LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Lexus 2007 LS460 Owner, questions, side mirror

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-18, 08:51 PM
diamente
Pit Crew

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Lexus 2007 LS460 Owner, questions, side mirror

I just bought a 2007 Lexus LS460, 131K miles. It is one of my dream cars with this body style and color.

I am learning alot reading this forum. A few of my questions may be redundant. If so, please kindly point a way.

Questions
1. It looks like I got a hater already. I parked as far away from everyone and in the corner at Walmart. Came home and noticed right side mirror was hit and plastic housing was broken. Should I go to a junkyard to pick one up or should I install the newer side mirrors? The new one come with light on bottom of the mirrors. 2011 side mirrors. or maybe something like this from ebay? Ebay Link

Any link on how to install it yourself? Believe it or not I live close to Tommy from Music Box in South El Monte. I can just bring the car to him to modify.

2. My daytime driving light is not as bright as I want them to be. Any good headlight replacement? LED headlights?

3. My stereo is outdated. I don't have ML. I read people with ML are upgrading their stereo systems also. I am thinking going to a stereo shop to install stereo system and possibly to upgrade headlights. Some shops do both stereo and lights. I read that people with Focal speakers. I looked up the price. One pair is $450? wow.

4. What's the cost of owernship of a 2007 LS450 with 130K miles? From the Lexus online service history and carfax, it seemed the previous owner changed engine oil religiously. BUT I didn't see any engine coolant, pcv valve, distributor oil, transmission, brake fluid changes in online history and carfax. The used car dealer told me not all services done are shown in carfax. It looks like I might have to do them myself.

I am in SoCAL . With this 22MPG and premium gas, I am spending quite a lot more on gas.
I read posts with control arms issues. I need to save up money to fix. The stereo system might have to wait.

5. I got my Lexus from a BMW dealer in Phoenix Arizona. They charged me Vehicle Theft Registration (VIN number etching on car body)-$185 and $695 for dealer prep fees. Google searches show those are scam fees. Anyone had to pay those fees? I am negotiating with them after I have bought the car to give me a refund. Otherwise, I am complaining to Arizona Secretary of State.

Background:

My first time owning a Lexus. I was looking at GS on Craigslist. The owners were selling because they were getting a LS. I thought why not just get a LS instead. I have always wanted a gold LS with this body style. I got one for $14K after dealer fees. Interestingly after reading here and asking my friends, it seems that gold is not a popular color. Gold is my favorite color, however. My camry is also gold. I think of this Lexus LS 460 as Camry's bigger sister.

I have been a 2004 Toyota Camry 4 cylinder owner for, well, 14 years. I over done maintenance on that car. I changed water pump, 4 struts, shocks, rack and pinion. I change Mobil 1 synthetic oil with Mobil 1 oil filter, transmission fluid religiously. I changed front brakes (easy), top oxygen sensor (bank 1 sensor 1) my self. I recently changed the alternator (Denso 100AMP) in a shop for $450 (ouch). I could had done it myself but I did not know it was the alternator that's making noise. I flushed out engine coolant, brake fluids myself. I spend $1000-$2000 a year on my camry for maintenance.
The following users liked this post:
sha4000 (05-14-18)
Old 05-14-18, 04:57 AM
Benjam1n
Pole Position

Received 95 Likes on 74 Posts

That LS will last you a very long time if you maintain it like your Camry. Looks great. Sorry to hear about the haters, maybe next time go to Sam's Club instead!
The following users liked this post:
diamente (05-14-18)
Old 05-14-18, 08:24 AM
diamente
Pit Crew

My car comes in regular suspensions. Just wondering if we can convert it to air suspensions. Is it worth to do so? Parts from Ebay is not too bad.

I know I have to get 4 of them. This one is for the rear:

ebay link to air suspension

If these last me 100K miles then I am happy.
Old 05-14-18, 10:43 AM
comotiger
Pole Position

Received 295 Likes on 253 Posts

Originally Posted by diamente
My car comes in regular suspensions. Just wondering if we can convert it to air suspensions. Is it worth to do so? Parts from Ebay is not too bad.
I know I have to get 4 of them. This one is for the rear:
ebay link to air suspension
If these last me 100K miles then I am happy.
Hi, congrats on your new LS. Best wishes for miles and years of driving pleasure!

It's interesting that you want to convert from regular to air suspension! Most people want to go the other way to avoid the headache of replacing the air suspension if and when it finally goes bad. But the simple answer to your question is No, you cannot convert to the factory air suspension. It's not just the air suspension, but you need all the other components (compressor, wiring, and integration with the car's computers) etc. You might be able to get aftermarket systems, but my guess is that it would be ridiculously expensive, and not worth installing on a 2007 LS with 131K miles.
Old 05-14-18, 12:41 PM
JoeMe
Driver School Candidate

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Welcome! I'm in almost the exact same spot as you, bought almost the same car (but white) last week, complete with a crack on the right side mirror housing. Planning on leaving the cracked mirror housing as is. Pretty sure I'm going to have to change the valve cover gaskets, spark plugs, and high pressure fuel pump gasket. The lexus driver webpage service history for me does show the water pump having been replaced so they must have replaced coolant at the same time. From what I've read here, lexus pretended you never have to change transmission fluid on this car, but that seems crazy so I'll add that to my list as well.

The main draw of this car over other luxury sedans for me was the high reliability, so I'm hoping the above is the extent of the work I'll need to do beyond air/oil/cabin filters + oil.
Old 05-14-18, 01:48 PM
diamente
Pit Crew

I just ordered $1,300 from ebay : spark plugs, cabin air filter, air filters, ignition coil, transmission fluid, differential fluid, etc.

I still need to order engine coolant, fuel pump gasket, valve cover gasket. I pray my control arms do not break, otherwise, I need to buy them too.

I really dislike the clublexus interface. I couldn't post pictures correctly.

I tried posting links from ebay but it erased mine at least twice.

See enclosed attachment for my order. some items appear twice because of editing error.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
1.pdf (1.36 MB, 122 views)

Last edited by diamente; 05-14-18 at 01:58 PM.
Old 05-14-18, 02:21 PM
Nospinzone

Received 423 Likes on 326 Posts

Firstly, welcome to CL. And congrats on your new car and I wish you good luck with it.

You have a lot of questions and I know some members here will help you, but first some general help. We have a FAQ/DIY sticky at the top of this forum. Take a look at the subject topics there and you may find answers to some of your questions. Also, please read the FAQ on the banner at the very top of this forum. You will find out why you can't (yet) post certain items -

( 2) Signature capability, visitor messaging capability, URL posting ability, full garage access and limiting (smaller) private message boxes are in place for these members who don't meet the 30 day / 30 post criteria as well. This is due to a massive influx of automated and overseas spammers who abuse these features on a daily basis.

Those fees you were charged are just so bogus. Good luck getting at least some of that money back. The dealer prep fees you may have to eat, but the VIN etching is a scam.
Old 05-14-18, 02:28 PM
diamente
Pit Crew

I have been negotiating with the dealer for a while in good faith. They agreed to refund the $185 Vehicle Theft Registration. On Carfax, I noticed the dealer put in new tires. I have not seen this brand of tires but tires do cost some money. I am eating the dealer prep fee because the dealer said they advertise that fee everywhere and upfront. I told them that's fine. They need to earn some money.