LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

High RPM Idle

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-18, 01:12 PM
propcop
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default High RPM Idle

Recently purchased a New/Used 2013 LS460 AWD.
The engine runs around 850 to 900 RPM at idle and that causes the car to sort of jump into forward or reverse gear. My other two cars idle around 700 RPM and go into gear in a nice smooth motion.
In reverse I have to keep one foot on the brake because the car moves to fast, also when putting the transmission in Drive it kind of leaps ahead. My old LS430 did the same similar thing at 950 RPM. Lexus dealer said it was within Lexus specification for a 2005 LS.
Couldn't stand it any more and traded it in for a LS460 that's doing the same thing, I hate the car because of it.
Is there any way to reduce the idle to say 650 RPM?
Does the aftermarket software/device I hear so much about on CL allow the RPM's to be changed. My 2013 Lincoln MKS works so nice and the throttle is so much more comfortable than my LS460, think I made a mistake with this purchase and yes I would dump the car if there is no way to reduce the idle speed.
99.9 percent of my driving is city, my average speed is 22 MPH with many lights on my daily route.
Am I just unlucky with this car or there other sufferers out there that can relate to the same problem?
Back in the day all you needed was a straight bladed screwdriver to fix a high idle.

Thanks ...........
Old 05-25-18, 07:59 AM
Oliver Enterprises
Former Sponsor

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts

Hey propcop. I personally have not heard of this issue. We've got a thread going called Low Idle. Look it up. I would be curious if you could duplicate what causes the low idle, and if so, where would your idle be under those conditions?

As for your problem, I suggest this: Get the Carista app. And a Bluetooth wireless OBD-II connector. The Carista app lets you do tons of custom stuff to the car, plus it lets you view the DTC (Diagnostic Test Codes). It would be great if it had DTC's set, at least that would give you some direction.

The next idea, is a long shot. I have an older Corolla, that would high idle terribly. Turns out it was air leaking past the intake manifold, throwing off the AFRs and causing the high idle. The DTC always read that the O2 sensor was out of spec. When actually the O2 sensor was working fine, and indicating that the mixture was over-lean ... continuously. But the computer thought that the O2 sensor was no good because the reading never varied (stayed lean). There was a TSB about this, and replacing the intake manifold gasket cleared that problem up nicely. Could this be your car's issue? I sort of doubt it, as we would probably be seeing this more commonly on the forums. At least, I've not seen this problem before. But due to the problem as you're describing it, it seems like there's something physically not set right with your vehicle.

Is there service history on your vehicle? Has the engine had repairs? The factory does a 1st rate job of putting the vehicle together. Dealers do a first rate job of mucking it all up. Just my opinion. If you recently purchased it, was it purchased from a dealership? Maybe the dealership "fixed" something and their handiwork might have led to this issue.
The following users liked this post:
propcop (05-29-18)
Old 05-25-18, 09:06 AM
fwhomeboy
Racer

Received 213 Likes on 179 Posts

So, would the best bet be Carista or Techstream?

Last edited by fwhomeboy; 05-25-18 at 09:07 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 05-25-18, 10:43 AM
Oliver Enterprises
Former Sponsor

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts

I have no experience with techstream. From what little I've read on here about it, techstream is much more detailed, and more like for a mechanic. And as I understand it is more expensive (I could be wrong, I know very little about it). Carista is less expensive (I want to say it was $15 or $20, and is the only app I've ever paid for), and gives you a good peak into the goings on of your vehicle. With customization and a look at the OBD-II codes, with the ability to reset them. Seems like the BT wireless OBD-II connector dongle was about $15 as well. The choice is yours.

Other guys on here know a lot more than me. Maybe they'll chime in.
Old 05-25-18, 11:16 AM
fwhomeboy
Racer

Received 213 Likes on 179 Posts

Originally Posted by Oliver Enterprises
I have no experience with techstream. From what little I've read on here about it, techstream is much more detailed, and more like for a mechanic. And as I understand it is more expensive (I could be wrong, I know very little about it). Carista is less expensive (I want to say it was $15 or $20, and is the only app I've ever paid for), and gives you a good peak into the goings on of your vehicle. With customization and a look at the OBD-II codes, with the ability to reset them. Seems like the BT wireless OBD-II connector dongle was about $15 as well. The choice is yours.

Other guys on here know a lot more than me. Maybe they'll chime in.
The Carista is 40 bucks now.
Old 05-29-18, 08:53 AM
propcop
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks everyone for your comments.
I'll bring it over to Lexus this July while one vacation and see what they say.