LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H
View Poll Results: Would you purchase a warranty for a 2010 LS460 w/95K Miles
Yes purchase
40.00%
No don't waste your money
60.00%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Should I buy the extended warranty '10 LS460 95K Miles

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-18, 12:58 PM
RNelson
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Talking Should I buy the extended warranty '10 LS460 95K Miles

Hi everyone,

I just purchased a 2010 LS460 at a Mercedes Dealer. They are actually going through the car right now and detailing etc. The did offer me an extended warranty. I need to decide in the next couple of days if I want it. At first I thought no way, if there is a car not to buy an extended warranty for, this would be it. However, I have been reading up on the forum and did just read a post where someone had their engine go at 95K miles. The details on the warranty are:

Plan: Milage Plus Level II includes seals and gaskets option
36 months / 36,000 miles
Price: $2,448
Deductible $100

The poll is Yes buy it No don't waste your money.

Thanks,

Rodney

Old 05-13-18, 01:01 PM
RNelson
Rookie

Old 05-13-18, 01:15 PM
comotiger
Pole Position

Received 294 Likes on 252 Posts

Originally Posted by RNelson
Hi everyone,
I just purchased a 2010 LS460 at a Mercedes Dealer. They are actually going through the car right now and detailing etc. The did offer me an extended warranty. I need to decide in the next couple of days if I want it. At first I thought no way, if there is a car not to buy an extended warranty for, this would be it. However, I have been reading up on the forum and did just read a post where someone had their engine go at 95K miles. The details on the warranty are:

Plan: Milage Plus Level II includes seals and gaskets option
36 months / 36,000 miles
Price: $2,448
Deductible $100

Thanks,
Rodney
Hi Rodney, congrats on your new-to-you LS! You are in for a treat with many years and miles of driving pleasure.

Regarding the warranty, no offense, but this issue has been discussed ad nauseum. Please read those threads and decide whether 3 years/36K miles of peace of mind is worth $2500 for you. Many of us have valued the peace of mind and purchased warranties; others have taken the view that the LS is so reliable that they are willing to take a chance that they will never need the warranty. By the way, check out the CNA warranty that riknchar bought recently. That may be a better value than the one you have listed. You should also not feel obliged to buy the warranty from the dealer.

If your vehicle is the base model without air suspension or AWD or UltraLux package, the warranty may not be worth it, provided the car has a well-documented service history with no red flags. Were the control arms and brake actuator changed? Those were problem areas. That case of the LS with the blown engine is the first one I have seen in over two years on this site. Lexus/Toyota engines can be fixed by any competent mechanic.
Old 05-13-18, 01:15 PM
enoch861
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

At $2.4k I'm not sure. I'd try to do some shopping to see if you can't get any better pricing first before you make a decision. Also check your local Credit Unions and see if they offer anything.
My car is an anomaly so I wouldn't take it as the standard since everyone else here hasn't really had any issues with theirs apart from standard maintenance and wear and tear items.
Old 05-13-18, 01:42 PM
RNelson
Rookie

Thank you for your replies. I have been reading more on the site, and there is tons of discussion on here regarding warranties...I will keep reading.

My problem is the car is still at the dealer, I have no idea if it has the air suspension, not even sure how to tell. Also, I don't have any maintenance records, so not sure if control arms or the brake actuator have been done yet.

Thanks,

Rodney
Old 05-13-18, 01:47 PM
comotiger
Pole Position

Received 294 Likes on 252 Posts

Thank you for your replies. I have been reading more on the site, and there is tons of discussion on here regarding warranties...I will keep reading.
My problem is the car is still at the dealer, I have no idea if it has the air suspension, not even sure how to tell. Also, I don't have any maintenance records, so not sure if control arms or the brake actuator have been done yet.
Thanks,
Rodney
So, you bought the car without inspecting or test-driving it? Have you looked at pictures of the car? That will tell you about the air suspension: if there are two rocker switches on the center console by the shifter, you have air suspension. Did you check CarFax and Autocheck? How many miles on the car? If you haven't signed the papers yet, I would advise you to check out all these issues first before purchase.
Old 05-13-18, 02:02 PM
Luscombe8A
Pit Crew

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

Thanks,

Rodney
Rodney,
The CL forum folks really need to know more about the vehicle to be able to advise you on the warranty.
AWD, RWD, miles, Air suspension, etc. A VIN # would be helpful.
The early 2010 models had systemic control arm issues, not sure if the one you are looking at had them addressed already.
Old 05-13-18, 04:11 PM
Nospinzone

Received 418 Likes on 322 Posts

Yes, not nearly enough info on you or the car to give an opinion.

That particular plan though is a little high.
Old 05-13-18, 05:34 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 506 Likes on 384 Posts

Always read the EXCLUSIONS, that will tell you if your warranty is any good to you. Reading what's covered is not as telling as want ISN'T. IMHO, save your money. That is also the advice of pretty much any consumer advocate, publication or consumer group. Ever wonder why the dealership spends more time trying to sell you a warranty than they do selling you the car? That should tell you something. The house is gambling that they'll come out ahead and you are gambling you will. The house almost always wins.
Old 05-13-18, 06:27 PM
BMW7_LS430
Instructor

Received 125 Likes on 98 Posts

Here is my not so straight answer.
Should I get warranty?
  1. After things break, I go to the dealer: Yes
  2. After things break, I go to my reasonable and trusted indy: Maybe
  3. After things break, I do DIY: No

I personally fall under category 3.
Old 05-13-18, 09:06 PM
RNelson
Rookie

Hi Everyone,

Thank you for your replies. A little more information...

I did inspect the car in person. Since it was at a very reputable dealer, I am trusting them to fix anything that does not pass their inspection. They will ensure that the brakes are within specs, check all fluids, change the oil, look for the basics that they would do with any used car taken in on their lot. They point blank told me they will turn it over to me in perfect condition and if I find anything they will address it period. They said the last thing they want is something negative on social media. My experience so far there has been great. I drove the car and it drove excellent. I did listen for clunks while driving as I knew there could be issues with the control arms. I really wanted to buy it at a lexus dealer, but I just could not find one there. Again it is a LS460, 95K Miles, very clean. I did review the carfax, no major issues. I also was able to go the lexus site and review service records, I did not find anything regarding lower control arms or brake actuator fixes. The VIN Number is JTHBL5EF7A5099705.

I noticed that BMW7_LS430 suggested that if I am a DIY person that is more reason not to get the warranty. Well I am 100%, I'm used to working on Mercedes and Porsches.

Thanks,

Rodney
Old 05-13-18, 09:43 PM
BMW7_LS430
Instructor

Received 125 Likes on 98 Posts

Great!
I bought my LS430 9 years ago. I had an option to keep warranty then or return it. I returned it mainly because it did not cover electrical issues.
9 years later, I spent less than half cost of the warranty on repairs AND maintenance with DIY.
Old 05-14-18, 03:25 AM
Nospinzone

Received 418 Likes on 322 Posts

Rodney, that being the case, I would skip that warranty.

As for

They point blank told me they will turn it over to me in perfect condition and if I find anything they will address it period.
you will get that in writing, right?
Old 05-14-18, 06:10 AM
enoch861
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

If you're used to working on Mercedes and Porsche, skip the warranty.
Old 05-14-18, 07:36 AM
Mbbarron
Intermediate

Received 43 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by BMW7_LS430
Here is my not so straight answer.
Should I get warranty?
  1. After things break, I go to the dealer: Yes
  2. After things break, I go to my reasonable and trusted indy: Maybe
  3. After things break, I do DIY: No

I personally fall under category 3.
I like this helpful decision making guide. Based on you being a DIYer and the ever so helpful folks on this forum, I would skip the warranty. However, I would do a thorough PPI inspection, specifically looking for common issues for your MY such as control arms and brake actuator. Just helps to know what you're getting yourself into with any new purchase.

Quick Reply: Should I buy the extended warranty '10 LS460 95K Miles