LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Resetting TPMS

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-18, 10:20 AM
sdudra
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Resetting TPMS

I got new Pirelli tires installed last week at Discount Tire. Since I have aftermarket tires, I bought new TPMS sensors and had them install, Lexus part number 42607-30060. I was assuming when I left, the monitors would work, but was told that I have to drive the car a certain miles before it would pick up the new sensors.

Well after a 400-500 mile trip this weekend and an idiot light on the whole time, I am figuring out they have no idea what they are doing. :-)

Any suggestions anyone?

BTW, lexus wants TO MUCH money to just reset this the correct way. So I am looking for other suggestions and that is my last resort.
Old 04-23-18, 03:52 PM
Ledfam
Rookie

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I had the same issue. I purchased new Goodyear RSA2 with new Denso sensors. I had Pep Boys install the tires and the TPMS sensors. They said i needed to drive a certain speed for certain amount of time-1 week later the Light still on. Took it back and they reprogrammed and that time it worked from the start!

Old 04-23-18, 04:03 PM
yyymmm31
Intermediate

Received 227 Likes on 140 Posts

---
It appears that neither the Discount Tire shop nor Pep Boys store knew what they were doing in terms of programming the tire pressure sensors. You need to add the new sensors into LS460 database with Techstream. Follow the instruction here to program the sensors:
---
The following users liked this post:
diamente (06-24-19)
Old 04-23-18, 04:57 PM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 196 Likes on 140 Posts

the story of them needing to be driven for a certain time is a lie to get you out of the door

I had a 22 inch tire removed last week and of course, they broke the sensor , tried to give me another one that "looked exactly the same" but had different numbers.

They tried telling me the same story, u need to drive 60 kms and it will work

the level of incompetence from shops these days is staggering
Old 04-23-18, 05:29 PM
Htony
Lexus Champion

Received 134 Likes on 124 Posts

TPMS sensor is not automatically registered when replaced. The reset switch has nothing to do TPMS registering(relearning). In this case reset switch's purpose is to reset the threshold of pressures. When tires are inflated corrctly and push the reset. Then when pressure goes down from that point the display warning comes on. Please understand the purpose of reset switch. To read new id. of TPMS and register it, you'll need Tech stream or TPMS trigger/scan tool( I have a Autel TS501). What kind of tire shop breaks sensor stem(repairable with a kit)) or does not know Lexus cars does not pick up new TPMS ids. When I had Acura MDX, it picked up new TPMS id. automatically. Some software engineering in Lexus cars are so primitive! MDX had clear display of which wheel is losing air too. Another example is when I play foreign songs, my wife's MB car displays name of song, singer's name, even with pictures in foreign language. Lexus displays all question marks. Does not know how to translate languages. There are some tutorials out there regarding Lexus TPMS.on Youtube. The TPMS tool is very handy just make sure it covers your car when choosing one.
Old 04-24-18, 02:12 PM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

lol so, after having my usual tire shop break my TPMS and try to give me some used one that "looked similar" and "should work after you drive it for 50 kms " (they ended up repairing my old one and its working fine so far) , I tried a new shop today and they managed to raise the bar.

After politely warning them that the wheel had a TPMS and that I needed it after the tire was removed, I dropped the wheel off and was told to pick it up in an hour.

When I go back I get told that the wheel actually didn't have a TPMS, just a stub where it should be LOL

I told them my car has been reading that TPMS for a year and a half and there was forsure a sensor there.

They denied it, and pretended to act dumb, until I walk over the the tire machine and fine my sensor there, BROKEN in half, and even still they deny, saying that is an old sensor that's been there for days .

I took it home to match the numbers with the other 3 I have and yes, its a match, and now they are ordering me a new sensor and will install in in a couple days.

People who blindy trust these shops or mechanics they don't know are just setting themselves up for a big problem.
Old 04-24-18, 03:51 PM
Htony
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 1WILLY1
lol so, after having my usual tire shop break my TPMS and try to give me some used one that "looked similar" and "should work after you drive it for 50 kms " (they ended up repairing my old one and its working fine so far) , I tried a new shop today and they managed to raise the bar.

After politely warning them that the wheel had a TPMS and that I needed it after the tire was removed, I dropped the wheel off and was told to pick it up in an hour.

When I go back I get told that the wheel actually didn't have a TPMS, just a stub where it should be LOL

I told them my car has been reading that TPMS for a year and a half and there was forsure a sensor there.

They denied it, and pretended to act dumb, until I walk over the the tire machine and fine my sensor there, BROKEN in half, and even still they deny, saying that is an old sensor that's been there for days .

I took it home to match the numbers with the other 3 I have and yes, its a match, and now they are ordering me a new sensor and will install in in a couple days.

People who blindy trust these shops or mechanics they don't know are just setting themselves up for a big problem.
Wonder if you have one set of rims for two sets of tires for seasonal tire change? Then there is more chance of getting into trouble like this. All 3 cars in my family have two sets of riims/tires. I do seasonal change myself. If I need to go to a shop, I have a shop in the neighborhood which has been there for 35 years run by family. Very honest and they know what they are doing with all latest equipment. I know them, they know me by first name basis. I can trust them 100%.
Old 04-24-18, 04:31 PM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Htony
Wonder if you have one set of rims for two sets of tires for seasonal tire change? Then there is more chance of getting into trouble like this. All 3 cars in my family have two sets of riims/tires. I do seasonal change myself. If I need to go to a shop, I have a shop in the neighborhood which has been there for 35 years run by family. Very honest and they know what they are doing with all latest equipment. I know them, they know me by first name basis. I can trust them 100%.
No I usually have the stock OEM wheels for winter and a set of 22's for summer

I'm only swapping the tpms cause I'm selling my set from last year and installing a new set
Old 04-24-18, 05:40 PM
Htony
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 1WILLY1
No I usually have the stock OEM wheels for winter and a set of 22's for summer

I'm only swapping the tpms cause I'm selling my set from last year and installing a new set
I have TPMS trigger/scan tool, OBD tools for specific model cars like one for VAG, one for BMW, Tech Stream, etc. By the time time I go to a dealer service dept. or specialty shop I know what they suppose to do. One thing European cars do is when battery is replaced, you have to register it to the car using battery make, serial number and id. number. Otherwise battery won't get fully charged. So having necessary tools some times
save $$. Up here hourly labor charge at the dealers is 150 CAD. At age of 78, I can still do some of the works myself. Time to swap rims/tires. Have pneumatic tools and big floor jack for the job. Audi cars EPB applies the brake when car is parked. A VAG tool is needed to release it B4 doing any wheel, tire related work.
Old 04-24-18, 07:58 PM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

I have TPMS trigger/scan tool, OBD tools for specific model cars like one for VAG, one for BMW, Tech Stream, etc. By the time time I go to a dealer service dept. or specialty shop I know what they suppose to do. One thing European cars do is when battery is replaced, you have to register it to the car using battery make, serial number and id. number. Otherwise battery won't get fully charged. So having necessary tools some times
save $$. Up here hourly labor charge at the dealers is 150 CAD. At age of 78, I can still do some of the works myself. Time to swap rims/tires. Have pneumatic tools and big floor jack for the job. Audi cars EPB applies the brake when car is parked. A VAG tool is needed to release it B4 doing any wheel, tire related work.
That's cool man, I know nothing about TPMS and how they work tbh

On my Z06 I had the TPMS deleted out of the computer system, so I didn't have to deal with it.

I do all my wheel work though, like removal and install, I don't even like these guys jacking up my car, they have even gotten that wrong many times.

I have my own jack and a cordless impact wrench , makes it quite easy.
Old 04-25-18, 03:08 PM
sdudra
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Default update

After an online survey and my comments regarding my TPMS not working when leaving, I got a call first thing this morning asking me to bring it by for them to look at again. I wont be able to bring it to their shop until Friday, but I expect no difference. But I will give them the benefit of the doubt.

I will report back with what happens.
Old 04-27-18, 05:54 PM
Mekoz
Rookie

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

TPMS sensor is not automatically registered when replaced. The reset switch has nothing to do TPMS registering(relearning). In this case reset switch's purpose is to reset the threshold of pressures. When tires are inflated corrctly and push the reset. Then when pressure goes down from that point the display warning comes on. Please understand the purpose of reset switch. To read new id. of TPMS and register it, you'll need Tech stream or TPMS trigger/scan tool( I have a Autel TS501). What kind of tire shop breaks sensor stem(repairable with a kit)) or does not know Lexus cars does not pick up new TPMS ids. When I had Acura MDX, it picked up new TPMS id. automatically. Some software engineering in Lexus cars are so primitive! MDX had clear display of which wheel is losing air too. Another example is when I play foreign songs, my wife's MB car displays name of song, singer's name, even with pictures in foreign language. Lexus displays all question marks. Does not know how to translate languages. There are some tutorials out there regarding Lexus TPMS.on Youtube. The TPMS tool is very handy just make sure it covers your car when choosing one.
hey,
you mention that techstream can read new tpms? Can it infact display the new tpms ids? I ask because i bought a set of wheels with tpms already on it but i dont have the tpms ids. I do have techstream and ateq quickset. I just haven’t gotten the time to install it yet and thats my only concern. Thanks
mike

Old 04-27-18, 08:56 PM
Htony
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Mekoz

hey,
you mention that techstream can read new tpms? Can it infact display the new tpms ids? I ask because i bought a set of wheels with tpms already on it but i dont have the tpms ids. I do have techstream and ateq quickset. I just haven’t gotten the time to install it yet and thats my only concern. Thanks
mike

Little confusion here. Tech stream allows you to read TPMS ids. already registered or let you enter new id.s only. No, it can't read new sensor id. (This is a job for trigger/scan tool) So when you plan to use Tech stream to register new TPMS id, B4 sensor is installed jot down id. from each sensor. Using that id. with Tech stream you can type in ids. one by one within time limit. Otherwise you must repeat the whole thing again.
Easiest way of doing it is write down all ids. on note pad then copy and paste one by one(this method is faster than keying in one by one) Now our family cars all have indirect pressure monitor. They don't have
TPMS sensors. The real problem with Lexus is ECU has only one memory space to store and remember one set of 4 or 5 TPMS ids. , 5th one is the spare tire if it has TPMS) Some other cars have two spaces; one set for summer and one set for winter. Or it automatically picks up new sensors. IMO it means the ECU is interrogating newly found sensor ids and store them meaning TPMS handling ECU software is better written.

To write better coding, it needs more non volatile memory space, if ECU is designed with too little amount of non volatile memory, this will be handicap, cause of making software improvement impossible.In your case you should 've jot down new TPMS ids B4 installing it. I think Ateq quick set can keep two sets of TPMS. With thiss tool you can load either set's ids. into ECU. Believe there is Youtube tutorial for Ateq Quckset tool.

Last edited by Htony; 04-27-18 at 09:01 PM.
Old 02-28-22, 11:33 AM
whytry
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I know old thread, but I needed to make sure I did not loose it as it has what looks to be a how to for techstream to get my new sensors setup.
Old 03-01-22, 10:32 AM
yyymmm31
Intermediate

Received 227 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by whytry
I know old thread, but I needed to make sure I did not loose it as it has what looks to be a how to for techstream to get my new sensors setup.
---
More detailed DIY TPMS instruction is here:
DIY Replacing TPMS Sensors - 2007-2009 LS460/LS600
----