LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

A/c slow

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-18 | 11:00 AM
Caflashbob
Instructor

Default A/c slow

Numerous posts here about “slow” nav stack. Not sure what exactly was that was meant to refer to but my personal “slow” serms to be the air conditioning system. Black car it’s noticeable enough to have us manually kick up the fan speed.

tech stream changeable? Low charge? Anyone else have any ideas?
Old 04-24-18 | 11:44 AM
Oliver Enterprises
Former Sponsor

Caflashbob - In my experience as an automotive engineer, for a couple years (sort of as a side project) I did A/C system audits. We rarely found any issues at the plant. It is a robust method used in an auto plant to build the A/C system and charge it. Very effective. However, during the course of that study, it was made clear to me that 90% (or more) of the problems with an air conditioning system are due to a leak of refrigerant. The symptom may not necessarily be a direct result of low refrigerant, but the root cause is invariably (90% of the time or greater) due to a refrigerant leak.

So, if you're having slow cooling, I suggest to recharge the system in a way of your choosing. Consider adding refrigerant with stop leak in it, but if you're going to do it yourself, you must follow the directions on the can if it has stop leak in it.
Old 04-24-18 | 12:06 PM
Caflashbob
Instructor

It’s just that it’s slow to switch on the fan. Car running. Warm in car. Fan on auto. Fan is on lowest speed. Hit climate button. Manually turn up fan speed. Auto light goes out. After cooling down hit auto button. Works better.

some times in hot sun through the side windows does not seem to ramp up fan speed.

maybe just black/black car?

How does everyone else’s work?.
Old 04-24-18 | 12:23 PM
Oliver Enterprises
Former Sponsor

Instead of increasing the fan speed. Try lowering the set temp lower, just to see what happens. If it's as low as it goes already, then the fan should have sped up by itself.
Old 04-24-18 | 01:07 PM
Htony
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Oliver Enterprises
Caflashbob - In my experience as an automotive engineer, for a couple years (sort of as a side project) I did A/C system audits. We rarely found any issues at the plant. It is a robust method used in an auto plant to build the A/C system and charge it. Very effective. However, during the course of that study, it was made clear to me that 90% (or more) of the problems with an air conditioning system are due to a leak of refrigerant. The symptom may not necessarily be a direct result of low refrigerant, but the root cause is invariably (90% of the time or greater) due to a refrigerant leak.

So, if you're having slow cooling, I suggest to recharge the system in a way of your choosing. Consider adding refrigerant with stop leak in it, but if you're going to do it yourself, you must follow the directions on the can if it has stop leak in it.
Refrigerant leak issue is not only on automotive system. It's every where; residential, industrial systems as well. One sure sign of refrigerant level being too low is ice build up on evaporator.
Old 04-24-18 | 01:37 PM
Oliver Enterprises
Former Sponsor

Htony - I believe you. It's amazing how well a car's A/C system works, and for how long it works, seeing the beating cars take traveling the roads. Those systems you mention are static.