LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

2013+ Control Arms

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-18, 05:04 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,730 Likes on 1,956 Posts

Originally Posted by COOLIS
I get where you're coming from, and could see this being the case if I were buying a European car, but Lexus is known for their quality/reliability and that is what I expect. Control arms failing prematurely is not the definition of quality to me and shouldn't be to you either. Whether or not someone can afford the repair doesn't mean you should be complacent if it is in fact a design flaw.
Regardless of how reliable something is, there are ALWAYS issues when you buy a used car and when your car gets older. On early LS400s it was alternators and starters (VERY expensive job on an LS400), on the LS430 its ML amps, on the LS460 its control arms. Think of it this way, on the LS400 and LS430 you had a timing belt to replace every 90k miles at a cost of over $1,000...on the LS460 you don't have that.

The point is, what are you going to do about it? The LS460 is out of production, they have designed replacement arms that in the very least greatly reduce the frequency of repair needs (you can say "you don't know that" all you want, but overwhelmingly the cars with issues are 07-10 cars). No other repair is coming for these arms...gotta deal with it. There are aftermarket arms, there are replaceable bushings, etc to mitigate cost. If you insist on using the dealer those options won't be available to you and thats your choice.

"You should not be complacent", what does that even mean? That you will refuse to buy a used LS460? Lexus doesn't care. They don't profit off of sales of used cars as a carmaker. And whats your other option if you want a flagship car? The only other option is to buy a much more problematic and potentially costly European flagship car...which makes no sense.

If you don't feel this is overblown as many of us do, simply don't buy one of these cars and move on. Whats the point in complaining? Its just annoying to those of us who have bought the car and are happy to share with members who have the issue common sense practical solutions. "Damn Lexus!" is not a response that helps anybody.
The following 2 users liked this post by SW17LS:
02gita (06-07-18), Duck05 (06-08-18)
Old 06-07-18, 11:56 AM
Caflashbob
Instructor

Received 194 Likes on 153 Posts

My local suspension/tire shop quoted me $700 to fix the front suspension stuff. Said at 100k miles.

i am at 59k. I do get some light clicking noises on hard turns up slopes.
Old 06-07-18, 12:20 PM
R Z
Pole Position

Received 343 Likes on 262 Posts

Just last evening I was talking to my neighbor at a neighborhood fish fry. He told me Lexus informed him the control arms in his 2011 were bad. He has 90K mile, but has the extended warranty. So, any car can have the issue. It's worth the repair to enjoy the ride.
Old 06-07-18, 01:06 PM
COOLIS
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

I guess those who complained about the sticky dash/doors in the LS and the cracked dashboard in the RX and GX should have also just been complacent and not raised the issue with Lexus? Look what happened to them... many of them got new dashboards and door panels and were saved thousands out of their own pocket! My point being that if this is a design flaw (Lexus basically admitted it was by updating the control arm mid-2010), then Lexus should address it and not stick owners with the cost.
Old 06-07-18, 04:34 PM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Received 337 Likes on 290 Posts

These are things that should be researched and known before you buy any used car. If you buy the car anyway I don't see what you have to complain about. All the Lexus vehicles that I've owned and still own never made me get mad at Lexus because a part failed.
Old 06-07-18, 06:46 PM
Luscombe8A
Pit Crew

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

I guess those who complained about the sticky dash/doors in the LS and the cracked dashboard in the RX and GX should have also just been complacent and not raised the issue with Lexus? Look what happened to them... many of them got new dashboards and door panels and were saved thousands out of their own pocket! My point being that if this is a design flaw (Lexus basically admitted it was by updating the control arm mid-2010), then Lexus should address it and not stick owners with the cost.
I appreciate your perspective but I think your logic may be a bit flawed here. Sticky dashes and other interior parts are cosmetic and not subjected to constant dynamic movement and loads like the suspension parts. Suspension parts will wear out at some point. On some vehicles the bushings wore out sooner than expected and had to be replaced. Defective materials on the interior components are not the same issue and Lexus stepped up and acknowledged that.
Old 06-08-18, 03:23 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,730 Likes on 1,956 Posts

Suspension parts are wear items, melting materials are not. Hence why they covered the melting materials and not the suspension parts. Parts are changed and improved upon routinely as a car is tweaked throughout its run. They upgraded the arms to be more durable, if they fail during the warranty its covered. if they don't, its not. Thems the breaks.

Bottom line is, if you're unwilling to or concerned about ponying up the $1,500 or so it costs to repair the control arms, this sort of car isn't for you.
Old 06-08-18, 04:15 PM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 317 Likes on 275 Posts

............but Lexus is known for their quality/reliability and that is what I expect.
Well, this was how it used to be back in the 1990s and early 2000's but now that Lexus has established itself, they no longer go the extra mile for the brand. It's a Toyota and you can expect mass market manufacturer reliability, performance and customer service.

Nice to know that your dealer will negotiate on repairs. Mine used to, too, but won't any longer - "le prix fixe"!
Old 06-09-18, 04:13 AM
GregoryNP
Pit Crew

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

My Lexus Used car warranty just paid a $4,000 control arm bill.

Originally Posted by UDel
No it isn't. It is a major issue with the LS460 and a design failure. Getting it done at the dealership costs about $1000 and normally more and the LS has 8 of them so it is a major cost and something to look out for. If you go aftermarket, avoid a AWD model, and do it yourself or know a independent that is reasonable then it is much less painful but it is still a big issue with these cars especially when you are looking to buy a used one. Every single used LS460 for sale I have test driven so far had suspension issues/noises likely related to the control arms, some were 2011's and 2012's, the noises on some were just terrible, never heard so much loud creaking, crunching, etc in my life even on old beater crappy econo cars. I have had cars up to 180K miles and never had to replace suspension components but the only car that was making suspension noises mainly in cold temps was my Lexus GS430 but nothing needed to be replaced or was recommended to be replaced, it was just noisy.

There is no evidence the issue has been fixed on the 2013's either so it is something a potential buyer is going to have to deal with and since a Lexus mechanic is saying the 2013's/mmc are having issues that is likely more proof.