LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Repair of 2008 LS Armrest Surface

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-18, 12:04 PM
mtrimarc
Driver School Candidate

Received 15 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by scubadvr1
Same problem with the drivers side arm of my 2008 LS460. I found a repair shop that said they do the repairs for the nearby Lexus dealership when they get their cars back off lease, etc. Most importantly, he told me the reason the cracks appear is because of the skin oils on your arm that soak into the armrest. So, theoretically, if you mostly wear long sleeved shirts this should not be a problem - 90% of the time I drive with short sleeves on. Anyway, he did the repair for a couple hundred bucks. He used a patch of some sort that matched the color exactly and was applied using a hair blowdryer. It "melted" the patch into place; then he rolled over the patch while still warm with something that created false "dimples" on the patch so it matched the dimples on the rest of the arm. It worked well; I tried not to put my bare arm on the door until selling the car about a year later; the patch held up well during the year.
Thanks scubadvr1, that's exactly the kind of repair I was thinking could be done relatively cheaply. In the past I think I've seen kits that work that way, but I'd just as soon have a pro do it, if it's not much more than a couple hundred $. Being able to match the color exactly is key.
Old 04-01-22, 06:34 AM
MarkEdward
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help?

Originally Posted by BMW7_LS430
Lol.
I agree 100%. On top of it, It makes no sense that the area above armrest is leather wrapped but the armrest is not. They could have just done the other way round if they wanted to save cost of whatever they were thinking.

I have a nice option to get all 4 armrests leather(vinyl) wrapped in Atlanta for $360 total but unfortunately they work only on week days and logistically I just can't do it in foreseeable future. I was just looking to do something in the interim.

Edit: wrapped like post below at same place. Thanks ngaybuon55
BMW7_LS430 I live in Atlanta & I need the contact information for shop that wrapped your armrests. Like everybody else I'm having the same issues w/ my armrests. You can text me their information at 404-583-4358. Thanks in advance & make it a great weekend!
Old 04-01-22, 07:51 AM
BMW7_LS430
Instructor

Received 125 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by MarkEdward
BMW7_LS430 I live in Atlanta & I need the contact information for shop that wrapped your armrests. Like everybody else I'm having the same issues w/ my armrests. You can text me their information at 404-583-4358. Thanks in advance & make it a great weekend!
It was the same shop mentioned in this post. https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...l#post10191758
Please ask ngaybuon55 as I do not have the contact information. Shop was in Lawrenceville or around that. I was going to do it but I couldn't fit it into my schedule. Eventually I applied for GLG warranty. All the pieces were approved and I didn't pursue wrapping it. Car ended up getting totaled before those pieces could come in. Bought 2016 in my signature and don't have to worry about it anymore. I will be sure to post the information if I can find it.
Old 04-01-22, 10:19 AM
MarkEdward
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help

Originally Posted by ngaybuon55
mtrimarc
Do more shopping around on the upholstery store. I did my for $100 each and/ or $360 for all 4 armrest included assembly labor at my Atlanta local shop. The result can not compare to manufacturing comfort package but much better than original rubber plastic. My armrest melting and sticky and look worst more than your before leather wrap job done.
ngaybuon55 If you get this message I need your help. I live in Lawrenceville, I found your post about your armrests on your LS 430 & wanted to know the name of the shop you have your armrests done at in Gwinnett County? Thanks in advance & make it a great weekend!