LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Major Update

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-18, 01:44 PM
enoch861
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Exclamation Major Update

Just wanted to update everyone here but didn't want to revive my original thread.
Last week I had the Low Oil Pressure warning come up telling me to pull over immediately and shut off the car and all the dealer. A week prior I had just had maintenance performed on the car which included an oil change at the dealer so I gave them a call and let them know what was happening. There really wasn't much they could do for me without bringing the car in.
Went to start the car and the car sounded very bad, sort like a knocking sound. Very diesel-y and very mechanical. Checked the oil level and everything was good. So I got it towed to the dealer. Next day they call and tell me they removed the oil filter and drained the oil and found a bunch of metal shavings - basically I need a new engine. I instructed them to work with my extended warranty to figure out a solution. I got the call today that they approved a new engine so at this point it's a matter of getting the new engine, going over it, and then getting it installed.. A process that will definitely take a bit.
I did ask if they ever found out exactly what went wrong but all the warranty provider would pay for was removing the lower oil pan. There was a ton of metal shavings in there so it's possible the car threw a rod or something. We might never really know more unless the dealer decides to take it apart on their own dime.
For those wondering, the quote for a new (used) engine was around $8k - $9k. Obviously this can still increase if they find other things that need attention as they're working. Engine rebuild was over $20k.
Old 05-11-18, 01:56 PM
vmdw1980
Driver School Candidate

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Damn, sorry to hear that! Out of curiosity, what year and drivetrain is your LS? Also, do you have a Lexus warranty or other 3rd part option?
Old 05-11-18, 04:48 PM
enoch861
Pole Position

Originally Posted by vmdw1980
Damn, sorry to hear that! Out of curiosity, what year and drivetrain is your LS? Also, do you have a Lexus warranty or other 3rd part option?
Mine's a SWB '07 RWD.
I have a 3rd party warranty.
And I did forget to mention the car only had 97k miles.
Old 05-11-18, 05:18 PM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Received 337 Likes on 290 Posts

Originally Posted by enoch861
Just wanted to update everyone here but didn't want to revive my original thread.
Last week I had the Low Oil Pressure warning come up telling me to pull over immediately and shut off the car and all the dealer. A week prior I had just had maintenance performed on the car which included an oil change at the dealer so I gave them a call and let them know what was happening. There really wasn't much they could do for me without bringing the car in.
Went to start the car and the car sounded very bad, sort like a knocking sound. Very diesel-y and very mechanical. Checked the oil level and everything was good. So I got it towed to the dealer. Next day they call and tell me they removed the oil filter and drained the oil and found a bunch of metal shavings - basically I need a new engine. I instructed them to work with my extended warranty to figure out a solution. I got the call today that they approved a new engine so at this point it's a matter of getting the new engine, going over it, and then getting it installed.. A process that will definitely take a bit.
I did ask if they ever found out exactly what went wrong but all the warranty provider would pay for was removing the lower oil pan. There was a ton of metal shavings in there so it's possible the car threw a rod or something. We might never really know more unless the dealer decides to take it apart on their own dime.
For those wondering, the quote for a new (used) engine was around $8k - $9k. Obviously this can still increase if they find other things that need attention as they're working. Engine rebuild was over $20k.
You think this might have played a part in all this? I find it highly questionable. Maybe the tech did not tighten the filter or drain plug properly. What other maintenance was performed?
Old 05-11-18, 07:27 PM
Nospinzone

Received 418 Likes on 322 Posts

Sorry to hear this happened to you.

It would be interesting to know how or what failed, but I don't think we'll ever know. My guess is the dealer will ship it to Corporate where they will tear it down. They'll never tell you what they found.

Actually just after typing the above, I realized that is your engine. You have the right to take it and do what you want with it.
Old 05-13-18, 11:39 AM
mckellyb
Lexus Test Driver

Received 147 Likes on 109 Posts

If nothing else, I'd want the short block so I could make a glass table out of it.
The following users liked this post:
DedBirdDog (01-22-19)
Old 05-13-18, 12:11 PM
Ls460kidd
Rookie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

What 3rd party warranty company do you have and how much..sounds worth it
Old 05-13-18, 01:08 PM
enoch861
Pole Position

Originally Posted by sha4000
You think this might have played a part in all this? I find it highly questionable. Maybe the tech did not tighten the filter or drain plug properly. What other
maintenance was performed?
It's hard to say. I didn't see any oil leaking so I would assume everything was tightened properly. I really only had them do an oil change this time around, nothing special.

Originally Posted by Nospinzone
Sorry to hear this happened to you.

It would be interesting to know how or what failed, but I don't think we'll ever know. My guess is the dealer will ship it to Corporate where they will tear it down. They'll never tell you what they found.

Actually just after typing the above, I realized that is your engine. You have the right to take it and do what you want with it.
Yeah, I'll never know. I have thought about taking the engine but I have no idea where I'd store the thing. Also I don't know if I'll have the time to take it apart. If anyone in the MN area wants to take a crack at it, I'd be more than open to the idea. It would be really nice to know what went wrong.

Originally Posted by mckellyb
If nothing else, I'd want the short block so I could make a glass table out of it.
If you want it, I can definitely give them a call and see if they'll give it to me.

Originally Posted by Ls460kidd
What 3rd party warranty company do you have and how much..sounds worth it
I got my warranty from my Credit Union when I purchased the car. It's definitely a rebranded product but the main company providing the warranty is called CUNA Mutual. You can't get it directly from them as far as I know though since they provide their services directly to Credit Unions. And I only paid around $890 for 4year/50k. An absolute steal since it covers pretty much everything apart from regular wear and tear items. I'm not sure if I'd be able to get the same deal now or not especially since my car seems to be single handedly ruining the LS's reliability score (with this payout they would have paid more than 18k in repairs albeit I only take it to the dealer, so there's that).
Old 05-13-18, 03:20 PM
satiger
Instructor

Received 90 Likes on 65 Posts

Wow, sorry to hear that. Glad your warranty company is covering the cost.

In the past Lexus used to ship prematurely failed engine blocks and transmissions back to Japan to analyze and find the route cause. Not sure if they continue to practice the same now.

No leaks found, oil level was good when you checked but still had metal shavings - did you hear any sound when that low oil pressure warning showed up?
Old 05-14-18, 06:25 AM
enoch861
Pole Position

Originally Posted by satiger
Wow, sorry to hear that. Glad your warranty company is covering the cost.

In the past Lexus used to ship prematurely failed engine blocks and transmissions back to Japan to analyze and find the route cause. Not sure if they continue to practice the same now.

No leaks found, oil level was good when you checked but still had metal shavings - did you hear any sound when that low oil pressure warning showed up?
No clue. It's not really a currently production engine anymore so I'm not sure if they'd go through the trouble.

When the light came on the car definitely didn't sound. Sounded like a diesel with a loud knocking sound (unfortunately I didn't grab a sound clip). Basically the light came on to tell me the engine was toast haha. But other than the horrible sound, the car started up and idled just fine. Also seemed to drive just fine although the knocking sound got louder as you started to accelerate. Tow trucker said the engine was toast right when he heard it.
Old 06-03-18, 05:51 AM
enoch861
Pole Position

Got my car back on Monday. The total bill was $9144. My cost was just a $250 deductible. Engine seems to be running quite smooth so no issues there. I don't know if it's placebo or not, but the engine seems to be a lot quieter. The car will be going back to have some issues taken care of, though. The steering wheel for some reason is off center, so I'll be having them fix that. I also have some rattles over bumps that originate from the front so it's possible the control arms need to be replaced, so I'll be having them take a look at that as well.
Other than that, I did notice that for some odd reason my XM NavTraffic seems to be active. I'm not gonna try and log into my account or anything like that lest I do something and it turns off. Anyone have their XM NavTraffic suddenly start working in the past few weeks? I'm not complaining because it's very useful; just interesting that it's working even though I don't have an active subscription.

Last edited by enoch861; 06-03-18 at 06:23 AM.
Old 06-03-18, 07:08 AM
Benjam1n
Pole Position

Received 95 Likes on 74 Posts

Glad you got your car back and the extended warranty covered it. Yes I too have the extra green lines for traffic now. I think its a free promotion from SiriusXM. Enjoy that new (to you) quiet and smooth engine! I'm at 218k and my engine is still quite smooth, quiet, and powerful. I have limited extended warranty until 286k.
Old 06-04-18, 06:11 AM
mckellyb
Lexus Test Driver

Received 147 Likes on 109 Posts

XM traffic was enabled for everyone for a couple of weeks. I think it's done, now.
Old 01-22-19, 06:55 AM
enoch861
Pole Position

Now that my LS is at 109.8k miles and my warranty ends in 200 miles, I think it's time I provide another update. Around 200 miles ago I took it back in to get some more work done on it. My drivers side lumbar support had stopped working for some reason and there was a rattle during cold start ups and a couple oil seeps/leaks. The repairs which included some camshaft gears, water pump, lumbar, and a few other miscellaneous items totaled to almost 6k. Took it home and realized the bottom portion of the heated seat wasn't working, took it back and that was another 1.6k to get fixed.. Not sure how well the new seat bottom heats though after getting it back last night.. It doesn't get hot like it used to, but maybe I'm just crazy? I guess you guys can chime in and let me know I'd want to get it resolved in the next 200 miles in case it requires more money. All in all my $800 warranty has covered over 20k in repairs over the last 4 years. For those of you interested, I'd be more than happy to give a run down of all the repairs done to the vehicle since I've owned it, until now, to give you guys a full picture since everything is split up into different threads.
The following users liked this post:
NotFasty (01-22-19)
Old 01-22-19, 10:53 AM
texas008
Advanced

Received 100 Likes on 86 Posts

wow, that's a lot of repair on an 2007 LS460.
Wonder if this car was well maintained before you bought it.

Quick Reply: Major Update