LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H
View Poll Results: Would you purchase a warranty for a 2010 LS460 w/95K Miles
Yes purchase
40.00%
No don't waste your money
60.00%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Should I buy the extended warranty '10 LS460 95K Miles

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-18, 10:35 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by RNelson
Hi Everyone,

Thank you for your replies. A little more information...

I did inspect the car in person. Since it was at a very reputable dealer, I am trusting them to fix anything that does not pass their inspection. They will ensure that the brakes are within specs, check all fluids, change the oil, look for the basics that they would do with any used car taken in on their lot. They point blank told me they will turn it over to me in perfect condition and if I find anything they will address it period. They said the last thing they want is something negative on social media. My experience so far there has been great. I drove the car and it drove excellent. I did listen for clunks while driving as I knew there could be issues with the control arms. I really wanted to buy it at a lexus dealer, but I just could not find one there. Again it is a LS460, 95K Miles, very clean. I did review the carfax, no major issues. I also was able to go the lexus site and review service records, I did not find anything regarding lower control arms or brake actuator fixes. The VIN Number is JTHBL5EF7A5099705.

I noticed that BMW7_LS430 suggested that if I am a DIY person that is more reason not to get the warranty. Well I am 100%, I'm used to working on Mercedes and Porsches.

Thanks,

Rodney
If you DIY then no. I say don't waste your money on just getting a few more years warranty, something always happens right out of warranty anyway. If it was a hybrid, that would be a different story, those could be a money pit. Even with Air suspension I still think it is smarter just to keep your money and save it and DIY it/switch to coil overs, you will likely come out ahead. Get a PPI done, thoroughly inspect it and thoroughly research the history from all sources you can, call past dealerships it was at if possible and see if they can tell you anything about it.
Old 05-14-18, 01:06 PM
riknchar
Instructor

Received 228 Likes on 140 Posts

It sounds like the consensus is to forego the extended warranty and simply be prepared to fix things yourself as they break. That's generally sound advice for Lexus, if the car has been well cared for.

However, keep in mind that if the car has the air ride suspension (and you plan to keep it that way), the replacement shocks are very expensive, even if you can do the wrenching yourself. You could end up spending more than $2400 on suspension parts over 3 years (but the warranty company is betting you won't, and they almost always win in the long run).

For me, there's an intangible benefit of a warranty that's hard to quantify in dollar terms. It's the ability to use the car to its full potential without fretting about wearing things out. For example, until I had a warranty on my LS600hL, I had turned off the seat slide back when exiting, the rear shade roll down when in reverse, the mirrors tucking in when the car is locked, etc., to avoid wearing out any of the expensive motors. With a warranty covering all of those things, I'm definitely using them again, which enhances the car in my mind. It was an easier decision for me, though, because I was able to get a 6-year warranty (for $2800) that covers the suspension, electronics AND the hybrid batteries on my LS600hL. I may never need it, but if the batteries go, it will definitely pay for itself!

Just another perspective to consider...
The following users liked this post:
dlbuckls10 (05-17-18)
Old 05-14-18, 03:27 PM
joedaddy1
Racer

Received 192 Likes on 149 Posts

i would get it if control arms are covered.
Old 05-14-18, 05:27 PM
GregoryNP
Pit Crew

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

My used Lexus extended warranty paid $4,400 for my new upper and lower control arms at 70,000 miles
Old 05-16-18, 08:55 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 508 Likes on 385 Posts

Originally Posted by joedaddy1
i would get it if control arms are covered.
Aftermarket control arms (all 8) installed inc labor and taxes cost me about 1400 dollars at my indy. After 4 years ownership and 215,000 kms on my 08, the warranty would not have benefit me. The only other waranted item would have been my water pump, but that cost me 50 dollars and an hour of my time to do myself.
Old 05-16-18, 09:55 AM
joedaddy1
Racer

Received 192 Likes on 149 Posts

Originally Posted by roadfrog
Aftermarket control arms (all 8) installed inc labor and taxes cost me about 1400 dollars at my indy. After 4 years ownership and 215,000 kms on my 08, the warranty would not have benefit me. The only other waranted item would have been my water pump, but that cost me 50 dollars and an hour of my time to do myself.
yes, but it was non-Lexus parts, though.

Also, you seem to be DIY guy, most LS people are not.
Old 05-16-18, 12:34 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 508 Likes on 385 Posts

Originally Posted by joedaddy1
yes, but it was non-Lexus parts, though.

Also, you seem to be DIY guy, most LS people are not.
Yes, because the Lexus parts failed early, so why make the mistake twice? Aftermarket will be at least as good as OEM, cost a fraction of OEM and the aftermarket parts have a lifetime warranty. No brainer. I didn't DIY the control arms, my cost quote was based on parts AND labour. I did the water pump myself, cuz it was so easy, but even if I had paid a shop, it would have only added maybe two hours labor....so...250 all in?

Basically my point, is that if you INSIST on dealership OEM and dealership labor, MAYBE a warranty would pay off. The control arms are the only known issue with these cars that cost $$$. No transmission or engine problems have been reported here. In 4 years of ownership and 200k kms I have not spent anywhere near 3000 dollars. I will also say that I only spent what I did on control arms because I chose to do all of them and replace them as complete units rather that just bushings. If I had repaired only what was broken/worn, I would have maybe spent 4-500.

Last edited by roadfrog; 05-16-18 at 12:40 PM.