car, and modern cars have transmissions that "learn" driving habits and shift patterns are adjusted slightly. Plus you probably don't want these cars just exploding off the line...I've found them to be maybe a little gradual at first, then they really go like hell if you want them to.

11 grand for a low mileage well maintained car sounds like a deal. And if you're headed in the higher end luxury car segment, the 460 is your safest bet by far.
Old 04-16-18, 07:13 AM
colfax
Intermediate

ok guys, I really appreciate the advice you are giving me. Check the suspension? What exactly does that mean I should do? Look for what in the suspension, take it to a dealer before buying it and ask the dealer to "check the suspension"? Please be more specific as I did not feel
anything wrong with the suspension, just the slight shuddering when the brakes are applied lightly and then disappears when more brake pressure is applied, that seems like rotors to me but you seem to feel it is the suspension?
A big concern is that I have read on this forum something about replacing the "heads" apparently on 07s only, in order to solve a problem some people are reporting.
My word, what in the world would that cost and what, the valves or something in the head is bad and causing this odd throttle response? wow

Various reports that simply changing the oil is definitely linked to a different issue, yet I have not read an explanation as to how, just that yes indeed changing oil produced a problem? WOW
I really like the looks and luxury, great price of this car but I am now scared of it. Ask if recalls are done, ok I will ask the seller that today along with if spark plugs changed.
He says it has gone back to the dealer every 5000 miles since new for any and all servicing. Is the 07 heads problem only that year.

I appreciate very much all your comments, I need your expert advise as I fear making a big mistake buying it.
Old 04-16-18, 08:28 AM
Oliver Enterprises
Former Sponsor

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts

Colfax - Check the switch position of the ECT on the floor console near the shifter / armrest. I forget the selection, but I think it is Power, Standard (not written), and Snow. And then on the left knee panel area there is an ECO button that is another setting. I don't know why they didn't tie that setting in with the ECT button, but whatever. The way you describe it, it could be in the ECO setting, or possibly in the Snow setting (not likely). The ECO setting will feel like you describe when accelerating, when you're not used to it.

I suggest putting it in the standard setting, which is probably the most linear. To put in in Standard mode, first put in in Power mode, then push Power again, and the Power mode light on the dash turns off. With no setting indication on the dash, that is the standard setting. Maybe, that will have a more linear feel. My son drove my car with the Power setting on, and he didn't like the feel because it would come on too strong with just a slight push of the pedal ... unlike the Camry he was driving at that time.
Old 04-16-18, 08:53 AM
colfax
Intermediate

ok all, I have learned a lot just reading your replies

anyone take a shot at my question about why replacing the "heads" is an answer to some 07 problem I should aware of?

I looked through the online service schedule and I do not see when the tranny fluid is replaced?

I will now contact the seller and ask him to let me look through all the service records.

Anyone educate me also on why changing the oil produces a problem, I have read this a couple of times now?
Old 04-16-18, 09:21 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by colfax
ok guys, I really appreciate the advice you are giving me. Check the suspension? What exactly does that mean I should do? Look for what in the suspension, take it to a dealer before buying it and ask the dealer to "check the suspension"? Please be more specific as I did not feel
anything wrong with the suspension, just the slight shuddering when the brakes are applied lightly and then disappears when more brake pressure is applied, that seems like rotors to me but you seem to feel it is the suspension?
A big concern is that I have read on this forum something about replacing the "heads" apparently on 07s only, in order to solve a problem some people are reporting.
My word, what in the world would that cost and what, the valves or something in the head is bad and causing this odd throttle response? wow

Various reports that simply changing the oil is definitely linked to a different issue, yet I have not read an explanation as to how, just that yes indeed changing oil produced a problem? WOW
I really like the looks and luxury, great price of this car but I am now scared of it. Ask if recalls are done, ok I will ask the seller that today along with if spark plugs changed.
He says it has gone back to the dealer every 5000 miles since new for any and all servicing. Is the 07 heads problem only that year.

I appreciate very much all your comments, I need your expert advise as I fear making a big mistake buying it.
When you take the car in to Lexus for a PPI they check the whole car over, before you get it checked I would tell them what you felt and heard so they can focus more on that and see if they can figure what is wrong while they have it. It would be very difficult for you to really check the suspension yourself since you don't have a lift and probably don't really know what to look for, it is difficult to even see what is going on by just looking at it with a flashlight. You normally don't feel when there are issues with the suspension/control arms, you hear it, like squeaking, creaking, crunching noises especially when you go over speed bumps or make sharp turns at low speeds. Take the car for a extended test drive and go over as many speed bumps as you can, turn the wheel back and forth while going slow, make sharper turns and listen.

It could just be rotors or pads, if the dealership says it is just rotors or pads I would not worry too much about it, you can get them cheap and do them yourself.

I believe there was a valve recall for early LS's, the dealer should be able to tell you if it was done and if it is a issue on the car.

There are some very odd issues with changing the oil on some cars where the car goes into some kind of mode and retards acceleration, it usually goes away after a while but it is odd and really should have been figured out by now by Lexus.

You really should take it to a Lexus dealership for a PPI, there are issues with these cars and some can be extremely expensive to deal with, it would be well worth spending the $130 to $150 for one.
Old 04-16-18, 11:33 AM
PwrdbyM
Driver

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

It seems to me you're getting a very good deal on this car at only $11k, so if you pass it up what are you going to spend for one just like it? $13-14k?
Short of a full transmission replacement you're not looking at something that expensive. And I really doubt that's what you'd be dealing with anyway. If you DIY repairs you can do rotors and pads easily on the cheap as well as the control arms. Then ensure the snow/power/eco settings are set correctly, attempt the battery learn reset, and drain and refill the ATF. Enjoy.
Old 04-16-18, 01:08 PM
colfax
Intermediate

ok thanks everyone for all of your very helpful comments

I have now reviewed all of the extensive dealer service records for every 5000 miles since purchased new, everything done perfectly as schedule required

I have test driven it again and yes it was me just not being used to the accelerator difference, I am going ahead with this purchase

thank you all very much!
Old 04-18-18, 03:26 PM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 317 Likes on 275 Posts

If the car was serviced regularly at the dealership than all recalls should have been done. These cars' values have tanked over the last year so I think the price is about average (private sellers may ask more but I don't think they are getting it). DO get a thorough inspection at a Lexus dealership before you pay for it. Things to look out for are suspension control arm bushings, brake actuator, wheel bearings, water pump brake rotors. You can read the common failure items on this forum but for heavens sake get it checked - this sucker is expensive to repair!
Old 04-19-18, 10:22 AM
colfax
Intermediate

If the car was serviced regularly at the dealership than all recalls should have been done. These cars' values have tanked over the last year so I think the price is about average (private sellers may ask more but I don't think they are getting it). DO get a thorough inspection at a Lexus dealership before you pay for it. Things to look out for are suspension control arm bushings, brake actuator, wheel bearings, water pump brake rotors. You can read the common failure items on this forum but for heavens sake get it checked - this sucker is expensive to repair!
_

================

ok thank you for the good advice, I am now a couple of days away from buying the 07, can someone tell me at what typical mileage the suspension control arm bushings, brake actuator, wheel bearings,
water pump, wear out, need replacing at your all experience know it all can vary but just some guidelines would help me here?

I get the advice about taking it to the dealer but I am a newbie and I guess just a little afraid of being told all those things need replacing now at 104K miles?

thanks again everyone
john
Old 04-19-18, 01:31 PM
Mbbarron
Intermediate

Received 43 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by colfax
_

================

ok thank you for the good advice, I am now a couple of days away from buying the 07, can someone tell me at what typical mileage the suspension control arm bushings, brake actuator, wheel bearings,
water pump, wear out, need replacing at your all experience know it all can vary but just some guidelines would help me here?

I get the advice about taking it to the dealer but I am a newbie and I guess just a little afraid of being told all those things need replacing now at 104K miles?

thanks again everyone
john
Even if you're buying from a "friend", I would still get a PPI before purchasing. It's better to know what you're getting into, than go into it blind. I was just about ready to buy a car thinking it was a great deal and there was room in the budget for repairs, until I found out it had two bent wheel rims and a broken stereo button (which could possibly require replacing the whole radio - an expensive proposition). The vehicle was being sold by a non-Lexus dealer and when I got a PPI from Lexus, I was actually told by the Lexus dealership that they recommended I wait for a better car to come along. Not all those major things will need to be done at once, but I've have been given very sage advice on this forum to ALWAYS get a PPI on any vehicle (especially one with higher mileage), unless it comes with a Lexus L-certified bumper to bumper warranty.