LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

transmission drain & fill data

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-18 | 04:39 AM
texas008
Advanced

Default transmission drain & fill data

Have done 5 transmission drain & fills during past 16 months.
Keeping a record here, to compare notes with other DIY'ers.
Date Temp Drain Fill
5/07 65C 2600 2250
5/12 40C 1600 2000

------------ original post here: -------
The latest D&F was on 5/7, did it 1 hour after the commute, drained out 2600ml, fluid temperature ~65C.
Filled back 3 quarts of new fluid, start car, shifted between gears for a minute,
and then when draining out the excess trans fluid, I closed the overflow plug before reaching "thin stream" to compensate the higher than required fluid temperature (35~42C). Was able to back fill 2250ml at fluid temp ~ 65C.

Probably the transmission is lacking ~300ml of fluid, which means ~3% error, considering 10.5 quarts of total transmission fluid.

ATF fluids are mostly base oil, assuming a thermal expansion coef. of 0.0007, total volume of 10.5QT (9933ml), temperature increase of 40C, the volume expansion is 0.0007*40*9933=278ml, very close to what was observed.

Last edited by texas008; 05-14-18 at 04:35 AM.
Old 05-10-18 | 08:12 AM
JLAWS
Racer

I wish Lexus and other brands kept the damn transmission fluid check dipstick. My 2008 has 95K miles and runs very smooth. The Lexus and Toyota dealers wants over $300 to do a flush and fill. I'll problem let them do it for me since the drain and refill at the same amount might not be the correct amount going back in if I do it. Small price to pay vs damaging your transmission
Old 05-10-18 | 08:57 AM
texas008
Advanced

thanks a lot for the advice.
wondering if the transmission level accuracy is really that critical,
considering a total of 10.5 quarts of fluids, a 300ml error means 3% of total fluids.

Originally Posted by JLAWS
I wish Lexus and other brands kept the damn transmission fluid check dipstick. My 2008 has 95K miles and runs very smooth. The Lexus and Toyota dealers wants over $300 to do a flush and fill. I'll problem let them do it for me since the drain and refill at the same amount might not be the correct amount going back in if I do it. Small price to pay vs damaging your transmission
Old 05-10-18 | 09:07 AM
Caflashbob
Instructor

Drain for me was $275 including the strainer. 6-7 qts.

back flush was $325 with 16 qts,

interesting that the dealers do a flush.
Old 05-10-18 | 10:27 AM
Caflashbob
Instructor

Steve runs a cleaner first through the trans with his backflush trans fluid change. Then switches the valves and fills the trans with 16 qts. Engine running.

He mentioned that the 92-95? Es300’s had a replaceable “filter” in the trans. No others. He does not drop the pan. Was a dealer service guy for many years before opening his own shop.

Old 05-10-18 | 11:51 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by JLAWS
The Toyota dealership is charging the same as the Lexus dealership? You should not have a issue if you take 2 identical clear containers, drain into one, then fill the other with the same exact amount of new fluid and put it back in, I don't think there is any way they are so sensitive that a little more or less fluid is going to harm it especially when they hold so much fluid.
Old 05-10-18 | 12:54 PM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Originally Posted by texas008
thanks a lot for the advice.
wondering if the transmission level accuracy is really that critical,
considering a total of 10.5 quarts of fluids, a 300ml error means 3% of total fluids.
Good question on the accuracy because most cars give you a little wiggle room with that level...does the 460? All I can say is I've under and over filled it and drove quite a few miles with the overfill...to the point it expanded and came out through the pan gasket...probably 10,00 miles of driving it like that before I realized I overfilled it.as for the slight underfill...I drove maybe a week.

Guy at the dealer said its critical not to underfill it, and he's supposedly seen trannies ruined from it rather quickly.
Old 05-10-18 | 02:20 PM
Kennyr44
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Caflashbob
Steve runs a cleaner first through the trans with his backflush trans fluid change. Then switches the valves and fills the trans with 16 qts. Engine running.

He mentioned that the 92-95? Es300’s had a replaceable “filter” in the trans. No others. He does not drop the pan. Was a dealer service guy for many years before opening his own shop.

Well he's wrong about the filter in a LS460 not being replaceable. I bought a paper filter and I changed a paper filter and it was not a dream.

Last edited by Kennyr44; 05-10-18 at 02:32 PM. Reason: edit
Old 05-10-18 | 04:45 PM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Kennyr44
Well he's wrong about the filter in a LS460 not being replaceable. I bought a paper filter and I changed a paper filter and it was not a dream.
Yup it's not a mesh strainer like some techs think, it's paper. And using a cleaner with a tranny flush machine? I cringe when I even hear there are still shops doing that.
Old 05-10-18 | 05:25 PM
BMW7_LS430
Instructor

LS460 transmission fill temperature range is

35-42C

If you are filling at 65C, you have undefiled.
It doesn't really matter at what temperature you are draining. Filling needs to be in the range.

(LS430 transmission fill range is 45-55C)
The following users liked this post:
texas008 (05-11-18)
Old 05-10-18 | 05:48 PM
Caflashbob
Instructor

Originally Posted by Doublebase

Yup it's not a mesh strainer like some techs think, it's paper. And using a cleaner with a tranny flush machine? I cringe when I even hear there are still shops doing that.
you think his 27 years of experience was done incorrectly? My explanation and your assumption of what’s actually going on may be incorrect as far the “cleaning” step? Maybe just be more oil? You might call Steve yourself and voice your concern about his incorrect trans flush procedure? His number is 626-2564849.

The service interval book from Lexus new states no maintenance needed and the trans part in the fiche is a “strainer” under
the details.

Why would they put in a “filter” then tell you not to service it?

He mentioned the one model Lexus that had a filter that required servicing. In the parts fiche for all LS’s call the trans part a strainer and no service needed on any of the models.
Old 05-10-18 | 06:21 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

The service interval book from Lexus new states no maintenance needed and the trans part in the fiche is a “strainer” under
the details.
Just be aware that this only applies in the US of A. Here in Canada and everywhere else in the world, the manual states regular fluid changes "every 72 months/96,000 kms", (55,000 miles). I have my Maintenance Schedule right on front of me. The fact that the US is different is only because of marketing. Lexus wants to be competitive with other manufacturers - especially in the US where the market is huge.

I remember when BMW and many others claimed "no maintenance required" on their transmissions (such as my 7 series and X5), until companies like ZF said, "uhhhhh no, you can't do that. Even our transmissions need servicing".
The following users liked this post:
mckellyb (05-12-18)
Old 05-10-18 | 06:26 PM
Caflashbob
Instructor

Originally Posted by roadfrog
Just be aware that this only applies in the US of A. Here in Canada and everywhere else in the world, the manual states regular fluid changes "every 72 months/96,000 kms", (55,000 miles). I have my Maintenance Schedule right on front of me. The fact that the US is different is only because of marketing. Lexus wants to be competitive with other manufacturers. I remember when BMW and many others claimed "no maintenance required" on their transmissions, until companies like ZF said, "uhhhhh no, you can't do that. Even our transmissions need servicing".
good info. Thanks. Will have my trans flushed and plugs changed at 60k or before. Car has 57k on it. And it does run different if I get on it a fair amount. The previous owner probably never revved it hard.,.
Old 05-10-18 | 07:59 PM
Kennyr44
Lead Lap

I have no problem with the BG trans flush cleaning agent or whatever they are using. This doesn't scare me at all. It seems Lexus is calling the paper filter a strainer I get that. I don't even feel its a big deal that nobody is changing the paper filter. In my car I want the paper filter changed though. By the way, the mesh strainer that is in some cars does deteriate and tear. I have seen this happen many times. Nobody ever pulls a pan and even sees the mesh is torn. Not the case in a LS460 because its paper.
Old 05-10-18 | 09:03 PM
Caflashbob
Instructor

Originally Posted by Kennyr44
I have no problem with the BG trans flush cleaning agent or whatever they are using. This doesn't scare me at all. It seems Lexus is calling the paper filter a strainer I get that. I don't even feel its a big deal that nobody is changing the paper filter. In my car I want the paper filter changed though. By the way, the mesh strainer that is in some cars does deteriate and tear. I have seen this happen many times. Nobody ever pulls a pan and even sees the mesh is torn. Not the case in a LS460 because its paper.
had not known about the BG xchange system.

BG Quick Clean for Automatic Transmissions is a safe and effective solvent/dispersant cleaner that will quickly remove accumulated deposits from the valve body, filter screen and other automatic transmission components. This product is designed for use in the BG Power Flush and Fluid Exchange System.

note filter screen...

Quick Reply: transmission drain & fill data